• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do good things happen to bad people?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

A question rarely asked. I was going to title this thread "Why do good things happen to Republicans?" :D:yes:

Anyway, I didn't, because however misguided Republicans can be, they aren't bad people. In any case, a suggestion:

Good things happen to bad people because they kill good people and take their stuff.

I mean kill metaphorically, because IMHO, whatever weakens you contributes ultimately to your death (thanks Dwight Schroot).

atanu

Premium Member
A question rarely asked. I was going to title this thread "Why do good things happen to Republicans?" :D:yes:

Anyway, I didn't, because however misguided Republicans can be, they aren't bad people. In any case, a suggestion:

Good things happen to bad people because they kill good people and take their stuff.

I mean kill metaphorically, because IMHO, whatever weakens you contributes ultimately to your death (thanks Dwight Schroot).

You have already answered. But I do not agree. You have to answer the following conclusively before you can even attempt to answer your question.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...es/108486-why-would-god-send-good-people.html

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You have already answered. But I do not agree. You have to answer the following conclusively before you can even attempt to answer your question.
I disagree.
Mainly because you assume that god exists.
Now since there are people who are not content with merely saying "GodDidIt"...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
People tend to vastly overestimate the amount of things that "happen" to them in life, both good and bad. Most bad/good happen because people make them happen. Thus, it doesn't necessarily matter what kind of person you are, but rather what kind of things you make happen.

Last edited:

Awoon

Good things like what?

Bad people like, if you make a mistake you are a Mistake?

Seems that how some religions classify Humans.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
People tend to vastly overestimate the amount of things that "happen" to them in life, both good and bad. Most bad/good happen because people make them happen. Thus, it doesn't necessarily matter what kind of person you are, but rather what kind of things you make happen.

Agreed.

And this doesn't necessarily happen on large scales only, but by the effect and little things being created by little actions that build up some kind of wealth in time, money, property, people, etc.

In addition....I think we ought to define what is "good" and what is "bad" here. If I'm building my portfolio well, but I'm a polyamorous non-theist who flashes some cleavage from time to time, where do I qualify? Some might say I'm a threat to a moral society. Some might enjoy the cleavage. Some might think I have too much love for money because of my business decisions. Some might think I am just abiding by the Law of Attraction and giving and receiving benefits.

I've come to the conclusion recently that many things aren't necessarily "good" or "bad", but that it is what it is.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In addition....I think we ought to define what is "good" and what is "bad" here. If I'm building my portfolio well, but I'm a polyamorous non-theist who flashes some cleavage from time to time, where do I qualify? Some might say I'm a threat to a moral society. Some might enjoy the cleavage. Some might think I have too much love for money because of my business decisions. Some might think I am just abiding by the Law of Attraction and giving and receiving benefits.

I've come to the conclusion recently that many things aren't necessarily "good" or "bad", but that it is what it is.
Oh... time to whip out Archie Campbell again.

[youtube]KP2h1gJcsHU[/youtube]
That's bad - YouTube

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Probably the same reason that 'bad' happens to 'good' people.

Things happen....

The rest is just labeling the experience and the one experiencing.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
We are living in experiential reality. Sun shines on both evil and good. Unfortunate incidents visit all with equal chances. God does not play favorite.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Good things like what?

Bad people like, if you make a mistake you are a Mistake?

Seems that how some religions classify Humans.
Come on, now. There are people who do bad things, and if they consistently do bad things, or do only a couple really horrific things, then it is reasonable to label them as "bad people". You don't need a religion to see that.

Awoon

Come on, now. There are people who do bad things, and if they consistently do bad things, or do only a couple really horrific things, then it is reasonable to label them as "bad people". You don't need a religion to see that.

Make a mistake means you where born a mistake.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Make a mistake means you where born a mistake.
Really? How do you figure that one?

EDIT:
Besides, by that measure, we were all born mistakes, since no one has made it through life without making at least one mistake. If that's the case, then I guess it's not that big of a deal to be "born a mistake".