• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people limit their potential by working for someone else?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Thanks, Rick. Did you start your own contracting business right out of school? Also, of what sort are the other businesses you and your family own?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
doppelgänger;937595 said:
Thanks, Rick. Did you start your own contracting business right out of school?
No, I had to be a Journeyman for 4 years before I could be a master electrician and 4 years after that before they let me take the contractors test for a license.
Also, of what sort are the other businesses you and your family own?
We have a vending machine business (mostly gumball machines, my daughter has almost 100 of them) and a few candy bar and soda machines as well.

My wife has an interior design business as well as working as a nurse. Last but not least, we eBay.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
And who exactly was going to raise our kids during this period of our life, while we were working like crazy?
My wife and I took turns. I have to admit that she did more than I, but she required me to participate far more than any of the other men I knew, (or what stories they told anyway).

The time you spend with your children is priceless. I played with little cars with my grandson Saturday evening for about an hour. You have to enjoy moments with children at every opportunity.

I know you will not be satisfied with that answer, so I would say time management is key. Schedule your priorities, don't prioritise your schedule.

BFD_Zayl

if everyone worked for thelselves, and tried to excell, they would fail. without the grunts, the general employees, a business will crumble. lets here it for the averge
joe! without him, economies around the world will collapse.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Sometimes there isn't any other option than to seek employment.

Technically, everyone works for someone.

You work for whoever pays you.

A farmer works for the milk company
The milk company works for the consumer...

A forestry worker works for the sawmill
The sawmill works for the company
The company works for the exporters
The exporters work for the foreign importers
The foreign importers work for the builders
The builders work for the consumers

The techinician works for the net cafe staff
Who work for the owner
Who works for... who else but the consumer.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Sometimes there isn't any other option than to seek employment.

Technically, everyone works for someone.

You work for whoever pays you.

A farmer works for the milk company
The milk company works for the consumer...

A forestry worker works for the sawmill
The sawmill works for the company
The company works for the exporters
The exporters work for the foreign importers
The foreign importers work for the builders
The builders work for the consumers

The techinician works for the net cafe staff
Who work for the owner
Who works for... who else but the consumer.

Yes, everyone has a boss, so to speak. It's not about answering to someone because we all do. It is about reaping the fruits of your labors. Who is the beneficiary?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Why is working for someone else "limiting potential"? Is potential to be measured in a dollar value?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I own my own business... it's the third one I owned and really my third career. I started out in automotive working for someone when I was 12. I owned my first business in 1980. A business called "Autotech" in Gainesville Florida. I had no work ethic and should not have worked for myself. It DID show me my vulnerabilities. I worked in automotive until 1999 (30 years total) and started my second business: NetDoc Inc. I was a network consultant for medium to small businesses. That was phased out when I found my current career: ScubaBoard - Online Dive Community - Scuba Equipment, Travel and Clubs!. There have been some HUGE bumps (mostly associated with my vulnerabilities), but the FREEDOM I enjoy because of the nature of my business is truly awesome!

I was taught something a long time ago: the difference between a business and a practice. A business will make money when you AREN'T there. A practice just won't do that. I make money even when I sleep now. It's a great feeling. The perks are nice too, but I won't go into that! :D

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
With the sorts of skills I have there is little chance of tapping my potential without working with others. There simply isn't enough demand for them from small businesses and individuals for me to make enough money otherwise.

What I do try to avoid is falling into the trap of working in a job I hate to buy things I don't need to impress people I don't like. That's been much harder than I ever would have imagined.