• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do many CEOs support the Paris Accord?

Altfish

Veteran Member
It isn't CEOs who suffer because of climate change. It is peasants and other poor people whose crops fail, lands get flooded, etc.

Grumpuss

The answer to that question involves investigation into the motivation of each and every CEO. They operate in a manner to maximize profits, both for themselves and their shareholders. If they can figure out an angle to profit in a society with less fossil fuel consumption, then perhaps they will have a "crisis of conscience" and suddenly care about the environment (Elon Musk, anyone?). Or perhaps they are willing to sacrifice potential financial gain because they have a track record demonstrating altruism in a vacuum.

2xtNvX0.jpg

Revelation 13:16-17 "And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name."

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If the Paris Accord was money, then why are many CEOs expressing their disagreement with Trump's decision?

Here's how CEOs reacted to Trump's exit from Paris climate agreement

Shouldn't they be in agreement?

I'm not asking rhetorically either. I'm kind of on the fence but am now leaning with these CEOs especially when you have the likes of Google and Microsoft.

In my opinion its a public relations thing because if they were lobbying hard for it in politics we wouldn't have pulled out. Politicians even Trump run to the money. My guess the CEO's see it as neutral for the company but a positive for the companies Public relations.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe they are not looking forward with enthusiasm to trying to make a profit in the politically and economically unstable world climate change is bringing upon us.

4consideration

Premium Member
If the Paris Accord was money, then why are many CEOs expressing their disagreement with Trump's decision?

I'm not asking rhetorically either. I'm kind of on the fence but am now leaning with these CEOs especially when you have the likes of Google and Microsoft.
I think many of these CEOs have products made in China and other countries, so that while they appear to (still) be American companies to many Americans, they would actually be in competition with American manufacturing.

I wouldn't expect them to welcome the likelihood of new competition with open arms.

pearl

I think there are some CEOs who recognize there are jobs and profits to be made within alternative energy. We forget the Paris Accords are wholly voluntary, so Trump's idea of renegotiating a deal is absurd. I also heard it will take up to a full year exit the Accord.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I think there are some CEOs who recognize there are jobs and profits to be made within alternative energy. We forget the Paris Accords are wholly voluntary, so Trump's idea of renegotiating a deal is absurd.
I feel like most of this post is superfluous. Allow me to make some adjustments, to make it multi-purpose;

Trump's ideas are absurd.

There we go! You can now basically post that in any Trump thread and have at least a 99% chance of being an apt description of what's going on.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

My guess would be that they rather be part of the process, so at least they have some say in it. Trump is deluding himself; we live in a global economy now and by removing the US from the Paris climate agreement we remove our voice as well.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Another consideration:
It costs money to refit businesses to comply with energy regulations. If regulations keep changing every 2-4 years, this causes businesses to waste a lot of money. Businessss need a somewhat stable regulatory environment so they can predict their expenses. Since Democrats are likely to reinstate regulations when they return to power, it just might not make sense to keep whiplashing back and forth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It isn't CEOs who suffer because of climate change. It is peasants and other poor people whose crops fail, lands get flooded, etc.
CEOs who own property in Florida would suffer from rising sea
levels which would ultimately put the entire state under water.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If the Paris Accord was about money, then why are many CEOs expressing their disagreement with Trump's decision?

Because hi-technology growth in the energy sector that will actually bring jobs and prosperity in US is through investing in renewable energy and other emission reduction technologies. Developing countries are going that way anyways.

Paris climate deal: Why is business angry at US withdrawal? - BBC News

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Clean, renewable, and sustainable energy is the wave of tomorrow. Either get on board now and lead the way, or get left behind. And that getting left behind in this case will be a severe detriment to tomorrow's bottom line.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Many of these CEO's are heavy Republican donors, such as Exxon-Mobile, BP, Walmart, GE, etc., and yet they're taking a position that could cost them some money. I do believe they at least understand that climate change is happening and that it has severe consequences for the future, even as the U.S. Department of Defense has determined.

You know, Eisenhower and Kennedy spent much time, effort, and money to prop up our scientific programs after the Soviets launched Sputnik, but now we're seeing a large segment of the American population, prompted by right-wing politicians, virtually running in the opposite direction by putting the "science" of politicians ahead of the science of real scientists.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If regulations keep changing every 2-4 years, this causes businesses to waste a lot of money. Businessss need a somewhat stable regulatory environment so they can predict their expenses.
I believe that this is a huge part of the CEO's motivation. They can see the handwriting on the wall. They want an orderly and consistent environment to plan for.
Also consistency across borders. They don't want to have to deal with a patchwork of different and constantly changing regulations in different countries. A global plan that everyone is on board with is going to be good for business.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Show of hands: How many of you in here believe the Paris Climate Treaty had a blessed thing to do with alleviating the climate change hoax?

suncowiam

Show of hands: How many of you in here believe the Paris Climate Treaty had a blessed thing to do with alleviating the climate change hoax?

Well, if Trump doesn't believe in climate change then why not simply say so? Why even suggest a renegotiation as opposed to an absolute no?

Is this how Trump should respond to a hoax but with another hoax?

That's not even the point of this thread. Read the OP again and answer why the CEOs are not agreeing with the president.