• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people start smoking?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
My parents owned a tobaconist shop, I was at boarding school, and if you didn't know how to smoke by the age of 15 you were in trouble (even more bullying)

finalfrogo

beckysoup61 said:
Just curious. I was just looking at Circle One's thread and the question came to mind, why do people smoke?

So, some questions for you

Do you or have you ever smoked? (If yes, go on to the other questions)

When did you start?

Have you ever tried to quit?

Why did you start smoking?

What are some health issues you've had over it?

Would you encourage others not to smoke?

Thanks y'all. Just a bit curious!
I'm not a smoker, but there are few explanations behind the initiation of smoking:

1."Wanting to look cool"
2. Peer pressure
3. Curiosity
4. Belief that it will help with stress
5. Rebellious attitude
6. Boredom

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
im quitting cold turkey.... it was hard for the first week, but after a while, i just got on with what i needed to do.

i always said that when i do quit, it will be by will power alone.... and guess what, it's working :)
Congratulations!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
beckysoup61 said:
...Do you or have you ever smoked?...
NOPE!! Never smoked anything. Even before I was aware of the 'Stop Smoking' campaigns, cigarette and cigar smoke were 2 of the most vile and disgusting things that had ever crossed my nostrils. I have just NEVER had the urge to suck on the end of something burning. God bless those of you that do, and I hope you find the strength to quit. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I started smoking, out of curiosity from years of abstaning from "bad habits," when I was 16. I was smoking 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day about a year ago, and I have gradually cut back to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, if that. I have tried quitting dozens of times, cold turkey, to no success. One reason I am quitting is my lungs not working as well.

Squirt

JinnOnTheWinds said:
The reason I stsarted smoking was that it was percieved as a cool thing to do, probably because I was told not to do it I did it anyway.
This is the only honest answer I've seen yet. You started because it was the cool thing to do. That, I think, is the reason why everybody else started -- regardless of what they might say. ;)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
well we all know i smoke because it makes me look goooood ;)

... actually, i havent smoked anything, ever.... *shrugs*

Booko

Deviled Hen
Squirt said:
This is the only honest answer I've seen yet. You started because it was the cool thing to do. That, I think, is the reason why everybody else started -- regardless of what they might say. ;)

Nah, I don't think so for my roommate who was the waitress. She only smoked at work for about a year, or more like "pretended" to smoke. Eventually it caught up with her and she started smoking at school too, but never very heavily, thank goodness.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttons* said:
well we all know i smoke because it makes me look goooood ;)

... actually, i havent smoked anything, ever.... *shrugs*

I smoked a couple of dumb HS kids while I was driving in my mamavan.

Hey, they wanna race, I'll give 'em a race. Knockout

Squirt

Booko said:
Nah, I don't think so for my roommate who was the waitress. She only smoked at work for about a year, or more like "pretended" to smoke. Eventually it caught up with her and she started smoking at school too, but never very heavily, thank goodness.
I'm confused. She "pretended" to smoke? Why would someone "pretend" to smoke?

finalfrogo

My grandfather (may he rest in peace eternally) had been smoking for decades. When he found out it was detrimental to his health, he quit in a day. I don't know how he did it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Squirt said:
I'm confused. She "pretended" to smoke? Why would someone "pretend" to smoke?

Because she wanted a brief break, and her boss at the restaurant wouldn't care if she was just having a quick smoke. If she was just standing there doing nothing, then she'd catch static for it.

A related story from my late stepdad was a time when the foreman on the job *****ed some guy out for stopping a moment to eat an apple when he "should be working." The guy's response was to point to a group of guys who were smoking when they ... should be working.

From my pov, they made our office building smoke-free some years ago, which was fine, but the smokers would be away from their desks sometimes and no one seemed to mind. But God forbid anyone else disappear from their desk for 30 minutes at a time! What shiftless lazy workers we all are!

I don't know if this weird standard is still around these days, and possibly it has changed a lot, but I remember it all to well that if you were smoking and not working that was ok, but if you didn't smoke, too bad for you...you just keep your nose to the grindstone.