• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most Hindu godesses have a fierce aspect?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

I've been reading a lot on Hindu Goddesses lately and I came to the conclusion that almost all of them (except for Radha and Sita maybe) also do have a fierce aspect. I've been interested in various mythologies since childhood and I tried to compare the Hindu goddesses to European warrior goddesses but the comparison doesn't really work, because in a war there supposedly is always a part of yourself that you have to hold back, like analyzing your situation or thinking about strategy. I also don't think that an army would be likely to follow an apparent "madwoman". I tried to focus on what several Hindu goddesses make me feel like and I always have the feeling that in most Hindu goddesses I read about there is always that element of "going to far". For example, when I see an image of Kali I could identify with her because I once suffered fron acute psychosis and now I know what it is like if you strike out with blind rage against anything you come across. (I wasn't violent, to make this clear but thoughts are powerful. For example, I "meditated" in front of a switched-off black screen TV set because I admired the concept absolute blackness when the illusion machine is turned off ... ). Now, I "know" what being like Kali could be like ... but I wouldn't like to be in a "Kali-like state" again. So what would you suggest? Focusing solely on the nice-only goddesses? Or am I entirely mistaken and Hindu goddesses have aspects I haven't considered yet? Thanks for your replies.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

I've been reading a lot on Hindu Goddesses lately and I came to the conclusion that almost all of them (except for Radha and Sita maybe) also do have a fierce aspect. ...

I think it's quite the opposite. Lakshmi, of whom Radha, Sita, Andal, Bhudevi are incarnations of; and Saraswati do not have fierce aspects. Of the Tridevi it is Parvati who manifests as Durga, who in turn manifests as Kali, and others. Annapurna is a compassionate and generous aspect of Parvati who gives food (Annapurna means filled with food). It's really only Kali who was on the verge of being uncontrollable. Durga was in complete control of herself and the situation in her battle with Mahishasura. Here is something about Devi and her forms that may give more insight.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
All goddesses are incarnations of the one divine mother (in my opinion.)
You have the generous Laksmi, the musical and wise Saraswati, the benevolent Sita, the calm Radha, the angry Durga and the fierce Kali. Much like a mother has various moods depending on what her offspring needs, so too does the divine have different moods to suit the situation. Sometimes a mother will be angry, sometimes they will even have a blind rage when their babies are in severe danger.
But all are approachable and mean the devotee no real harm. Even Kali Ma is only a threat to "evil."

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's quite the opposite. Lakshmi, of whom Radha, Sita, Andal, Bhudevi are incarnations of; and Saraswati do not have fierce aspects. Of the Tridevi it is Parvati who manifests as Durga, who in turn manifests as Kali, and others. Annapurna is a compassionate and generous aspect of Parvati who gives food (Annapurna means filled with food). It's really only Kali who was on the verge of being uncontrollable. Durga was in complete control of herself and the situation in her battle with Mahishasura. Here is something about Devi and her forms that may give more insight.
Was just about to say. The OP says "almost all of them" (Hindu goddesses), but only talks about Kali. Hopefully this clears things up for him/her :)

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

Now, I "know" what being like Kali could be like ... but I wouldn't like to be in a "Kali-like state" again. So what would you suggest? Focusing solely on the nice-only goddesses? Or am I entirely mistaken and Hindu goddesses have aspects I haven't considered yet? Thanks for your replies.

As many have mentioned that it is Parvati Mata that has the more "Fierce", aspect, other Devis do not portray this.

Also if we look at the stories of Kali Mata and Durga in general, the fierceness is only directed at Rakchasas and Asuras ect and never is it just a fit of indiscriminate rage, in regards to KaliMata she is the all pervading and all consuming Time that devours everything, the necklace of heads and skirt of hands in typical depictions symbolise our own attachment to our Bodies and Egos, we without the realisation that Time consumes all are attached to this physical frame which is not everlasting. She represents the inevitable demise of not only us humans but all of existence.

For me the purpose of these narratives and stories about the great Mother is to understand that transformation/change (Shiva) lies at the feet of Time (Kali), and therefore moksha or freedom from attachments to our egos/body ect is achieved through practices which help to have a transformation (Shiva) in our lives, and this is all dependent on Time (Kali). That is why a Yogi (Shiva) does not fear the inevitable (Kali), but reveres her, and lays at her feet knowing full well that she will not Harm him.

Dhanyavad

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The title of the topic is not correct. Most Hindu goddesses do not have a fierce aspect. Do Mothers Parvati, Lakshmi or Saraswati have a fierce aspect? No. They don't. Durga, Amba, Bhavani may be fierce at times but Shanta Durga (famous temple in Goa) is peaceful and loving. Mother Durga has many peaceful aspects. Shilaputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Skandamata, Mahagauri and Siddhidatri are peaceful aspects while Kali, Chandi, Katyayani, Kalaratri, Bhiravi are the fierce aspects. Bhadrakali is the peaceful aspect of Kali. There are other forms, of which too, some are fierce and some are peaceful. For example, Chamunda and Jwala are fierce while Sharika and Ragnya are considered peaceful. Annapoorna, Tripurasundari Lalita, Mookambika, Sarvamangala are peaceful forms of the Mother. (According to my limited knowledge. The Mother is worshiped in countless other forms all over India)
Navadurga - Wikipedia
10 Forms of Shakti that are worshipped during Navratri

It is like any mother who would be peaceful and loving to her children and fierce if someone tries to harm them. The Divine Mother too is not any different. But even in her fierce form, She is still the Mother. That is her permanent aspect.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I have my thoughts on the fierceness factor... that Hindu gods and goddesses carry weapons and are portrayed fierce does not actually mean they are wrathful... that depiction simply means the different types of sins the deity can annihilate if worshiped. For example, the noose when carried (might have seen in many goddesses arms) does not mean that deity will take away life like Yama... rather it means the deity is capable of granting liberation. And so forth for other weapons.

Coming to Mahalakshmi, I always wondered if in Kolhapur where there is a big temple for her, whether her aspect there can be deemed fierce, as she has vanquished the asura Kolhasura there...

Just wanted to mention that actual fierce term can be applied to some goddesses of the dasa mahavidhya pantheon of goddesses. That is, they cannot be freely worshiped by anyone for material wishes. In that case, the sadhaka might actually be punished instead of rewarded, etc. This is what I heard of some of the dasa mahavidhyas.

atma varta

Namaste,

I've been reading a lot on Hindu Goddesses lately and I came to the conclusion that almost all of them (except for Radha and Sita maybe) also do have a fierce aspect. I've been interested in various mythologies since childhood and I tried to compare the Hindu goddesses to European warrior goddesses but the comparison doesn't really work, because in a war there supposedly is always a part of yourself that you have to hold back, like analyzing your situation or thinking about strategy. I also don't think that an army would be likely to follow an apparent "madwoman". I tried to focus on what several Hindu goddesses make me feel like and I always have the feeling that in most Hindu goddesses I read about there is always that element of "going to far". For example, when I see an image of Kali I could identify with her because I once suffered fron acute psychosis and now I know what it is like if you strike out with blind rage against anything you come across. (I wasn't violent, to make this clear but thoughts are powerful. For example, I "meditated" in front of a switched-off black screen TV set because I admired the concept absolute blackness when the illusion machine is turned off ... ). Now, I "know" what being like Kali could be like ... but I wouldn't like to be in a "Kali-like state" again. So what would you suggest? Focusing solely on the nice-only goddesses? Or am I entirely mistaken and Hindu goddesses have aspects I haven't considered yet? Thanks for your replies.

Looks like you have been mistaken about MA Kali:

According to the Tantric tradition, the whole manifested world springs from the Infinite Consciousness of the beatific union between Shiva and Shakti .The description of the Great Cosmic Wisdom Kali describes her as being dark as the night, dancing over Shiva’s inert, white body. This representation reveals the significance of the two fundamental aspects of Reality: on one hand there is the dynamic, immanent aspect of cosmic energy (Kaali’s dance) and on the other the static, transcendent aspect of consciousness(identified with Shiva).
NAME: Kali is so called because She devours Kaala (time) and then resumes her own dark formlessness. She is the embodiment of three gunas (qualities of nature): She creates with her sattva guna (quality of goodness and purity), preserves with rajas (passion and activity), and destroys with tamas (ignorance and inertia).

I have tried to explain Ma KALI – Tantric Esoteric Symbolism
COMPLEXION: the dark color of her skin indicates that the processes of the creation are dissolved in kaali.

TONGUE: Kaali’s white teeth symbolize sattva or serenity; her red tongue, rajas, or activity; and Her drunkenness: tamas or inertia. The meaning: tamas can be conquered by rajas and rajas by sattva. Elongated tongue also symbolizes balance (khechari mudra).

FULL BREAST: She is the nourisher of all beings.

NECKLACE: It consists of fifty skulls that represent the fifty letters of the Sanskrit alphabet, the origin of sound. She is Shabda Brahman (Sound-Brahman), or Logos-the source of creation. Every skull is of different color symbolizes different frequencies of primordial sound

TWO RIGHT ARMS: The upper right arm grants fearlessness and the lower right arm offers boons. She protects /preserves, and she is the giver

TWO LEFT ARMS: She holds a sword with the upper left arm and a severed head with the lower. She can cut human bondage with the sword of knowledge, and she imparts wisdom to the head, the receptacle of supreme wisdom.

NAKED FORM: She is also known as digambari, “clad in space.” She is infinite, so no finite dress can cover her.

WAIST: Kaali’s waist is encircled with a girdle of severed human arms, covering her genital area (yoni). Yoni represents source of creation, arms represent karma. She is creating us to perform karma in the plane of action.

SHIVA IS UNDER HER FEET: Shiva and Shakti are always together. He is the changeless aspect of the Supreme, and She the apparently changing aspect of the same. Shiva is pure cosmic consciousness, and Kaali is dynamic aspect cosmic energy. No creation is possible without their union. Siva cannot manifest without the power of Shakti, and Shakti cannot function without the consciousness of Shiva. Standing on the chest implies the dynamic aspect of creation has come out of the potential aspect of the cosmic energy both are actually one.

DAKSHINA KALI AND VAMA KALI: If her right foot is forward, She is Dakshina Kali (benign form); and if her left foot is forward, Vama Kali(terrible form).

This is a small effort to decode the tantric symbolism however the mysterious influence of Kali is so complex and hidden that only few pure souls may see through the real significance and complete meaning at higher level of consciousness. It is impossible to explain the complete symbolism through words only it is completely a matter of experience and realization..