• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people go to Church?

When I was a little kid, I didn't go to Church and I still don't see the point of it now, but maybe that is because I don't really feel anything for it - like no 'spiritualness' or anything. Also even though I openly admit that I don't go to Church, when ever we have mass at school (I go to a Catholic School), I feel like a hypocrite most the time and I don't really know why. Does anyone out there feel anything for Church or feel the same way as me? (And Why?)

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
When I was a little kid, I didn't go to Church and I still don't see the point of it now, but maybe that is because I don't really feel anything for it - like no 'spiritualness' or anything. Also even though I openly admit that I don't go to Church, when ever we have mass at school (I go to a Catholic School), I feel like a hypocrite most the time and I don't really know why. Does anyone out there feel anything for Church or feel the same way as me? (And Why?)

I don't think you are a hypocrite for attending mass if it is required or expected of you at school. It may take a shift in mindset to change this feeling. Instead of looking at it as observing a religious tradition that you don't find compelling, look at it as attending a school function as is expected of a student. Perhaps look at it as supporting your friends that do hold the ritual sacred (if you have any friends that do, of course). Or, being that it is an educational setting, take the opportunity to learn as much as you can about the setting, the ritual, the people, etc. Anything is worth learning about. It doesn't cost anything and you never know when a little snippet of information will come in handy.

Anyway, I'm not a Christian at all, so I really don't feel compelled to go to church either.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I had a Christian friend who attended church when he was young. Then one day he skipped church to go boating on a remote lake. At some point, he abruptly became aware that he was feeling far more spiritual, as he put, than he'd ever felt in church. After that, he seldom attended church.

I don't think you are a hypocrite for attending mass if it is required or expected of you at school. It may take a shift in mindset to change this feeling. Instead of looking at it as observing a religious tradition that you don't find compelling, look at it as attending a school function as is expected of a student. Perhaps look at it as supporting your friends that do hold the ritual sacred (if you have any friends that do, of course). Or, being that it is an educational setting, take the opportunity to learn as much as you can about the setting, the ritual, the people, etc. Anything is worth learning about. It doesn't cost anything and you never know when a little snippet of information will come in handy.

Well most of my friends are confused with their own religious beliefs, yet mostly can't be bothered to try and think for themselves as to what they think on things, and the only friends who are certain of their religion are the atheists, so by going to mass, I'm not really supporting anyone. In fact I have inky ever seen two people at my school take mass seriously and they look like they are getting some kind of connection from it, those people being one of my two R.E. teachers, and the other being the headteacher.
I suppose you are right in the sense of it being an educational type thing so I can gain something from it like that, but I am interested in trying to find out why/how some people have a connection with it, as I have never felt anything much for it

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps conspicuous conformity factors in, a public demonstration of support for the values and mores of the society.

Gui10

People go to church because they think it gets them closer to god, to happiness, to the community, etc...

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Some go for the community, some go to hear a good sermon, some go to be entertained by the church band or choir, some go to hear the Gospel, some go to pray, some go to be closer to God and others, some go to receive the most precious Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins and for life everlasting.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
To me that doesn't seem very spiritual, more like a social event. That's why most people at my school who attend mass outside of school go

Church doesn't need to be spiritual though. The Greek word actually meant community. Community is a great thing to have, and in that, a sense os spirituality can be found.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
it is commonly said within the hindu comunity that people visit the temple for four main reasons firstly there is a need in humanity to be social , to gather together as a comunity . this is prehaps the most common reason for attendance . the second is that there is a deep seated wish to gain some understanding of life , thirdly to gain personal blessings and to pray for what we see as benificial results , and lastly and least commonly as this occurs only in those who have had their questions answered , are those who come to surrender to god , who come to know and pay homage to god .

it is not said in any judgemental way it is simply acknowledged to be the natural propencity of human beings .

to me the sad thing in the west is that we are taught that science can answer the second question , 'the deep seated wish to gain an understanding of life' and it is the veiw of modernity that the scientific veiw has replaced the the outdated religious outlook , to the efect that the church has lost credibility due to what most see as the outdated creationist veiw . this is not so prevalent amongst hindus as they see a deeper meaning to life which sciece and scientific descoverys do not rival .

however personaly I feel that there is a deep need for felowship amongst humans , this also we can see operating on many levels ,firstly the need to form comunitys around a core beleif and morality , secondly a wish to belive that prayer counts , that by coming together our sympathys may be expressed and our joint wish for a better world may be heard .and lastly in some there is still a deep wish to know and become one with god .
one does not nececarily need to be a regular church atendee to search for god , but there is often there is simply a great need to feel at ease amongst others of similar understanding .

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Most people tell me they go to church services for the fellowship. I am incredibly shy, so I actually don't get a lot of fellowship- people don't go hunting for the ladies who are trying hard not to be noticed (some of us don't have to try, ;) )

I supposed someone who is not spiritual may find Church services fascinating or entertaining- there is music and and stuff.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe It is difficult to have a conection unless there is an adult connection, someone who attends church and exemplifies church beliefs. For me it was my grandmother who attended church regualrly, watched religious shows on TV, sang hymns during the day and loved as only a Christian can love.

The purpose of church is to worship God in community because there are dynamics that aren't there in individual worship.

I believe although a feeling of spirituality is a good thing, it isn't necessary for worship. Sometimes I think my best praise comes when it is a sacrifice because I don't feel much like praising God.

I believe this may come from an expectation that spirituality should be happening. I believe true hypoccrisy is when you pretend to believe something but don't. Since you are required to be there it isn't a reflection of your beliefs but the beliefs of the school.

I don't allow feelings to interfere with my committments. I might feel like being on the golf course but my committment is to church. One might well ask why I am committed and the answer is love. I love the church because I love Jesus and I love Jesus because He first loved me.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe this may come from an expectation that spirituality should be happening. I believe true hypoccrisy is when you pretend to believe something but don't. Since you are required to be there it isn't a reflection of your beliefs but the beliefs of the school.

I wouldn't know about school but how many people are going to come out and say that they aren't really believers in church...fact is you're never going to know who believes, who doesn't

I wouldn't know about school but how many people are going to come out and say that they aren't really believers in church...fact is you're never going to know who believes, who doesn't
Most people will tell you what they believe as a fellow student or something I suppose, but they lie whenever it comes to someone in authority, but that is because most of them will just get angry without trying to understand your point of view or without trying to help you understand what they think and why

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

It's not the correct prescription for you.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
To assemble with the saints. We are not to forsake that. Of course, that's why we are supposed to go, but that may not be why many people go.