• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do peace seems to scare some people?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This might sound strange, but what is it with peace and peace loving people that seem to scare other people?

Statements like.
You must fight for your rights.
If you don't fight you are a coward
And when answer come back.

I walk in peace without enemies.
That person will be ridiculed for being a fool?

Do some people travel more or less around the world to find conflicts they can "solve" with weapons? How can that be a right way?
Why not speak of peace within each person they meet?

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
This might sound strange, but what is it with peace and peace loving people that seem to scare other people?

Statements like.

Do some people travel more or less around the world to find conflicts they can "solve" with weapons? How can that be a right way?
Why not speak of peace within each person the meet?

In my opinion a person has to be happy and at peace with theirself before they can accept and/or spread peace.
If they aren't at peace with theirself or life, others that are at peace irritate them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my opinion a person has to be happy and at peace with theirself before they can accept and/or spread peace.
If they aren't at peace with theirself or life, others that are at peace irritate them.
Yes, that could be a good reason for why some don't see peace

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Let's put it this way.

If under serious attack, I think I'll just go with bloodthirsty barbarians watching my behind rather than being with peaceful pacifists whose outlook won't be very pretty if no one is willing to go to bat.

RestlessSoul

Let's put it this way.

If under serious attack, I think I'll just go with bloodthirsty barbarians watching my behind rather than being with peaceful pacifists whose outlook won't be very pretty if no one is willing to go to bat.

By “bloodthirsty barbarians”, do you mean the police? The army?

Sounds like a recipe for the society Colonel Kurtz built in Apocalypse Now

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

Statements like.

Is peace possible without people with weapons to keep the peace? But then, is peace possible if people in power arm people and send them off to "keep" the peace or restore the peace by fighting and killing others? I agree, how does that make sense?

We Never Know

No Slack
Let's put it this way.

"bloodthirsty barbarians"?

I've always found that real friends(which are actually rare) are better than bloodthirsty barbarians because they have your best interests in mind.

We Never Know

No Slack
Is peace possible without people with weapons to keep the peace? But then, is peace possible if people in power arm people and send them off to "keep" the peace or restore the peace by fighting and killing others? I agree, how does that make sense?

Peace was taken off the table as soon as stoneage man created the first weapon. We have just advanced those weapons since.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes to the first question you said.
Only men in power who are afraid of losing their power over others are afraid of peace and non violence

F1fan

Veteran Member
Let's put it this way.

If under serious attack, ....
Like voting rights for all citizens.

.... I think I'll just go with bloodthirsty barbarians watching my behind rather than being with peaceful pacifists whose outlook won't be very pretty if no one is willing to go to bat.
Like fairness and equality and democracy.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes to the first question you said.
Only men in power who are afraid of losing their power over others are afraid of peace and non violence
And this doesn't have to be physical violence, but violence against virtues and decency. Look at what Republicans are doing to democracy in the USA, the courts, legislation, and their tendency to not cooperate with Democrats. They use their power to retain their power in the face of losing appeal to the average voter.

The Jan 6 attack was inspired by trump and many members of his inner circle. We can see where the passive can inspire the active.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And this doesn't have to be physical violence, but violence against virtues and decency. Look at what Republicans are doing to democracy in the USA, the courts, legislation, and their tendency to not cooperate with Democrats. They use their power to retain their power in the face of losing appeal to the average voter.

The Jan 6 attack was inspired by trump and many members of his inner circle. We can see where the passive can inspire the active.
So true.

Lain

Statements like.

To me peace is a complex issue, especially considering the state of the Fallen World we live in. Clearly the Lord is a peace-loving guy who detests violence, yet also fighting sometimes is necessary because peace will be destroyed if it is not defended. We should not go looking for conflicts, but if it comes then sometimes justice demands a fight. But in our personal lives most especially we should be as peaceful as possible. In those situations where a fight for peace or justice may be necessary it is best to do no violence and to accept what may come of that.

People in more normal situations often dislike peace for they were raised without it, so the state is unnatural to them. It is a reflection on the Fallen World, where all things are in discord with one another, so keeping peace is hard, and frankly where it exists it is a gift of God.

The Psalms say many things about peace, including exhortation ("turn away from evil, and do good. Inquire about peace, and pursue it"), speaking of the cause of peace ("in peace itself, I will sleep and I will rest. For you, O Lord, have established me singularly in hope"), and the peaceful lives of the just and the reactions of the unjust to them ("with those who hated peace, I was peaceful. When I spoke to them, they fought against me without cause").

A lot can be said on the matter really.

All the above is my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Statements like.

Weapons are useful in some conflicts.
But I prefer peace with my enemies.

So says RF's only draft dodging weapon designer.