• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Liberals hate the rich and powerful?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I thought a large portion of liberals where the rich and powerful.

Aren't most of the famous Rich actors Liberal Democrats.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sorry that this doesn't directly answer the question, Rick, but this is something that gnaws on my mind from time to time...

One of the basic tenants of conservative political philosophy appears to be maintaining a small government. (I could be wrong--I'm lacking much in political science!) Yet, conservatives appear to support big business.

It seems that in our current state, the lines between the American political system and the American economic system. Big business in many ways has become our government. One may protest, "But wait! The economy is of vital importance to a functional country, and sometimes the lines need to be blurred."

But why support a small government that is there to serve the people, and big businesses which are there to profit from the people? To me, this is rather hypocritical and imbalanced.

I see the answer to your question laying somewhere in this distinction. It's not an issue of hating power or authority, but a choice over where the authority comes from and a different distribution of power.

Hope this helps. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the rich and powerful often appear to be social predators or parasites, gaining their wealth at the expense of the middle and working classes.
Perhaps they show little social conscience, and little concern for environmental, social or human-rights issues.
Perhaps they flaunt their wealth in ostentatious displays, as we shake our heads and remark on the social good that could be done with the money they spend on houses, clothes, entertainment, &c.
Perhaps we're peeved when not a week goes by without news of a new scheme, abuse of power or theft coming to light.

Why do we hate authority? [I'm reminded of the "Have you stopped beating your wife?" question, here;)]
We are not authoratarian, we're not heierarchical, we're 'democratic' (google if the term is new to you).
We do not need leaders. We feel competent to conduct our affairs without outside assistance, and to form our own opinions without guidence from above.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
OK, let me rephrase this a little, Why do Liberals hate authority?

You actually think rich = authority?

And liberals don't "hate authority", they just hate the incompetence, corruption, misconduct, abuse, etc. of authority. Authority must be just and fair with checks and balances.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Does Bill Gates hate himself? Do the Kennedy's hate themselves? Does George Soros hate himself? Does Ted Turner hate himself?

Here's a better question: Why do conservatives hate poor people so much?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Q: Why do liberals hate the rich and powerful?
A: idk. its congenital, ithink. :D

Q: Why do conservatives hate poor people so much?
A: idk. its cuz they don't work, ithink. :D

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Q: Why do Conservatives hate poor people so much?
A: idk. its cuz they don't work, ithink. :D

There are a lot of poor people who work a lot of overtime and their fingers to the bone yet still have a hard time making ends meet. Likewise there are a lot of rich people who were born into wealth and had everything handed to them all their lives.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
There are a lot of poor people who work a lot of overtime and their fingers to the bone yet still have a hard time making ends meet. Likewise there are a lot of rich people who were born into wealth and had everything handed to them all their lives.
I ment that conservatism doesn't work. poor people are poor cuz they aint rich.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Jesus had a legitimate beef with corrupt people and institutions - corrupt politicians, corrupt religious leaders, corrupt wealthy people, corrupt governments, corrupt POOR people, hypocrites of any ilk. It's not wealth that makes a person corrupt - and wealth is a relative concept anyway. There's not a person posting on this website who wouldn't be considered wealthy by someone's standards.