• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam Have Histories Of Religious Violence?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have much more religious violence in their histories than do Classical Paganism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism?

Is it something to do with the religions themselves?

kai

ragamuffin
what is classical paganism sunstone? would the romans be pagans they were not peaceful how about the greeks macedonians,celts or anglo saxons ,danes ,huns , mongols,the samurai ,persians, ancient egyptians? the list is endless

YamiB.

I would think that most religions share atrocities in their history. At least one factor I would consider for smaller incidents in the older religions would be the lower population that existed.

Genna

Didn't Jesus say somewhere in the bible that he didn't come to bring peace but division? maybe the devil leaves the false religions alone and causes dissensions in the true religions, I don't know. Thats just my 1 penny worth!:)

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
Why do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have much more religious violence in their histories than do Classical Paganism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism?

Is it something to do with the religions themselves?
When there is a monotheism, there is a tremendous procivility to say that my God is the only true God. Those who protest become targets.

PetShopBoy88

Genna said:
Didn't Jesus say somewhere in the bible that he didn't come to bring peace but division? maybe the devil leaves the false religions alone and causes dissensions in the true religions, I don't know. Thats just my 1 penny worth!:)
He didn't come to bring peace but to bring the sword...

As to the question at hand - I believe it all has to do with population. They have more violence because they have more people. More people = greater chance to have followers that are naughty. :tsk:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
Why do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have much more religious violence in their histories than do Classical Paganism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism.
Do we know they actually have more religious violence?

Do you mean historically, presently, or both?

Genna

PetShopBoy88 said:
He didn't come to bring peace but to bring the sword...

I think thats the verse, I am pretty sure it is! that seems to explain the violence between christianities main antagonist Islam, they are alway in opposition.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Pah said:
When there is a monotheism, there is a tremendous procivility to say that my God is the only true God. Those who protest become targets.

Clearly it isn't universal. afaik, we're the monotheists sitting in Israel decidedly *not* wanting to fight with anyone...quite the opposite...we're here to promote peace and say it's all the same God anyway.

kai

ragamuffin
it depends on the militaristic nature of the civilisation involved. the celts were close to nature and the earth but still had a warrior caste the same could be said for many native american tribes

Booko

Deviled Hen
kai said:
it depends on the militaristic nature of the civilisation involved. the celts were close to nature and the earth but still had a warrior caste the same could be said for many native american tribes

That's one of the reasons I asked if we actually know that those religions are more violent.

If we're talking about historical paganism, we don't exactly have a lot of reliable records of their history of warfare, but we do know there was warfare.

And then, I'm thinking of the pagan Norse...pretty darned warlike, eh?

kai

ragamuffin
Booko said:
That's one of the reasons I asked if we actually know that those religions are more violent.

If we're talking about historical paganism, we don't exactly have a lot of reliable records of their history of warfare, but we do know there was warfare.

thats right , you had to have some kind of warrior class or you didnt live long as a tribe, that would have progressed over the centuries, it was a matter of survival that turned into full blown empires. when has there ever been a peaceful time or a peaceful country that still is a country.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
kai said:
what is classical paganism sunstone? would the romans be pagans they were not peaceful how about the greeks macedonians,celts or anglo saxons ,danes ,huns , mongols,the samurai ,persians, ancient egyptians? the list is endless

Classical Paganism as distinct from modern Paganism.

Can you name even one war fought for religious reasons by the Romans or Greeks, for instance?

kai

ragamuffin
Sunstone said:
Classical Paganism as distinct from modern Paganism.

Can you name even one war fought for religious reasons by the Romans or Greeks, for instance?
is it possible to seperate the religion of rome from rome itself at times the emporer was devine, alexander proclaimed he was the son of Amon didnt he

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Booko said:
Do we know they actually have more religious violence?

So far as I know, it is generally accepted by scholars of comparative religion that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have had more religious violence than have had Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. In fact, I can only think of one religious war fought in the Far East. That was the war started by a Hinu prince to drive Buddhism out of India.

Do you mean historically, presently, or both?

Historically.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
kai said:
is it possible to seperate the religion of rome from rome itself at times the emporer was devine, alexander proclaimed he was the son of Amon didnt he

Interesting that you should bring up something that came about due to Middle Eastern influences on the Romans. The notion that an emperor was divine was something the Romans imported from the Middle East, birthplace of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Do you think there might be a connection between that and the question of the OP? I'm not sure there is, but I'd be interested in your opinion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Booko said:

Are you suggesting the Norse went to war for religious reasons?

Also, can you name any religious wars conducted by the Greeks or the Romans?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
kai said:

Yes, but did they often go to war for religious reasons?

kai

ragamuffin
Sunstone said:
Interesting that you should bring up something that came about due to Middle Eastern influences on the Romans. The notion that an emperor was divine was something the Romans imported from the Middle East, birthplace of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Do you think there might be a connection between that and the question of the OP? I'm not sure there is, but I'd be interested in your opinion.
how was this imported from the middle east?, who was the first emperor to claim godhead ?i must go to work now but i hope to continue this very interesting topic later