• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people convert?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's good. But do you think that is typical? Especially in Muslim countries? Especially in families that are hardcore religious like most Mormons, Evangelicals, and Southern Baptist.
You will find all kind of people in religion or outside religion. Its not that i support those extreme people, but i think sometimes people want the good they found in a religion to be within the childrens too so they force it on to them, even not realizing the child can deside them self

Jedster

I notice there are many people who switch religions for whatever reason... But what makes anyone think that their new religion will not become old news like the last one?

...What are you looking for?

In my observation of people over the years, I have noticed that many people convert because they have little or no knowledge outside the religion they were born into.
Particularly in the modern age where we have much more information, in particular due to the internet.
I have also noticed that many 'converts' do not regard themselves as converts.
Some examples would be converts to Islam who regard themselves as reverts to the true religion, some Jews who become Christian call themselves completed Jews(I have one in my own family).
Also, most of the many Bahais I have met that were not born Bahai regard their becoming Bahais as the natural progression of their previous religion.

ecco

Veteran Member
How does this follow your claim that it's somehow obvious that deities are made up? There's many people who believe in and worship Greek deities (Athena is one of the most beloved goddesses in modern Western polytheism) and many also still practice indigenous religions.

You don't seem to be able to understand the simple point: All those "gods" cannot be real. Therefore, all those "gods" are just the product of man's imaginings. This leads to the rational conclusion that your god (or John's god or Ahmad's god or Vihaan's god) is also the product of man's imaginings.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You don't seem to be able to understand the simple point: All those "gods" cannot be real. Therefore, all those "gods" are just the product of man's imaginings. This leads to the rational conclusion that your god (or John's god or Ahmad's god or Vihaan's god) is also the product of man's imaginings.
Why can not "all those Gods" be real? What is stopping those Gods to exist?

ecco

Veteran Member
Uh, that is what Christianity is all about. Jesus = Christ = Jesus. Do you think some Christians should seek salvation in the lessons of Shiva?

I doubt that many Christians would agree with you. But I'm open to be corrected. Christians, what say you?

All religions believe they are superior to all other religions. That goes for Bahia as well. Why would anyone be a member of a religious sect if it was inferior to another religious sect?

Familial and cultural allegiances

For a while, maybe. But that would be like a gay person pretending to be straight. That would not be a person who is honest with himself.

ecco

Veteran Member
a religion to be within the childrens too so they force it on to them, even not realizing the child can deside them self

It's not about "even not realizing the child can decide", it's about what they want for their child because that's what their parents taught them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not about "even not realizing the child can decide", it's about what they want for their child because that's what their parents taught them.
So if a couple of religioues parents raise their children within the teaching of a religioues teaching, what is the problem? If the parents want the best for their children, would they not raise the child in the best manner they know?

Cassandra

I notice there are many people who switch religions for whatever reason... But what makes anyone think that their new religion will not become old news like the last one?

...What are you looking for?
Something to stop religious advertisements

Conversion turned religion into a software product that runs on most humans. Purchase costs are low or zero. But the apps contain enormous amounts of advertisement and expensive in-app sales. The apps provide all kinds of solutions for imaginary problems it helps create. Like saving ones soul, getting away from the revenge of the God one had to accept earlier, etc.

What can I say, it is a trillion dollar business. It was invented by the cleverest businessmen, **mod edit** then adopted **mod edit** and turned into religious multinationals. It appeals to and stirs up deepest fears and guilt-feelings and then provides imaginary solutions for them by telling people they are safe, saved, cured.

It is something for people in need of something.
It feeds on the unhappiness of people
That is why it is often brought as byproduct of war
And it tries to insure people remain unhappy and failing to meet their needs
it is not a solution but rather a prescription, you keep paying

Last edited by a moderator:

ecco

Veteran Member
Why can not "all those Gods" be real? What is stopping those Gods to exist?
So, going along with your thought process, the universe, and, in turn, the earth, were created by hundreds of different gods. Each creating them in different ways.

Do you really think about your responses before posting them?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So, going along with your thought process, the universe, and, in turn, the earth, were created by hundreds of different gods. Each creating them in different ways.

Do you really think about your responses before posting them?
Actually i do not need a lot of time to think about it. The answer is clear in my mind already.

Who say all the Gods have to be creators of the world? Its enough for one creator God, but those other gods may have different task they are fullfilling.
God can create anything by a thought or use the power to protect those who believe in God, Allah, or any of the other once.

Or if there is only one God, that God would be able to create, protect and give teaching to human beings in the same time.
My question is still, if there was no God to create human realm, planet anf human beings, how could it begin from nothing? How can something start from absolutely nothing to create the beginning?

ecco

Veteran Member
So if a couple of religioues parents raise their children within the teaching of a religioues teaching, what is the problem? If the parents want the best for their children, would they not raise the child in the best manner they know?

What do you mean by "a couple of religioues (sic) parents"?

It's not a couple. It's the vast majority of religious people.

What's the problem? Well, for one thing, when those religious beliefs are passed down, all manner of biases and hatreds are also passed down.

Perhaps you are not aware that after Saddam Hussein was killed, Sunnis and Shiites went on a rampage of killing each other.

Perhaps you are not aware that after JosipTito was killed, Serbs and Croats went on a rampage of killing each other.

Perhaps you are not aware that after JosipTito was killed, Serbs and Croats went on a rampage of killing each other.

Perhaps you are not aware of the hundreds of years of Protestants and Catholics killing one another in Europe.

Perhaps you are not aware of the slaughter of Jews by Christians on multiple occasions.

I could go on, but it's not my job to educate you, it's your job.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I see no reason why they can't be real. Also, people are likely experiencing the same being, in many cases, but from a different perspective or a different aspect of them/it. It's no problem for a polytheist or animist or an open-minded monotheist.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Who say all the Gods have to be creators of the world?

The Judeo Christians believe their god created the world.
The Najavo peoples believe their gods created the world.
The Egyptians believed Phanes created the world.

If you took the time to do a little research you would know this. If you took the time to do a little research you would know that all the stories are different.
If you put some rational thought into the process, you would see that all the conflicting stories cannot be correct.

Again, it's not up to me to educate you. That's your job.

My question is still, if there was no God to create human realm, planet anf human beings, how could it begin from nothing? How can something start from absolutely nothing to create the beginning?
If you're really interested, start a thread. Better yet, read some of the many threads that have addressed your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What do you mean by "a couple of religioues (sic) parents"?

It's not a couple. It's the vast majority of religious people.

What's the problem? Well, for one thing, when those religious beliefs are passed down, all manner of biases and hatreds are also passed down.

Perhaps you are not aware that after Saddam Hussein was killed, Sunnis and Shiites went on a rampage of killing each other.

Perhaps you are not aware of the hundreds of years of Protestants and Catholics killing one another in Europe.

Perhaps you are not aware of the slaughter of Jews by Christians on multiple occasions.

I could go on, but it's not my job to educate you, it's your job.
I am aware of those episodes yes.
That is not a religions fault, that is ego of human beings fault.

ecco

Veteran Member
I am aware of those episodes yes.
That is not a religions fault, that is ego of human beings fault.
Wrong! When people of one religious group band together to kill the members of another religious group because of religious differences then that is the fault of the religion and it's teachings.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wrong! When people of one religious group band together to kill the members of another religious group because of religious differences then that is the fault of the religion and it's teachings.
Its not the Islam i have come to know.
Those who kill in the name of Allah is doing wrong deeds, and Allah will punish them for their wrong doing.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I doubt that many Christians would agree with you. But I'm open to be corrected. Christians, what say you?

For a while, maybe. But that would be like a gay person pretending to be straight. That would not be a person who is honest with himself.

Many Christians see value in the faith of others and take a moderate stance in regards non-Christian faiths. The Catholics post the second Vatican Council for example. Not all Christians are hard line fundamentals and many would consider such a stance contrary to what Jesus taught.

Comparing religious affiliation with sexual orientation is problematic.

Clara Tea

CONVERTING TO CHRISTIANITY: Messianic Jews convert because they believe the Jewish prophecy of a messiah was about Jesus. Rabbis, experts in their own religion, experts in their own Hebrew language (which is not the same as old Hebrew which was wiped out by detractors), and experts in their own prophecies, reject the notion that Jesus fulfilled the Jewish prophecy of a messiah. Many had claimed to be the messiah. One messiah wannabe was a thief named "Jesus, son of God." (or Jesus Ben Abbas in the Hebrew language). He was slated to be crucified instead of Jesus, but let off. Ancient Jews, in the days of Jesus, had heard the rumors of Christ's miracles, and merely assumed that he was a sorcerer, and, therefore, evil.

CONVERTING TO JUDAISM: Surely everyone realizes that there are many denominations of Christians today, and there are many "conflicting" versions of the same New Testament. These converts wanted to learn the real religion before it was rewritten by human kinds or human priests, and, like Reverend Melissa Scott, seek to find truth in translations of ancient Hebrew and Latin texts (and occasional Greek and Arabic).

CONVERTING OUT OF AMISH: The Amish life is austere. Women have to be stuck in the kitchen all day doing drudgery, and they believe that idle hands are the tools of the devil. They will occasionally use electronic gadgets (phones, recorders, etc.) for office work, but, at home, they practice strict avoidance of modern devices. Many young Amish leave the religion and home, and seek a wild life (including prostitution), then are accepted back to the Amish life (which they are allowed to do only once in their life.....if they do it again, they are ousted for good).

CONVERTING TO MORMONISM: Mormons assert that Jesus wasn't restricted to just the middle east and eastern Europe, but made his appearance in North America (and perhaps other places as well). That seems like a very logical and likely idea. The Mormons have their own bible. It is most compelling that they reject war and killing (remember, God said "thou shalt not kill" and they attempt to follow God's teachings). Mormons don't drink, gamble, nor even drink coffee. Mormon and Amish people are very healthy, and many believe that their plan for living is a good one.

CONVERTING TO VOLCANO GODS: Well, there it is. While Christians have a very hard time proving that their God is real, volcanoes erupt with fiery melted rock, and their presence is impossible to ignore. Their God is real and tangible. I can't visit, because I'm afraid to be sacrificed to a volcano God (they toss in the best food and best people).

CONVERTING TO ANIMISM (VOODOO): They believe in making zombies of living people, and animating the dead. They use voodoo dolls and strange chants and ceremonies. I sometimes lose debates, and wonder if they could spare a voodoo doll.