• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic church so much

Pah

Uber all member
Trinity said:
We call for their intercession, because, while they were on earth, they managed to cut through all of the useless information we are given and were able to concentrate on Christ. We ask them to pray for us, as we ask our priest or other holy people here on earth to pray for us. "Life is not over, just changed".

I'm a little confused about the steps to sainthood. Isn't the candidate responsible for three miracles? Isn't that in a request in prayer which is directed to the candidate?

-pah-

Ernestine

My issue with the Catholic church is its support of idolatry even though the Bible is very clear that people should not worship idols--there are Rosary beads, the cross, Saints, Mother Mary, all of which Catholics worship, when the one diety they should be worshipping is Jehovah God. The only helper that any of us needs in order to approach Jehovah in prayer is to acknowledge his son, Jesus Christ. All of those other things are unnecessary.

huajiro

Ernestine said:
My issue with the Catholic church is its support of idolatry even though the Bible is very clear that people should not worship idols--there are Rosary beads, the cross, Saints, Mother Mary, all of which Catholics worship, when the one diety they should be worshipping is Jehovah God. The only helper that any of us needs in order to approach Jehovah in prayer is to acknowledge his son, Jesus Christ. All of those other things are unnecessary.
Yet another contradiction. You shouldn't worship anyone but "God". Then you can worship Jesus as he is part of the holy Trinity. It does get very confusing.

Christianity seems like a nightclub, if you know the right people, you can get right in.

Trinity

Ernestine said:
People often think of Catholics as worshiping those idols. But the fact is that they use to "idols" to help them worship God. God is always calling us to pray, but there are some times we lose focus and find it difficult to worship God, this is when our help comes in handy

Pah

Uber all member
Trinity said:
People often think of Catholics as worshiping those idols. But the fact is that they use to "idols" to help them worship God. God is always calling us to pray, but there are some times we lose focus and find it difficult to worship God, this is when our help comes in handy

That seems at odds with my question
I'm a little confused about the steps to sainthood. Isn't the candidate responsible for three miracles? Isn't that in a request in prayer which is directed to the candidate?

How do you reconcile the process of becoming a saint with the "use" of those "idols". Doesn't the documentation for sainthood contain statements from the those that that prayed to the saint-to-be?

-pah-

SoulTYPE

People enjoy attacking the Catjolics, because it is very easy to do so.

Almost any text in the bible can be taken out of.

Trinity

pah said:
That seems at odds with my question

How do you reconcile the process of becoming a saint with the "use" of those "idols". Doesn't the documentation for sainthood contain statements from the those that that prayed to the saint-to-be?

-pah-
Not really. Catholic pray (talk to )for the saint and ask them to pray (ask) God what we are requesting, on our behalf.

People enjoy bashing the Catholic Church because there are a lot of things that are wrong with it. in my mind, saying lord's prayer and hail mary's over and over agian is pointless.

Trinity

bandgeek500 said:
People enjoy bashing the Catholic Church because there are a lot of things that are wrong with it. in my mind, saying lord's prayer and hail mary's over and over agian is pointless.
Prayer is pointless?

bandgeek500 said:
This is exactly what Trinity is talking about. Comments like these are much more acceptable in our society than similar criticisms of the "pointlessness" of other religions. For your information, Catholics and many other Christians derive much spiritual satisfaction from reciting these prayers--this is their heritage, their tradition, their culture. Whatever happened to being tolerant of other cultures? Or is the Catholic Church an exception to this rule?

linwood

Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic Church so much?
Because of all the bad it has inflicted on the world.
You can claim all the good it has done, thats fine but to many many people it doesn`t compare to the bad.
Now..I can list all these bad things and you can refute each if you like and we can go that route or you can just accept that your religion has done alot to cause people to mistrust it.
Try to understand those feelings and work towards dispelling them.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Trinity said:
Prayer is pointless?
Not if it's sincere...mindless repetition of a set of words IS pointless, and that's what I think was meant. There is a perception that Catholics believe you can do the wrong thing, go to confession, get a pennance of 3 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers (or whatever)and all will be right with the man upstairs. Thus Hail Mary's and Our Fathers are seen to be mere lipservice and mindless repetition of essentially meaningless words; something akin to writing out 100 times; 'I will not throw chalk at the class nerd'. You don't have to mean it, you just have to go through the motions until detention is over.

Trinity

linwood said:
Because of all the bad it has inflicted on the world.
You can claim all the good it has done, thats fine but to many many people it doesn`t compare to the bad.
Now..I can list all these bad things and you can refute each if you like and we can go that route or you can just accept that your religion has done alot to cause people to mistrust it.
Try to understand those feelings and work towards dispelling them.
Well, yes I can accept that bad things have been done, but just s&g, lets look at a few. This may be the type of propaganda against the Church I was talking about to begin with.

Trinity

lady_lazarus said:
Not if it's sincere...mindless repetition of a set of words IS pointless, and that's what I think was meant. There is a perception that Catholics believe you can do the wrong thing, go to confession, get a pennance of 3 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers (or whatever)and all will be right with the man upstairs. Thus Hail Mary's and Our Fathers are seen to be mere lipservice and mindless repetition of essentially meaningless words; something akin to writing out 100 times; 'I will not throw chalk at the class nerd'. You don't have to mean it, you just have to go through the motions until detention is over.
If this is the perception, I feel sorry for all the confusion. This is a protestant ethic you are describing here, "we are so terrible, we can't do any good, God will have to save us with His Grace". Confession is an opportunity to start anew, to be set free from this mindless repetition of sin. The prayers are mere offerings, this has been going on for many thousands of years. Thank you for your frankness.

linwood

The Dark Ages

The initial split between Orthodox Judaism and the followers of Jesus caused a moral dilemma for Jesus` followers and it was determined Christ’s word had replaced the old Mosaic laws in the OT.
Therefore the punishment regarding Mosaic laws was no longer followed even if the law it pertained to still was.
Christians did not kill, stone or otherwise torture those who did not follow their Gods word.
They saw it as a fundamental difference between them and the old Judaic priests, a large part of the foundation that made them “Christians”. Even during their own persecution by the Jews and Pagan Romans they went to their unjust often torturous deaths content in their righteousness in the “Peace” of Jesus.

For 3 centuries or so these “Christians” lived this way even under penalty of death.

After Constantine organized the church, laid down the canon, and melded the government to the church they became what had persecuted them.
They began systematically punishing “heretics” who had for the previous 3 centuries followed the word of Jesus as written in the Christian texts.
They started claiming divine inspiration for some texts while they ordered all others burned and their followers killed, excommunicated or tortured into submission.
We know this because some of these texts survived (Nag Hammadi Library).
Letters, diaries Catholic Canon, and correspondence of and between the Orthodoxy and these “heretic” sects provide ample evidence of the religious persecution and inhumane lengths taken to insure the supremacy of the Orthodox Church.

Alliances made between warlords and the Church entangled religion and politics so tightly they became one and the same.
From here the Church started issuing decrees to entire nations to war against “heretics” for Orthodox purposes.
Hundreds of thousands were killed.

During the massacre at Beziers against the “heretic” sect the Albigenses when, the soldiers asked how they could distinguish between heretics and orthodox, the Vatican representative told them.. "Kill them all, God will know his own," and they slaughtered forty thousand men, women and children .

They had not only distorted Christianity through their canon but they used this distorted canon to persecute those who followed Christ’s word.

Trinity

linwood said:
The Dark Ages

The initial split between Orthodox Judaism and the followers of Jesus caused a moral dilemma for Jesus` followers and it was determined Christ’s word had replaced the old Mosaic laws in the OT.
Therefore the punishment regarding Mosaic laws was no longer followed even if the law it pertained to still was.

Matthew 5:17 'Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete the law.

There was no confusion, Jesus told them just what was going on.

During the massacre at Beziers against the “heretic” sect the Albigenses when, the soldiers asked how they could distinguish between heretics and orthodox, the Vatican representative told them.. "Kill them all, God will know his own," and they slaughtered forty thousand men, women and children .

This is simply not true. The Vatican was not yet the center of the Church... it was in France when this happened.

Scott1

Trinity,

You can't expect anyone who is reading their history from a inaccurate source to belive anything we say.

After Constantine organized the church, laid down the canon, and melded the government to the church they became what had persecuted them
This typical tactic removes facts from the argument and shows the bias of the writer. Constantine did no such thing and in fact was very tolerant towards the pagans. His sons, however, during their rule were not as nice and closed the pagan temples and outlawed anything non-Catholic. All of this and STILL Christianity was not the "official" religion of the Empire... that did not happen until later.

This is simply not true. The Vatican was not yet the center of the Church... it was in France when this happened.
I honestly don't know if it happened or not, but I would like to point out that Rome was established well before the Avignon Papacy. This era was filled with strife, corruption, anti-Popes...etc.. The Great Schism damaged the Church almost beyond repair, but the true damage done was not seen until a few hundred years later when a man named Luther tacked his list up.

Peace,
Scott

Pah

Uber all member
Matthew 5:17 'Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete the law.

There was no confusion, Jesus told them just what was going on.

I'm a little confused .

It seems to say that Christ in the final law in the set of God's laws - and yet some Christians seem to feel that they can eat pork just as if the Old Testamant laws were abolished.

Care to explain?

-pah-

Trinity

pah said:

I'm a little confused .

It seems to say that Christ in the final law in the set of God's laws - and yet some Christians seem to feel that they can eat pork just as if the Old Testamant laws were abolished.

Care to explain?

-pah-
Mark 7:5-8 "Why do your disciples not follow the tradition of the elders but instead eat a meal with unclean hands?" He responded, "Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me; In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines human precepts.' You disregard God's commandment but cling to human tradition."

What is the problem with pork?