• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do I go to church?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't know why I continue to go to church

I am most probably an atheist right now although this has always been subject to change....

And am most certainly not a Christian:

Holy Trinity?

Nope.

Great flood?

Nope.

Virgin birth?

Nope.

Resurrection?

Nope.

Yet I still go

I am strangely drawn to it all

I think a part of me wants to believe and wants it to be true

Altfish

Veteran Member

I am most probably an atheist right now although this has always been subject to change....

Holy Trinity?

Nope.

Great flood?

Nope.

Virgin birth?

Nope.

Resurrection?

Nope.

Yet I still go

Is it because of the friendships you've made as part of the congregation?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Because it's nice to partake in ancient rites and a way of connecting with your forebears.
Yes, you are right

That's why I prefer church music to be played on an organ as opposed to by a rock band or a guy on guitar (and I say this as a guy who plays guitar)

It feels more ancient and I enjoy the whole ancient vibe and the feeling of tradition and connecting to the past

Yerda

Veteran Member
Yes, you are right

That's why I prefer church music to be played on an organ as opposed to by a rock band or a guy on guitar (and I say this as a guy who plays guitar)

It feels more ancient and I enjoy the whole ancient vibe and the feeling of tradition and connecting to the past
I love the organs too. This though:

That lad is part bass I reckon. I don't think I'd have stopped going to Church if it was like this.

Anyway, if it's working for you keep at it. A community of nice people is worth a lot.

Truth in love

Holy Trinity?

Nope.

Great flood?

Nope.

Virgin birth?

Nope.

Resurrection?

Nope.

Yet I still go

A few thoughts.

1. Habit
2. Social
3. Even though you reject some teachings you may find yourself drawn to others that you do accept.
4. Maybe a given idea is in the gray not fully right or wrong. I watched a documentary on gravity awhile back. At one point we had concluded that gravity and weight we tightly linked 20Lbs would fall 2x as fast as 10lbs. It’s not accurate, Yet not entirely wrong as very light items can drift a fair bit in their way down and heavy items don’t. You might feel drawn to discover things even if you see error.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Holy Trinity?

Nope.

Great flood?

Nope.

Virgin birth?

Nope.

Resurrection?

Nope.

Yet I still go

Churches and all religious institutions teach what they think is right, but there's nothing the matter for us to disagree in part, whether small or large. In my case, I use the time at mass for meditation purposes as I'm the kind of person who questions everything, including my own sanity at times.:emojconfused: And my priest well recognizes and accepts this.

Viker

Häxan
Friends, familiarity, traditions, a harmless even beneficial routine, nothing wrong with it. That's probably why you keep going.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Holy Trinity?

Nope.

Great flood?

Nope.

Virgin birth?

Nope.

Resurrection?

Nope.

Yet I still go

I go to church. Essenrial for me is to stay faithful to what I believe

Churches and all religious institutions teach what they think is right, but there's nothing the matter for us to disagree in part, whether small or large. In my case, I use the time at mass for meditation purposes as I'm the kind of person who questions everything, including my own sanity at times.:emojconfused:
For me, it's also about introspection, and my own connection with the Divine

And my priest well recognizes and accepts this.
That's really fantastic

The church I go to is not like that, so I had to tell the priest, after he belittled all other faiths, that what he did was not Jesus-like; as Jesus clearly stated "thou shall not judge".

He got really mad, when I told him that, and the next maybe 20 sermons he repeated something like "only we are right, all other religions are wrong, false Prophets etc.".

I just watched his performance from the second row.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For me, it's also about introspection, and my own connection with the Divine
Then it appears that we are kindred spirits. :)

The church I go to is not like that, so I had to tell the priest, after he belittled all other faiths, that what he did was not Jesus-like; as Jesus clearly stated "thou shall not judge".
That even goes against what's in the Catechism plus what Jesus' taught as you mentioned. There's definitely numerous "old-school" Catholics out there, and many of them dislike PF as we've seen.

Even though I was not Catholic, I've attended mass for over 55 years and was fortunate never to hear a priest nor a deacon badmouth any other denomination or religion. If my priest did that, he'd get an earful from me, but in a private conversation.

As it was, I did this to our current priest as he was getting too "political" for my blood. I told him that if he does this he's playing with fire in this highly charged environment.

Take care, my friend.