• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people discuss what the founder of a religion or spiritual path actually meant?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my time within this forum, I have seen many discussions about what Jesus meant, What God meant, What other founders of religions meant. But the more I think about it. How do people of today actually know or think they know what these enlightened beings from the past actually know or think about when they were teaching? When I cultivated Buddhism I too thought i understood what Buddha was actually saying. But I realized I was far from understanding it on Buddhas level or even were close to understanding it as it should be understood. The problem I faced was that. I could not ask him. Sakyamuni, what did you actually mean? So my realization is that for us to be able to discuss on a higher level, we are in need of having the founder actually here today to be able to ask questions, Not that they going to give a fully clear answer because it is up to our own cultivation to understand the teaching. But at least we do not need to worry about the text is wrongly translated or it missing teachings, because the teacher is already here today, and this is the reason I converted to Falun Gong. And in Falun Gong I can say our master is here today in life, so even he lives in a different country then I do, technically it would be possible to get some clarification if some issue does happen.

So my question is, Why are we discussing topics that actually are impossible to answer? would it not be better to keep the discussion within our own choice of the spiritual path? Christians discuss with Christians, Jews with Jews and so on?

Does it really help you in your spiritual path to have a discussion with someone who says, No you get it wrong, God, Buddha, or other enlightened beings did mean it like this, then they come with their understanding of what God, Buddha or others meant? HOW DO THE KNOW? It is their own understanding of what God, Buddha or others meant, not the actual meaning. But if we do have the master/founder/ teacher alive, we can say our Teacher says this, Then we quote what the Teacher says. that means it is the true words of the teacher, not a guess of what the teacher means. But we can of course say, My understanding of the teaching is this. then we give our own understanding of the teaching. But clearly note that it might not be fully what the Teacher actually know by their wisdom.

Note: I too have done the mistake of discussing topics I today see I was not qualified to discuss because I did not understand fully the teaching. But I realized the importance of being able to speak with the founder of the spiritual teaching, or at least be able to speak with those who are/were close to the teacher, Normally they will have a deeper understanding of what the truth of the teaching is.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
In my time within this forum, I have seen many discussions about what Jesus meant, What God meant, What other founders of religions meant.
I gave that up a long time ago. I just read the verses and be inspired in the moment what it means to me. For me the word of God is alive, not fixed.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So my realization is that for us to be able to discuss on a higher level, we are in need of having the founder actually here today to be able to ask questions...

Yes. Your realization.

One doesn't need to talk to a founder (or even sages) if they've experienced what the "founder" experienced. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How can one know the truth without discussions to find whether the founders were correct or not?
Discussion within the same spiritual path is of course of benefit to practitioners, but to discuss across spiritual teachings is not going to help us understand our own path. Example a Christian would have little help in his or her advancement if they speak with a Muslim, in the form that the reachings are different. But if Christian speak with a Christian, they will be able to discuss the same topic from a different level of understanding. No need for someone to study the text of a different path then the one they themself are on.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But at least we do not need to worry about the text is wrongly translated or it missing teachings, because the teacher is already here today, and this is the reason I converted to Falun Gong. And in Falun Gong I can say our master is here today in life, so even he lives in a different country then I do, technically it would be possible to get some clarification if some issue does happen.
Ah... I get it. You have some "this makes my religion different, so it must make my religion better" chauvinism happening here. Right?

Reactions: Jim

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ah... I get it. You have some "this makes my religion different, so it must make my religion better" chauvinism happening here. Right?
No, not at all. But I think each religion would benefit from their followers discussed between themself, and let others be able to believe what they want in their chosen path. Why should it be good if people from different faiths try to tell others they are wrong and my path is better then yours? For me as a cultivator Falun Gong is the right for me, that does not mean it is right for you. And I respect that. and I can not and will not try to convert anyone. if that happened it would be their own choice and not because I say anything to make them change

exchemist

Veteran Member
In my time within this forum, I have seen many discussions about what Jesus meant, What God meant, What other founders of religions meant. But the more I think about it. How do people of today actually know or think they know what these enlightened beings from the past actually know or think about when they were teaching? When I cultivated Buddhism I too thought i understood what Buddha was actually saying. But I realized I was far from understanding it on Buddhas level or even were close to understanding it as it should be understood. The problem I faced was that. I could not ask him. Sakyamuni, what did you actually mean? So my realization is that for us to be able to discuss on a higher level, we are in need of having the founder actually here today to be able to ask questions, Not that they going to give a fully clear answer because it is up to our own cultivation to understand the teaching. But at least we do not need to worry about the text is wrongly translated or it missing teachings, because the teacher is already here today, and this is the reason I converted to Falun Gong. And in Falun Gong I can say our master is here today in life, so even he lives in a different country then I do, technically it would be possible to get some clarification if some issue does happen.

So my question is, Why are we discussing topics that actually are impossible to answer? would it not be better to keep the discussion within our own choice of the spiritual path? Christians discuss with Christians, Jews with Jews and so on?

Does it really help you in your spiritual path to have a discussion with someone who says, No you get it wrong, God, Buddha, or other enlightened beings did mean it like this, then they come with their understanding of what God, Buddha or others meant? HOW DO THE KNOW? It is their own understanding of what God, Buddha or others meant, not the actual meaning. But if we do have the master/founder/ teacher alive, we can say our Teacher says this, Then we quote what the Teacher says. that means it is the true words of the teacher, not a guess of what the teacher means. But we can of course say, My understanding of the teaching is this. then we give our own understanding of the teaching. But clearly note that it might not be fully what the Teacher actually know by their wisdom.

Note: I too have done the mistake of discussing topics I today see I was not qualified to discuss because I did not understand fully the teaching. But I realized the importance of being able to speak with the founder of the spiritual teaching, or at least be able to speak with those who are/were close to the teacher, Normally they will have a deeper understanding of what the truth of the teaching is.
I think there is value in understanding what various cultures and religious denominations believe a founder intended. We don't have to agree, but understanding the various points of view can be enlightening. For instance, as a Catholic I have come to appreciate the tremendous spur to Western civilisation provided by some of the ideas and practices of the Protestant Reformation. And nowadays anyone with an interest in the Middle East would do well to understand a little about the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam.

Regarding my own spiritual path, it was largely the experience of living in the Middle East, and then of visiting Buddhist temples in Thailand, that made recognise the similarities between my own religion and others - and hence to doubt the claims of any religion, including my own, to unique truth while all the others are supposedly false.

But I agree that getting into nitpicking arguments over exact meanings can be rather unproductive, given the general lack of clarity of almost all religions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, not at all. But I think each religion would benefit from their followers discussed between themself, and let others be able to believe what they want in their chosen path. Why should it be good if people from different faiths try to tell others they are wrong and my path is better then yours?

For me, it generally comes up when people try to impose their religion on others.

For instance, if Christian lawmakers insist that they're going to legislate laws that apply to everyone based on the teachings of Jesus, then I see no problem with judging their actions and policies against the teachings of Jesus.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For me, it generally comes up when people try to impose their religion on others.

For instance, if Christian lawmakers insist that they're going to legislate laws that apply to everyone based on the teachings of Jesus, then I see no problem with judging their actions and policies against the teachings of Jesus.
Yes and this has become a problem. Christianity is for Christians, Jewism is for Jews, Buddhism for Buddhists, and so on. Falun Gong for Falun Gong practitioners. But it is not wrong to speak about our chosen path, but it is wrong to "force others to become like us" if it is meant for someone to become example a Falun Gong practitioner, it will happen naturally, No need to proselytize actually, But answering questions are ok as long it does not become a heated debate out of it

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes and this has become a problem. Christianity is for Christians, Jewism is for Jews, Buddhism for Buddhists, and so on. Falun Gong for Falun Gong practitioners. But it is not wrong to speak about our chosen path, but it is wrong to "force others to become like us" if it is meant for someone to become example a Falun Gong practitioner, it will happen naturally, No need to proselytize actually, But answering questions are ok as long it does not become a heated debate out of it
So why do you think Falun Gong proselytizes so much, then?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So why do you think Falun Gong proselytizes so much, then?
Actually we do not proselyte about the teaching to get followers. But it is much speaking about the evil forces of CCP (Chinese communist party) When you see a Falun Gong stand on the street, they do not preach about it to get follower, because it is a free choice if we want to cultivate that path. But a common question you may hear on the street is. Do you know what Falun Gong is? if no. they may ask do you wish to hear what it is? if no, then they say we wish you a happy day, and you are free to leave. No forced preaching at all. Personally I have spoken a bit about the teaching here in the Forum. but not to gain followers, only to give people a chance to know Falun Gong is out there. and I also told what the principles of the teaching are. But you are totally free to listen or not to me :)

leov

Note: I too have done the mistake of discussing topics I today see I was not qualified to discuss because I did not understand fully the teaching. But I realized the importance of being able to speak with the founder of the spiritual teaching, or at least be able to speak wimay be those who are/were close to the teacher, Normally they will have a deeper understanding of what the truth of the teaching is.
I think we need regard that as living teaching tools, works like ascending spiral: In plan view one maybe in the same place but on a higher level of understanding.
Judaism knows that as 50 gates of understanding, every time with increased knowledge one's understanding improves.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think we need regard that as living teaching tools, works like ascending spiral: In plan view one maybe in the same place but on a higher level of understanding.
Judaism knows that as 50 gates of understanding, every time with increased knowledge one's understanding improves.
My point of the OP was to say that because Jesus or Muhammad or other past enlighten beings or spiritual teachers of human beings had their teaching that long ago, it is maybe wrong to say Jesus said this, then Quote something he might have said because we can no longer be fully sure that his teaching had not been altered in some way. it would be better to say, In my understanding, this is similar to what he might have said, then say what we understand of the current teaching

leov

My point of the OP was to say that because Jesus or Muhammad or other past enlighten beings or spiritual teachers of human beings had their teaching that long ago, it is maybe wrong to say Jesus said this, then Quote something he might have said because we can no longer be fully sure that his teaching had not been altered in some way. it would be better to say, In my understanding, this is similar to what he might have said, then say what we understand of the current teaching
I understand. I say that it is intention of original design to mature studying it so understanding gradually may be improving. . 12"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually we do not proselyte about the teaching to get followers. But it is much speaking about the evil forces of CCP (Chinese communist party) When you see a Falun Gong stand on the street, they do not preach about it to get follower, because it is a free choice if we want to cultivate that path. But a common question you may hear on the street is. Do you know what Falun Gong is? if no. they may ask do you wish to hear what it is? if no, then they say we wish you a happy day, and you are free to leave. No forced preaching at all. Personally I have spoken a bit about the teaching here in the Forum. but not to gain followers, only to give people a chance to know Falun Gong is out there. and I also told what the principles of the teaching are. But you are totally free to listen or not to me :)
I was thinking specifically about Shen Yun performances.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was thinking specifically about Shen Yun performances.
Shen Yun has nothing to do with Falun Gong as cultivation practice, that rumor is put out by the Chinese government to sear the wrong statement about Falun Gong, IT maybe someone who started the dance group who were Falun Gong practitioners, but as a cultivator, I will only listen to Master Li Hongzhi. They are a dance group. And as you maybe know CCP does not like Falun Gong because our master has shown the world how evil CCP is. Other than that I do not know what Shen Yun does. and if they spread false claims about falun gong it is not good

Iymus

I don't think the answers are impossible to cultivate.I discuss mainly within the Abrahamic Faith umbrella. I believe spiritual growth at times require trying the spirits and dialogue.

From the Quran ; I read that Issac was given prophet hood and scripture.

From New Testament; I read Issac is the only begotten son of Abraham

From the Old Testament; I read that the God of Issac's descendants is one alone himself.

I hope for mastery of the simple things and understanding of the basics "foundation" which i believe helps me perceive the perplex or have an idea.

Even if i do not know elementary arithmetic, I at least want to be able to discern the order of operations and sequence of things; then hopefully knowledge will produce more knowledge then wisdom.

Sometimes there are also checks and balances, for example a certain faction of Christians may teach a free Salvation without Accountability doctrine but others to include Jews, and Muslims along with life experiences will correct me or say otherwise. just my thoughts and experiences.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I believe each person must find truth for themselves. Each has the ability to make that decision.

Why is it that those that are supposed to know the most about their faith are the ones in history that have rejected other Prophets from God? Why do those with this knowledge of their prophet, still reject others?

There is not better person than yourself Amanaki, than to make these choices, you need no teacher but to ask God with your heart, it is all within.

Regards Tony