• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic church so much

huajiro

Trinity said:
I know there must be many different motivations, I am just curious why this is the last great, accepted predjudice.
I am coming in to this thread a little late, but would still like to add my input (Please keep in mind that I come from a Catholic background, so many of my comments don't just come out of thin air) I feel that there are many reasons that Catholicism is attacked more than most other religions:

Probably the biggest reason, is that most Catholics are not Anglos. Although it sounds like a racist statement, stop and think about it. The world is now turning more toward social class discrimination, but it used to be based solely on race.

Secondly, there are a lot of contradictions in the religion. One example is praying to Saints. You are not supposed to have false idols.

Lastly, as I mentioned in another thread, you have the fact that Catholic priests have to be celibate and repress their human nature. This had lead to them doing things that have given the Catholic Church a bad name.

These are only examples, not all of the reasons the Catholic Church is attacked.

Trinity

huajiro said:
I am coming in to this thread a little late, but would still like to add my input (Please keep in mind that I come from a Catholic background, so many of my comments don't just come out of thin air) I feel that there are many reasons that Catholicism is attacked more than most other religions:

Probably the biggest reason, is that most Catholics are not Anglos. Although it sounds like a racist statement, stop and think about it. The world is now turning more toward social class discrimination, but it used to be based solely on race.

Secondly, there are a lot of contradictions in the religion. One example is praying to Saints. You are not supposed to have false idols.

Lastly, as I mentioned in another thread, you have the fact that Catholic priests have to be celibate and repress their human nature. This had lead to them doing things that have given the Catholic Church a bad name.

These are only examples, not all of the reasons the Catholic Church is attacked.

This is all common misconceptions about the Catholic faith.
for instance, 1. saints are not idols, they are examples
2. In all the studies done, celibacy has nothing to do with the horrible otroscities committed by a few. Looking at the statistics, there are way more married and non-celibate people who do the same terrible things... and there is never any excuse for it.

maggie2

Trinity,

I'm coming to this discussion a bit late too. However, you talk about the media finding fault with the church. Could you give us a couple of examples of articles or things that have been said and about which topics? It's hard to answer your question without knowing what exactly you are referring to. I would be interested to know what is troubling you before I offer any comments.

Trinity

maggie2 said:
Trinity,

I'm coming to this discussion a bit late too. However, you talk about the media finding fault with the church. Could you give us a couple of examples of articles or things that have been said and about which topics? It's hard to answer your question without knowing what exactly you are referring to. I would be interested to know what is troubling you before I offer any comments.
i am having trouble with specific examples right now, put will post when soon. till then, look for examples in the news or movies. here is a book that will explain this idea much better than I can and the quick note from the author and others (even critics) may shead some light on the subject.
Bryan
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=3r07WCJA4j&isbn=0195154800&itm=1

I agree with you Trinity, there is some anti-Catholicism in our society. There seems to be a definite hostility towards the Catholic Church, and I think much of it is unwarranted.

huajiro

Trinity said:
2. In all the studies done, celibacy has nothing to do with the horrible otroscities committed by a few. Looking at the statistics, there are way more married and non-celibate people who do the same terrible things... and there is never any excuse for it.
1. I am sorry to say this, but the same Catholics are causing these misconceptions. You can't blame others for not knowing the difference. I think I know what might have caused this. When the Spaniards arrived in Latin America, the indigenous people were not used to worshipping one "God". So, the Spaniards taught them about the different Saints. What happened is that the "Indians" ended up praying to the Saints as they did their "Gods", as many people do now. I know many people who pray to a Saint for help with different problems, Saint Christopher ( I believe) is the Saint of Travelers....so, people pray to him before taking a trip, etc.

2. I think you may have missed the point. Regardless of what causes it, the Catholic Church has had a lot of bad publicity because of the priests not being able to control themselves. You were wondering why people attack the Catholic Church.

It is just my personal view that the celibacy has something to do with it. You take a person and keep them from expressing themselves physically with the person they love, you take away being able to have 1 person to love intimately. You tell them to love everyone.....but only so much. Human beings are not capable of cutting off feelings like that without repercussions.

linwood

Trinity said:
But Catholics do pray to them.

"St. Anthony, St. Anthony, Please come around..."

Don`t they?

precept

The name Christian was used to refer in ridicule to the followers of the dead Messiah. This name was used by the Jews who did not accept the teaching of Jesus when referring to their fellow Jews who believed in and followed the teachings of Jesus. The Christian Jew was identified by his behaving as his Master Christ--hence his name by behaviour--"Christian".

A "Christian" like his Master would not engage in permissive promiscuous sexual behaviour and pass it off as "the same behaviour is evident in the larger society".

A "Christian" like his Master would not torture, burn at the stake and kill hundreds of thousands, calling them "heretics" because those called "heretics" refused to believe as they, the Roman Catholics. And less the Protestants stand an cheer in agreement---They are no less culpable in mis-representing the truth of Christianity in their also torturing and burning at the stake and killing those who also did not believe as they.

A "Christian" was taught by His Master to go to his death like a lamb to the slaughter just like his Master.
A "Christian" is taught that like his Master...when reviled to "revile not again".

A "Christian" is taught to "bless them that persecute you".

A "Christian" is taught by his Master, never to steal, kill, or commit adultery; because such behaviour does not reflect the behaviour of the Master of Christianity.

When the "Christians under the altar" asked the Lord "how long before their death's were avenged"...their Lord replied that they "wait a little longer till their brethren are killed as they were"....Or a "Christian" expects that those opposed to the truth of True Christianity will be those who kill in the name of Christ.

Your question simply answered...is a "Christian" whether as an individual or a group or as represented in a church...when such a presumed Christian representative behaves unlike the Master he presumes to represent; such a fake Christian will be exposed for all to see how inconsistent are his words; words proclaiming himself christian, but belying his actual un-Christlike behaviour.

precept

Scott1

linwood said:
But Catholics do pray to them.

"St. Anthony, St. Anthony, Please come around..."

Don`t they?
Well... ..... pray to them generally implies that prayers are directed at the Saints and Mary as a final destination.... that they have the power to hear prayers and to grant "wishes" or something like that........ and that is not what a Catholic would mean when he prays "to" a Saint.

The major difference is that we know that the power of a Saint or the Mother of God to hear our prayers in dependant upon God. They have no power of thier own, all is a gift of God. The prayers are a request for them to intercede for us on Christ's behalf or to bring a petition or prayer to Christ. We believe in the communion of believers praying for each other.... and don't believe this stops when you physically die.

I know the difference may seem minor, but it makes a world of difference when it comes to what the phrase "pray to" really means.

Peace,
Scott

huajiro

SOGFPP said:
Well... ..... pray to them generally implies that prayers are directed at the Saints and Mary as a final destination.... that they have the power to hear prayers and to grant "wishes" or something like that........ and that is not what a Catholic would mean when he prays "to" a Saint.

The major difference is that we know that the power of a Saint or the Mother of God to hear our prayers in dependant upon God. They have no power of thier own, all is a gift of God. The prayers are a request for them to intercede for us on Christ's behalf or to bring a petition or prayer to Christ. We believe in the communion of believers praying for each other.... and don't believe this stops when you physically die.

I know the difference may seem minor, but it makes a world of difference when it comes to what the phrase "pray to" really means.

Peace,
Scott
You say this as though all Catholics do it the same way. I understand that you are only saying it in the way it "should" be. Unfortanately most other Catholics are not as knowledgeable as you, as they pray to the Saints directly, and forget to cc the message to "God".

Scott1

You say this as though all Catholics do it the same way. I understand that you are only saying it in the way it "should" be. Unfortanately most other Catholics are not as knowledgeable as you, as they pray to the Saints directly, and forget to cc the message to "God".
I "say" this as because we are talking about the Catholic faith and what it teaches and not about individuals.

I am sure that there are Catholics who are in error, and I'm sure that a few might even pray to Homer Simpson :p .... but I am writing about what the faith teaches.... BTW, thanks for the compliment.

Scott

linwood

SOGFPP said:
I "say" this as because we are talking about the Catholic faith and what it teaches and not about individuals.
Then why do priests themselves advise followers to pray to a certain Saint depending upon the problem or desired outcome?

Please remember it`s been awhile since I`ve been involved with the Churhc so maybe it is done differently now but it was not always this way.

Trinity

linwood said:
Then why do priests themselves advise followers to pray to a certain Saint depending upon the problem or desired outcome?

Please remember it`s been awhile since I`ve been involved with the Churhc so maybe it is done differently now but it was not always this way.
This is true, although not as popular as it once was. But said simply, those saints had a certain purpose here on earth, and were able to discern their mission, better than we are able to for the most part. Just because they are dead, does not mean they are gone, in death life is not over, just changed.

linwood

Trinity said:
This is true, although not as popular as it once was. But said simply, those saints had a certain purpose here on earth, and were able to discern their mission, better than we are able to for the most part. Just because they are dead, does not mean they are gone, in death life is not over, just changed.
Ok..Then Catholics do pray to saints as I remembered.

Trinity

linwood said:
Ok..Then Catholics do pray to saints as I remembered.
We call for their intercession, because, while they were on earth, they managed to cut through all of the useless information we are given and were able to concentrate on Christ. We ask them to pray for us, as we ask our priest or other holy people here on earth to pray for us. "Life is not over, just changed".