• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people start smoking?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Just curious. I was just looking at Circle One's thread and the question came to mind, why do people smoke?

So, some questions for you

Do you or have you ever smoked? (If yes, go on to the other questions)

When did you start?

Have you ever tried to quit?

Why did you start smoking?

What are some health issues you've had over it?

Would you encourage others not to smoke?

Thanks y'all. Just a bit curious!

standing_alone

beckysoup61 said:
When did you start?

I started when I was fifteen, but I didn't smoke often in those days since cigarrettes were harder to come by.

beckysoup61 said:

I did quit cold turkey for a while (based on my political beliefs :D), but once I got to college I got so stressed I had to start again.

beckysoup61 said:

I just wanted to try it since I heard it was great for relaxing and releaving stress and it certainly is!

beckysoup61 said:

Well, going up a few flights of stairs has become more of a challenge. :D Oh, and I also aquired a bit of a smoker's cough.

beckysoup61 said:

I would, but I wouldn't stop anyone from lighting up and if someone would want to bum their first cigarrette ever from me, I most certainly would give it to them - because hey! Sharing is caring! :D It's up to each individual whether they want to smoke or not though, but I certainly think it's better not to smoke because of the health risks.

Circle_One

beckysoup61 said:
Just curious. I was just looking at Circle One's thread and the question came to mind, why do people smoke?

When did you start?

Yep, I smoke, but (as you obviously know from my thread) am in the process of quitting.

I started when I was 15 and this is my first time ever trying to quit.

I'm trying to remember what made me start smoking. I don't know WHY I started, but I remember the situation. It was back when I first started the professional groupie bit, and I was hanging out on some band's tour bus. The guitarist and I were doing ample lines of Coke (I did lots of drugs way before I started smoking) and he pulled out a pack, lit one and offered one to me. OH, I remember now. He said he smoked tons when he was wired because it gave him something to do (you get extremely fidgety) and kept his hands busy. Made him not feel that panicky, my-heart's-beating-a-mile-a-minute-and-it's-going-to-explode feeling. So I tried it (it works).

I haven't really experienced any health issues yet, thankfully.

I would DEFINITELY encourage others not to smoke.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:

Nope. Our parents smoked enough for the entire family. Neither my brother nor I wanted anything to do with it.

My father dropped dead of a heart attack at 45. That's was enough to convince me not to start, if I'd had any idea of doing so.

And up until recently, when Georgia banned smoking in public places, I had to weigh carefully where I dared to go, because for whatever reason, some cigarettes give me an instant migraine. I think its the extra additives they put in.

I wonder what percentage of people there are whose movements are restricted because they have health problems when they are around smoking?

I have quite a few friends with the same problem. Hm...actually all of my very close friends, and most of my relatives, are in the same boat. We're all very careful about where we go out to eat.

robtex

Veteran Member
A friend of mine had an interesting "started smoking story" He was in the army and was in a forest. It was raining and he was on watch with a buddy. He was shivering because it was cold in the rain. His buddy who was also shivering lit-up and immediatly stopped shivering. My friend noticing this, said "hey, gimme one of those" and he became a smoker.

Booko

Deviled Hen
robtex said:
A friend of mine had an interesting "started smoking story" He was in the army and was in a forest. It was raining and he was on watch with a buddy. He was shivering because it was cold in the rain. His buddy who was also shivering lit-up and immediatly stopped shivering. My friend noticing this, said "hey, gimme one of those" and he became a smoker.

Speaking of the army, I know more than a few guys who started there.

The thing is, when you're standing in line and they say, "smoke 'em if ya got 'em" -- if you don't smoke and they want something done, who d'ya think they're gonna pick? So lots of guys start smoking just to avoid work details.

The same thing used to be true in waitressing years ago. If you were out back smoking, you were just taking a short break and your boss wouldn't say anything. If you weren't smoking, then you were lazy and needed to get back to work. I had a roommate started smoking this way.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Yes. I smoked from ages 17 to 24...heavily...

When did you start?

I was seventeen.

All of my attempts prior to trying to conceive Ruthie were half booty attempts. I truly enjoyed smoking and didn't want to give it up. When I found out I was pregnant with Emmie...I remember taking my time smoking one cigarette...savoring it...because I didn't smoke again until after she was born and I made the decision to cease pumping breast milk.

I never smoked around her...but when I was in the car (sans kid) and was at work...I smoked like a chimney.

I lost my Aunt in January of 2004 and my Grandfather in February 2004..both had smoked heavily and both suffered and perished from ailments partially brought on by years of smoking. My Grandfather's struggle to breathe towards the end of his life was heartbreaking.

So...I quit for two reasons...one...I didn't want to suffer like my Grandfather and two...smoking increases your chances for ecotopic pregnancy...being paranoid...and wanting a viable pregnancy...I quit smoking in February of 2004 and was pregnant in March. :)

I have had maybe two or three cigarettes since Ruthie's birth and the desire to fully take up the habit again...isn't there. Honestly, I do miss smoking at times...

On a dare by a boyfriend. I was furious with him because he kept insisting that I didn't have the guts to try. So, I did...and after one...I kept going...

Colds that last several days/weeks longer...it was harder to exercise...

Yes and no. I don't want anyone to suffer as my Grandfather did. Smoking isn't good for you.

I'm not one to preach to people over it, though.

To this day, there are days where I want nothing more than a good cappuccino and a Marlboro Light. When I drink...I want a cigarette, as well.

But...I've been successful at fighting the urge...and minus the two or three cigarettes I had over a year ago...I'm smoke free.

Bishka

Veteran Member
That's awesome, I really glad to hear all this from all of y'all. I bet it is really hard to stop. I've found the reasons that you all started to be varied and interesting, but it's seemed as if you choose basically the same reasons to stop.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
beckysoup61 said:
J

When did you start?

1: Yes.
2: When I was 15
3: Nope.
4: I loved the smell, and when I tried it I felt very relaxed.
5: None.
6: No, people can do what they like.

Peace :)

(I am a social smoker (at parties or with friends))

Edit: Maybe I would not encourage people to smoke, but I wouldn't discourage the, if you get me... :s)

randb

yes, I still smoke

When did you start?
3 years ago

like a thousand times

too much stress

loss of stamina

yes. If anyone's planning on starting, then you shouldn't!!!! Trust me. Its extremely hard to quit.

Thanks y'all. Just a bit curious

Matt88

never smoked, probabaly never will. My grandma's been smoking for over 50 years, her lungs are in good condition, and she hasn't had any illnesses or even a smokers cough, though she smokes 1-2 packs a day. You don't always get the horribly bad side-effects. I smoked some pot out of an apple once, if that counts.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to smoke... My doctor advised me to quit because of it compounding serious lung problems, so I did.

When did you start?
11, so ~7 or 8 years ago

I tried quitting a few times, would last a month or two, then get upset or stressed and start again...

My brothers did, and my friend wanted to try and knew where we could get some, so we did...

I have asthma, so it worsened considerably

Yes.

Not a problem :)

Edit:
I bet it is really hard to stop
Pain in the rear... suggestion... don't quit cold turkey.

Ori

Angel slayer
beckysoup61 said:

When did you start?

I used to smoke back last century, I originally started in 97 and then I quit in 99. The reason I stsarted smoking was that it was percieved as a cool thing to do, probably because I was told not to do it I did it anyway. I had some brief breathing problems back then after I quit, but nothing majorly serious.

I wouldn't recommend smoking, it's not nice.

Crystallas

I started smoking the first time I went to war. There were no tents, or safe passages for us until 5 months into the deployment. Everything that could go wrong did, and smoking was one of them.

I understand why people start. Not everyone has the same stress enviroment. Some people have a great deal of bad luck, start smoking because sympathy from the people that matter doesnt exist, and it becomes addicting. Not to mention everyone who doesnt smoke has to tell you to quit. Pretty annoying, and makes a lot people immune to the thought of quitting.

I don't know if I regret starting yet. There was quite a lack of "other than substance" relaxing material. I didnt want to come out crazy. So for my situation, Im glad I did. People cant tell that I was military one bit now, and I like it that way. I cut down a lot, and I dont think about smoking as much, so who knows if I'll ever quit or smoke until im 120 years old(like some of these record old people that smoke forever.)

Would I encourage others to not smoke?
Ive known 4 people well who had a complete nervous breakdown that put their lives in reverse. All of them have 1 thing in common, didnt smoke or have any way to satisfy themselves enough to keep them steady(and please spare me of the unwanted advise on how to handle them, because many tried dearly to help them.) Im not going to tell someone who is perfectly fine to smoke, but if I see someone who I care about going through an unimaginable scenario. Im going to try my best to help, and if giving them a cigarette is what it comes down to, then thats life.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
yes
When did you start?
two years ago
no, but i am now
i was very stressed - i was about to tell my parents "i am gay"
non
no, when asked i always say "it's your choice, but be aware of the possible health problems." - i never say "don't start" because that is fully hypocritical.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Mister Emu said:
Pain in the rear... suggestion... don't quit cold turkey.

im quitting cold turkey.... it was hard for the first week, but after a while, i just got on with what i needed to do.

i always said that when i do quit, it will be by will power alone.... and guess what, it's working :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Crystallas said:
Would I encourage others to not smoke?
Ive known 4 people well who had a complete nervous breakdown that put their lives in reverse. All of them have 1 thing in common, didnt smoke or have any way to satisfy themselves enough to keep them steady(and please spare me of the unwanted advise on how to handle them, because many tried dearly to help them.) Im not going to tell someone who is perfectly fine to smoke, but if I see someone who I care about going through an unimaginable scenario. Im going to try my best to help, and if giving them a cigarette is what it comes down to, then thats life.

I had a close friend and college roommate who was really stressed out and would take to walking around in the cemetary late at night by herself. It wasn't a safe place to be at all. We at least convinced her to take her boyfriend's big dog with her when she went out on her 2am walkies because she couldn't sleep. Finally, she started smoking and it helped her stay calm a lot, and we were all pretty happy about it, given the circumstances.

We figured eventually she'd get to a point in life where she'd give it up on her own, and she did.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I seem to recall there are studies that have found 98% or 99% of people who start smoking do so before they are 21 years old, except in the military. This seems to be the main reason the tobacco companies pitch their advertising to youth (even though they claim not to).

Since the human brain doesn't quite forming until around the age of 22, and the areas responsible for foresight are among the last to develop, it could be argued that a factor in people's taking up smoking is a lack of foresight.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
I seem to recall there are studies that have found 98% or 99% of people who start smoking do so before they are 21 years old, except in the military. This seems to be the main reason the tobacco companies pitch their advertising to youth (even though they claim not to).

Since the human brain doesn't quite forming until around the age of 22, and the areas responsible for foresight are among the last to develop, it could be argued that a factor in people's taking up smoking is a lack of foresight.

Interesting....