• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Iranians have a chip on their shoulder?

ronki23

Iranian expats complain about the way Iran is being run and most are not even Muslims ( smoke and drink) but they say they're Iranian when meeting someone new

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Iranian expats complain about the way Iran is being run and most are not even Muslims ( smoke and drink) but they say they're Iranian when meeting someone new
What does that have to do with anything? It's their cultural heritage.

As far as I can see, what you're complaining about is really the same for any other nation and especially for those with a long history like Persia, China, Japan and so forth.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I understand.
I hate it too when Pelosi says she's Italian but can't even say hi in Italian...
:p

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you talking about the Iranian government having a chip on its shoulder? Or are you saying this about Iranians in general? I haven't known that many Iranians, but those I have met seemed rather mellow and friendly.

MikeDwight

I read a book on this, though its not my interests. Well, obviously since the 70's religious takeover, and they got an Imam on top of the whole country with an American Republic under an Imam, which almost smells of democracy. Well people at the fringes , maybe you're rich you can ski, you can street race. Religious police still don't stop prostitution. They like to talk about the weakness of "Andalusia" and always look out for "Andalusia" because Andalusia let in all cultures and it was a Golden period but from the inside weakness and ideas caused it to fall to Spain. They had a war with Iraq and its as simple as religion. All their cemeteries are holy sites. it was a huge bodycount disaster for everyone and chemical weapons. Shia believe I've heard in the intercession of dead Imams. They do act strangely about the pictures of dead relatives at these pilgrimage cemeteries, I don't know what its about.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Explain why the West, USA and Britain, stole their country in the early 50s.

It will be easier to explain why they despise the West if you understand that.
Tom
Good point,
Also interesting would be an explanation of why the West carved up the middle East into a random patchwork of subservient states after WWI, after promising everyone independence for their co-operation.
Sykes–Picot Agreement - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They had a war with Iraq and its as simple as religion. All their cemeteries are holy sites. it was a huge bodycount disaster for everyone and chemical weapons.
To say they "had a war with Iraq" could be rephrased as...
"With US assistance, Iraq attacked Iran, starting a deadly war."
And guess who supplied those chemical weapons to Iraq.
It's possible that there's some lingering resentment against us.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To say they "had a war with Iraq" could be rephrased as...
"With US assistance, Iraq attacked Iran, starting a deadly war."
And guess who supplied those chemical weapons to Iraq.
It's possible that there's some lingering resentment against us.
And don't forget the fact that we were secretly selling arms to Iran, as well, to fund a war against democracy in Nicaragua.;)

"The business of America is business."

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Good point,
Also interesting would be an explanation of why the West carved up the middle East into a random patchwork of subservient states after WWI, after promising everyone independence for their co-operation.
Sykes–Picot Agreement - Wikipedia
But you can't explain this to Trump supporters like Shmogie and Rev and Cailie and such.

They simply refuse to see the evidence when it interferes with their ideology.
Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It used to be that.
Gone are the days when we conquer & stateify countries like Hawaii.
Now it's just unproductive violence resulting from misguided nation building.
Unproductive? The US wouldn't put so much time and effort into interventionism if there weren't money to be made with a co-operative despot.

sooda

Veteran Member

Tom

The White Revolution of the 1960 caused the Islamic backlash.

Audie

Veteran Member

Tom

Do you think the average Iranian does? That is not
the impression I get from those I've met.

Audie

Veteran Member
Unproductive? The US wouldn't put so much time and effort into interventionism if there weren't money to be made with a co-operative despot.

It is productive in the geo political game of keeping
your enemies weak and disorganized.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What exactly surprises you in that situation? Every single part is expected enough from where I stand.

1. Iran is a theocracy. A Muslim theocracy at that. And one that has managed to make enemies of Israel, the USA and Saudi Arabia all at once, to boot. It is also simply badly managed. Plenty of reason to complain about the governance.

2. Of course many Iran expats will not be Muslims. Not being Muslims is much of the reason why an Iranian will want to be an expat to begin with.

3. I am not aware of any forbiddance of tobacco in Islaam.

4. While alcohol is strictly forbidden, the simple fact is that there is a lot of alcohol in the Muslim world. Many Muslims will indeed drink alcoholic beverages; they just won't present that as indication of being good Muslims, understandably enough.

5. Why would they deny being Iranians, if Iranians they are? Perhaps you are puzzled by some sort of defensive attitude when they are faced with criticism of Iran? People are like that.

6. No amount of (often justified) criticism of Iran or Iranian's governments, past or present, is expected to erase the memory of the rather gross manipulation of Iran's fortunes by "western" governments in the 1950s up to (arguably) the 1970s.

7. Even if it did, people tend to cling to narratives about the cruel exploration from those capitalist foreigners. You would not believe how much vitriol against the USA exists here in Brazil, with hardly any justification.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do Iranians have a chip on their shoulder?

Only one shoulder? To be a well balanced nationalist one needs a chip on both shoulders

Not sure what religion has to do with the mess that is being made of their country.

I have the same feelings for my country, as a british ex pat i loath what is happening to my country and i am not religious

Audie

Veteran Member
W

7. Even if it did, people tend to cling to narratives about the cruel exploration from those capitalist foreigners. You would not believe how much vitriol against the USA exists here in Brazil, with hardly any justification.

Re your last point there-
The Filipinos have much reason to be very
anti Japanese, and, a good measure of anti American
too. May as well toss in anti Spanish, too.

But they just are not.

Chinese, on the other hand, are very anti Japanese.
This is a deliberate and successful campaign out of
Beijing.

Taiwan, Singapore and Honk Kong are like, hey, that
is then, this is now. All of those people are dead now
anyway.