• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses change the meaning of John 10:17-18?From the kings james one?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
There are Chabadnicks that refer to the Rebbe as "deity." These are heretics. But they are OUR beloved heretics. :) The mission of Chabad is to lovingly support Jews coming into deeper observance, and that is a very very good thing. I have often attended Chabad in my past, and find them to be a wonderful bunch. But they are a small minority of the Jewish world. You cannot judge Judaism by Chabad.

Yes we are still waiting for the messiah to come. We will know the Messiah because he will fulfill ALL the prophecies. So far, no one has managed to do that. Yes, one of the things the messiah will do is bring all the Jews back to Israel.
There are Chabadnicks that refer to the Rebbe as "deity." These are heretics. But they are OUR beloved heretics. :) The mission of Chabad is to lovingly support Jews coming into deeper observance, and that is a very very good thing. I have often attended Chabad in my past, and find them to be a wonderful bunch. But they are a small minority of the Jewish world. You cannot judge Judaism by Chabad.

Yes we are still waiting for the messiah to come. We will know the Messiah because he will fulfill ALL the prophecies. So far, no one has managed to do that. Yes, one of the things the messiah will do is bring all the Jews back to Israel.
Insofar as I see, that isn't going to happen real soon. And then of course the question is: what's a real Jew? :) I didn't know there are those who consider M. Schneerson as a deity. hmm. Of course, he's dead now, do you believe that?

YoursTrue

Some of them did. Many of them never happened, but are myth and legend.
Remember the little legend told about Moses and why he stuttered?

I didn't say one can judge Judaism by the Chabadnicks, although they are a strong enough voice within the Jewish enclave, aren't they?
And aside from other questions in regard to your post, what ARE the prophecies you believe the Messiah will fulfill?

YoursTrue

Some of them did. Many of them never happened, but are myth and legend.
Speaking of myth and legend, what do you think about the story passed on about Moses and his speech impediment, you know, when it was passed on that he took the burning coal in his mouth? Did you ever hear that?

YoursTrue

(That's going to be a long time, if ever. That is, natural Jews or those legitimately converted.) How would you tell who is a real Jew? Interesting though that M. Schneerson lived in the United States, didn't he, and many of his followers live in the U.S.

YoursTrue

How can the Spirit of God dwell in someone unless it is alive, a living Spirit.
There is ONE Spirit and so the Spirit of God is the Spirit of Christ and both the Father and Son come and make their home in those who love Jesus and keep His word, which is the word of the Father.
John 14:22Judas (not Iscariot) asked Him, “Lord, why are You going to reveal Yourself to us and not to the world?” 23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

Jesus reveals Himself to us when His Spirit, the Spirit of God, comes to dwell in those who love Him.
As KenS said, the 3 in one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
As a JW you should also take notice of the fact that Jesus said this happens to anyone who loves Him and keeps His word. IOWs, not just to 144000 anointed Christians.
All Christians who love Jesus and keep His word are therefore children of God and heirs along with Jesus (see Romans 8)
Do you realize that the Law said that if the Jews obeyed the Law, they would come to be a Kingdom of priests, right? Not sure if you answered this in another post, so please overlook if I missed it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Insofar as I see, that isn't going to happen real soon. And then of course the question is: what's a real Jew? :) I didn't know there are those who consider M. Schneerson as a deity. hmm. Of course, he's dead now, do you believe that?
I have never believed the Rebbe, of blessed memory, to be deity, or even the messiah. To me he was simply a righteous man.

The only authority on what is a Jew is Halakha (Jewish law). According to Halakha , a Jew is anyone born of a Jewish woman OR who is a formal convert. You can believe the Torah and keep all 613 commands, and it does not make you suddenly a Jew. Simiarly, if you are Jewish, you can't "un-Jew" yourself -- you can be a sinful Jew, even a complete atheist, but you are still a Jew.

IndigoChild5559

Remember the little legend told about Moses and why he stuttered?

I didn't say one can judge Judaism by the Chabadnicks, although they are a strong enough voice within the Jewish enclave, aren't they?
And aside from other questions in regard to your post, what ARE the prophecies you believe the Messiah will fulfill?
Here in the USA, the strongest Jewish voice is actually that of Reform Judaism.

IndigoChild5559

Speaking of myth and legend, what do you think about the story passed on about Moses and his speech impediment, you know, when it was passed on that he took the burning coal in his mouth? Did you ever hear that?
I'm not familiar with this folktale.

IndigoChild5559

(That's going to be a long time, if ever. That is, natural Jews or those legitimately converted.) How would you tell who is a real Jew? Interesting though that M. Schneerson lived in the United States, didn't he, and many of his followers live in the U.S.
As I posted elsewhere, Halakha determines who is a real Jew, which basically means those born of a Jewish mother and those who have formally converted.

Although the main body of Chabad is the US, they have shluchim (Missionaries) all over the world. They are great ministers to the Jewish people, and they receive a lot of financial support from Jews who are not Chabad. I really enjoy their yearly telethon. :)

YoursTrue

I have never believed the Rebbe, of blessed memory, to be deity, or even the messiah. To me he was simply a righteous man.

The only authority on what is a Jew is Halakha (Jewish law). According to Halakha , a Jew is anyone born of a Jewish woman OR who is a formal convert. You can believe the Torah and keep all 613 commands, and it does not make you suddenly a Jew. Simiarly, if you are Jewish, you can't "un-Jew" yourself -- you can be a sinful Jew, even a complete atheist, but you are still a Jew.
You are not a Chabadnick anyway, are you? In regard to the Halakha definition of who would be constituted a Jew, I can only imagine two things: one, it would be difficult to get all those considering themselves part of the Jewish religion to go to Israel and two, they'd have to be examined or questioned I suppose at the very least to determine just how "Jewish" they are. Therefore -- you figure the rest out. If that is the truth -- that all Jews would return to Israel, I guess the Chabanick followers of R. Schneerson didn't believe that.

YoursTrue

As I posted elsewhere, Halakha determines who is a real Jew, which basically means those born of a Jewish mother and those who have formally converted.

Although the main body of Chabad is the US, they have shluchim (Missionaries) all over the world. They are great ministers to the Jewish people, and they receive a lot of financial support from Jews who are not Chabad. I really enjoy their yearly telethon. :)
So do you live in Israel?

YoursTrue

I'm not familiar with this folktale.
How long have you been a Jew, and what branch of Judaism were you raised in, may I ask, if you were born and raised a Jew, because it's a pretty common folk tale from the Jews about how Moses got a speech impediment. Also, the folktale about the Jews and the Law at Mt. Sinai, how they were the only ones willing to accept the Law, are you familiar with that folktale?

YoursTrue

Here in the USA, the strongest Jewish voice is actually that of Reform Judaism.
The ones that make the news usually are the very orthodox. Such as the ones that caused a bit of riotous stir in Israel. Israel crush: Dozens killed at Lag B'Omer religious festival - BBC News
Shame, isn't it? that in the mayhem they trampled on one another. Sad that people behave that way. It's a sad story that they couldn't control themselves trampling others in their fervor and rush. Sad.

YoursTrue

Do you live in Israel perhaps in anticipation of what you've been taught regarding the Messiah?

IndigoChild5559

You are not a Chabadnick anyway, are you? In regard to the Halakha definition of who would be constituted a Jew, I can only imagine two things: one, it would be difficult to get all those considering themselves part of the Jewish religion to go to Israel and two, they'd have to be examined or questioned I suppose at the very least to determine just how "Jewish" they are. Therefore -- you figure the rest out. If that is the truth -- that all Jews would return to Israel, I guess the Chabanick followers of R. Schneerson didn't believe that.
That is correct; I am not a Chabadnick, though I have great appreciation for them. But I'm just not into making people into the Messiah who haven't fulfilled the prophecies.

Yes, having all Jews move to Israel is difficult to imagine -- ultimately it will only be accomplished by the messiah. Yes, Chabad teaches this as well.

IndigoChild5559

The ones that make the news usually are the very orthodox. Such as the ones that caused a bit of riotous stir in Israel. Israel crush: Dozens killed at Lag B'Omer religious festival - BBC News
Shame, isn't it? that in the mayhem they trampled on one another. Sad that people behave that way. It's a sad story that they couldn't control themselves trampling others in their fervor and rush. Sad.
The media likes stories that are of things unusual, thus their focus on the Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox. Nevertheless, only 10% of American Jews are Orthodox, and 35% are reform.

YoursTrue

The media likes stories that are of things unusual, thus their focus on the Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox. Nevertheless, only 10% of American Jews are Orthodox, and 35% are reform.
Yes, but -- can you tell me again what expectations or hopes you have that the prophecies in the Bible will be fulfilled? Prophecies regarding the messiah. Or the future. True that religions have their various divisions and sects, but then -- that's the way it is --

YoursTrue

Not at this time. If the messiah comes, I'm sure I'll be moving.
Ah ... thank you for your answer. Do you think it's possible the messiah will be born maybe in China or Australia? What about Israel? By the way, not that it's important, but I've been to Israel quite some years ago, went to Masada also the wailing wall in Jerusalem. It was a visit, I didn't live there. :)