• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do non believers believe in fortunes ?

chinu

chinu
Often believers use the word un-fortunately. If they believe in unfortunately, they also believe in fortunately.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Often believers use the word un-fortunately. If they believe in unfortunately, they also believe in fortunately.

?

It is difficult to make sense of that question.
I could assume you mean fortunes as in ‘fortune telling’, but I would guess that atheists are less likely than theists to believe in that.
Can you explain your question a little ?

chinu

chinu
?

It is difficult to make sense of that question.
I could assume you mean fortunes as in ‘fortune telling’, but I would guess that atheists are less likely than theists to believe in that.
Can you explain your question a little ?

I mean to ask.. what makes atheists fortune they think ? they often use such words.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I suspect they are used figuratively and not literally, like many things we say, and that hardly means we do believe in fortune or luck as anything other than mostly being random occurrences.

Altfish

Veteran Member

We don't (Or I don't)
Common phrases in the language are used by non-believers, I will occasionally say, "Good god" or "God help us" - they are just well known phrases.
Another example is "Happy Christmas" or just "Christmas" - yes, no problem

chinu

chinu
We don't (Or I don't)
Common phrases in the language are used by non-believers, I will occasionally say, "Good god" or "God help us" - they are just well known phrases.
Another example is "Happy Christmas" or just "Christmas" - yes, no problem
Thank you for your honest reply. :)

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I mean to ask.. what makes atheists fortune they think ? they often use such words.

You definitely need to try asking the question another way. Forgive me if this sounds rude but ‘what makes atheists fortunes they think ?’ doesn’t make sense.

chinu

chinu
You definitely need to try asking the question another way. Forgive me if this sounds rude but ‘what makes atheists fortunes they think ?’ doesn’t make sense.
Altfish, explained it beautifully.

Is that what you were trying to explain ? or you have something different to explain ?

Nimos

As others have said, it is closely related to that of luck. Doesn't have to involve a higher power or some mystery.

If I roll a yahtzee, I don't instantly look to the sky and become a believer. I don't even think religious people thank God in such cases, unless they are really into Yahtzee ofc :)

exchemist

Veteran Member

Fortune is often used to mean chance. "By good (or ill) fortune, such and such happened" just means by good (or bad) luck or chance. We also have the related word "fortuitous", which means by chance.

But it is true that many people with no religious belief are prey to superstitions, some of which can relate to notions of a predetermined destiny. That's just human nature: we seem to have a need to rationalise the - apparently random - good and bad luck we encounter in our lives.

chinu

chinu
As others have said, it is closely related to that of luck. Doesn't have to involve a higher power or some mystery.

If I roll a yahtzee, I don't instantly look to the sky and become a believer. I don't even think religious people thank God in such cases, unless they are really into Yahtzee ofc :)
Thank you for the information.

chinu

chinu
Fortune is often used to mean chance. "By good (or ill) fortune, such and such happened" just means by good (or bad) luck or chance. We also have the related word "fortuitous", which means by chance.

But it is true that many people with no religious belief are prey to superstitions, some of which can relate to notions of a predetermined destiny. That's just human nature: we seem to have a need to rationalise the - apparently random - good and bad luck we encounter in our lives.
Thank you for your informative input!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Words can have two different meanings. Unfortunately.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Google gave me the info in the quote below about "fortunes"
Which definition, from below quote, did you have in mind when you wrote the word "fortune"?
What are fortunes?
noun. The definition of fortune is wealth, good luck or what is going to happen. An example of fortune is what someone had after inheriting millions of dollars. An example of fortune is the luck of having oil discovered on an otherwise useless piece of your land. An example of fortune is your destiny.

chinu

chinu
Google gave me the info in the quote below about "fortunes"
Which definition, from below quote, did you have in mind when you wrote the word "fortune"?
Perhaps the better question to ask is.. what is fortune ?
And, perhaps RF could create something more genuine than Google to relay on. :)

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about.

Ciao

- viole

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is wrong in using the word fortune or unfortunately. It may be so for the person who has faces that happening. Things happen in the world by chance and probability. It is possible that by the time you come to visit me, I may be no more.