• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Humans Destroy Everything?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think much easier, less labor intensive cleanup technology is possible and likely. The main reason people don't clean up is that it takes work and is costly, but we are improving our ability to harness sunlight and direct it intelligently with automation. We can, if we desire, go over every inch of land and sea to extract anything that shouldn't be there. There is more than enough energy available to accomplish that, blasting down from the Sun every day or every year. We can filter the oceans, the rivers and sift every grain of sand. We have this ability. :)

The mounds of trash are also mounds of natural resources to someone with the right technology. The plastic in the ocean may seem tedious to clean up, but its not too tedious for machines to clean up.

Until then its eat, excrete, eat, excrete, reproduce, eat, excrete.

Here's an example of currently widely available tech for computer vision: OpenCV - Wikipedia

Here's information about the amount of energy available from sunlight: Solar energy - Wikipedia

So some smarty people need to get together and build some systems that tediously clean and recycle, pouring, digging, sifting and cleansing. That's about all that's needed. Its a matter of energy, will and automation.

allfoak

Alchemist
Because our "choices" are built on the illusion of power, when the anarchy of capitalist production means there are clear limits to the power we have and the degree we can control the consequences of our actions. The insistence on competition, whether by individuals or corporation or nation-states, greatly restricts the physical scope of our power even if our religions insist we can play god (but shouldn't or else leave it to only the "right" kind of people).

if we had an all powerful totalitarian system to stop such destruction, for it to work it is dependent on the belief that our capacity for sadism is a perversion of the pleasure principle and so is the exception rather than the rule. Sadism may just a way of compensating for our vulnerabilities based on a implict awareness of our inferiority before the awesome power of nature and society.

But the thought of inflicting suffering on all the helpless annoying little people is just so much fun!

Wow! Pretty cloud! :D

nuclear-atom-bomb-explosion-animated-gif.gif
Yes Pugsley, you will get to have your fun soon.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am thinking very broadly. This includes destroying our own bodies. The questions weren't a comprehensive list.

Part of it may also have to do with the human propensity to want instant gratification - or an immediate short-term benefit at the expense of long-term health or other factors.

As an example, I was thinking about the rise in fast-food restaurants, which are often blamed for being environmentally destructive and providing unhealthy food to its consumers. It was different back when most people lived on farms, as farmers would eat all their meals at home. But as people started working more in the cities and factories, they often had very little time to eat lunch. If they didn't want to bring a cold lunch from home, then fast-food seemed a good option for a quick hot lunch.

A lot of households are so hectic in the morning that there may not even be time to make lunch. Or even dinner, so a fast-food dinner is a lot easier for people who are tired from a long day at work and don't feel like cooking dinner.

That brings up another point which has always baffled me: With all the devices and technologies out there designed to save time, why is it that we're always so pressed for time? A lot of people are stressed out, facing deadlines, running out of time, and "there aren't enough hours in the day" to get everything done.

Some people call it a "rat race," but no matter what you call it, the daily stresses of life lead to people finding ways of dealing with it which might entail destroying our own bodies. For example, smoking cigarettes is harmful to one's body, yet when one is stressed out and needs "something" to alleviate the stress, some people might turn to smoking. Then there's also alcohol or other substances people might use. Some people try to reduce stress and gain comfort by eating, but eating too much of the wrong foods can also have detrimental health effects. Many others might use various medications to reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and other such maladies which seem far too common in our society.

Meanwhile, there's a planet of 7 billion people who need food, medical care, housing (beyond just the ramshackle housing that most of the world's population lives in), transportation, communications. The push towards greater development, industry, and infrastructure in the third world has been going on for quite some time, so that they can enjoy the same benefits and standard of living that we have come to enjoy. The UN and other agencies around the world have focused on world-wide hunger, poverty, lack of permanent housing, disease, shortages of medicine and trained medical personnel. They want to improve the lot for billions of people, clean up the horrible slums and awful living conditions we hear so much about.

This is where we've got ourselves in a box, because in order to improve and modernize the developing world, it's going to require even more industry and many of the same environmentally destructive processes which we're talking about. Many of our cities were also in pretty bad shape, which fed the drive for tract homes and suburban housing so people could get out of the crowded, unhealthy cities and into a more suburban or semi-rural environment. Trouble with that is that it wiped out a lot of forest and farmland to make room for all these people who wanted to live better lives and get out of the city. Plus, the need for more roads, freeways, traffic - and the pollution that goes with it.

So, it's kind of a vicious cycle, in a way. We all want our comforts and luxuries that consume energy and resources - and the demand for such things will only continue to rise in the years to come.

But the upside is that humans are also rather clever and may be able to come up with new technologies to alleviate environmental damage and depletion of resources. That may be why most people just want to go on business as usual and hope for the best. Who knows? Maybe someone will invent replicators or warp engines someday. Or maybe not, but I still think there's reason to be hopeful that humanity might find a way out of this dilemma.

But the more immediate problem right now is not so much environmental, but geopolitical. We're just a self-destructive species I guess.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Look to our evolution. What psychological traits developed to enable a successful, hunter-gatherer existence? Tribalism? Competition? Aggressiveness?
We developed intelligence, but had little need for long range planning or complex, multi step insight into long term effects.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why do we think we have the right to destroy the Earth just because we can?

Why do we cause pollution?
Why do we eat a poor diet then expect someone else to look after us when we get sick, because we chose to eat the wrong foods?
Why do we destroy ecosystems across the board?
Why do we keep animals in factory farms and cause them suffering unimaginable, then wreck the environment with by-products of factory farming?
Why do we fill landfills with waste that won't degrade?
Why do we destroy land with nuclear weapons?
Why do we pollute the water and make it undrinkable?

Just in a foul mood over this today and I'm not sure what gives humans the right even to be here anymore, since all we do is just wreck everything. Other animals live in a very delicate balance that we just don't seem to be a part of (or think we are not a part of). It's depressing. We never seem to be content with what we have and in order to produce more, we wreck more. It's disgusting.
Bat caves are disgusting.

Locust swarms eat everything.

Army ants ravages landscapes.. ......

Rats and mice plauges...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Bat caves are disgusting.

Locust swarms eat everything.

Army ants ravages landscapes.. ......

Rats and mice plauges...
Bats aren't dropping A-bombs

Crops regrow after locusts have their fill, but after humans cover the ground in chemicals and toxic waste, then Chernobyl.

Ants don't pollute oceans with plastic.

Those plagues are there to control human population and we should accept that death is a good thing and it culls populations.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Bats aren't dropping A-bombs

Crops regrow after locusts have their fill, but after humans cover the ground in chemicals and toxic waste, then Chernobyl.

Ants don't pollute oceans with plastic.

Those plagues are there to control human population and we should accept that death is a good thing and it culls populations.
No matter what humans do, nature takes care of itself.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I often wonder these questions too, @Rival , even if I know I am somewhat part of these problems (I try but I could do better).

I think most people are just really bad at long-term thinking and perhaps there's some denial and/or ignorance thrown in too.

My biggest peeve though, is that people have children and continue business as usual. I mean, if you want children and presumably love them, wouldn't you want to make sure they survive and also have comfortable lives? Then why does pollution, rampant consumerism and such ills still go on? My husband said to me that most people probably don't think this way.

Also another peeve of mine is the concept of personal choice... I mean these things affect ALL of humanity... Then how is it a personal choice? What about the choice of people who want to live in a clean, healthy and sustainable life? What about people who want humanity to continue on and not die off (taking other species along with us)?

gnomon

Why do we eat a poor diet then expect someone else to look after us when we get sick, because we chose to eat the wrong foods?
Why do we keep animals in factory farms and cause them suffering unimaginable, then wreck the environment with by-products of factory farming?

Just in a foul mood over this today and I'm not sure what gives humans the right even to be here anymore, since all we do is just wreck everything. Other animals live in a very delicate balance that we just don't seem to be a part of (or think we are not a part of). It's depressing. We never seem to be content with what we have and in order to produce more, we wreck more. It's disgusting.

Why do humans ***** about things without bothering to learn about things?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

In addition to what Satre said a lot has to do with explotation. Humans have this cognition of superiority. We litter because we know somebody will pick up the trash. We go to hospitals because people get sick (medicine also contains exploitation). We ultimately exploit the planet because unconsciously humans feel we are superior and we need to supplant that be scavaging resources for our benefit.

Last edited:

gnomon

Who the **** is we?