• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do conservative christian fundamentalists tend not to follow their own bible?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why do these "strict and devout" christians, who are so eager to impose their own views upon the rest of the world, not even follow their own holy book?

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6

“Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24

“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matthew 6:24

They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” Matthew 22:21

"But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:39

"Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 19:19

"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Matthew 6:14-15

"Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you." Matthew 5:42

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 6:1

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3-5

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52

jacobweymouth

Why do these "strict and devout" christians, who are so eager to impose their own views upon the rest of the world, not even follow their own holy book?

There are many Christians that like to have, in the words of Ted Haggart, "a little fun on the side." One of the major inherent problems with the United States today is that Christians haven't done their job. So, you're right, after a fasion. I'll address these point by point

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 6:1

No one dislikes pharisees more than I.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3-5

What this is saying is that you should worry about your own sin before other people's sin. Many people don't, and it's wrong, but that doesn't invalidate the judgment.

“Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1

There's a difference between looking at the Bible and saying "according to the Bible, that is wrong", and making your own personal judgments. There is nothing wrong with judgment.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24

All that verse was saying was that wealth brings pride of life and self-satisfaction, and those are impairments to a person realizing that he/she needs Christ.

“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matthew 6:24

100% correct. Many Christians do serve material wealth before God, but not all.
They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” Matthew 22:21

Romans 13 also says to respect the powers that God has ordained. How do Christians violate this commandment?

"But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:39

Look at the context -the context was Jesus bring a new law to the Nation of Israel, not to the Church -the Church didn't exist as yet. This is not a commandment to Christians

"Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 19:19

"Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you." Matthew 5:42

How are these commandments violated?

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52

The Bible actually says "he who LIVES by the sword". The Bible also say that if you don't have a sword to buy one.

Basically what it amounts to is that Christians aren't perfect, but the Bible is -and so is God. You are trying to kill the messenger to invalidate the message -it won't work.

The hypocricy on the part of God's people doesn't make God's word any less relevant.

Last edited:

jacobweymouth

Make people uncomforatable. We're supposed to be the salt of the earth -salt irritates. We've been to willing to compromise, unwilling to offend anyone. We've become spotted by the world.

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting we establish the Levitical Law in the U.S

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Make people uncomforatable. We're supposed to be the salt of the earth -salt irritates. We've been to willing to compromise, unwilling to offend anyone. We've become spotted by the world.

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting we establish the Levitical Law in the U.S
Glad to hear it! But how do you reconcile that ideal with secular democracy?

jacobweymouth

Did I, indeed?

I might as well say it, and get it out of the way (we both knew it was leading to this)...

The United States is not secular, and it is not a democracy.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Father Heathen, do you want us to take the Christian nation stuff elsewhere? I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

jacobweymouth

Then how do you explain the Establishment Clause?

That applied only to the federal government (note not the state governments until the Supreme Court made an incorrect ruling to the contrary) establishing a religion as a state religion. So in that way the federal government is secular, but it was never intended to erase religion, specifically Christianity, from the public sector.

We're getting a little off topic...

If you want to split hairs, it's a democratic republic.

It's not splitting hairs. You might as well have said monarchy.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Jacob, I'll respond once I know whether this topic is welcome in this thread. If it isn't, I'll answer elsewhere. :)

jacobweymouth

Last edited:

jacobweymouth

I don't know what americanvision.com is, to be honest, I just typed the name of the book into the search engine, and it came up first. The book itself is about 150 years old.

I assume you don't mind discussing this topic? Because I feel a little bad about the direction this thread has taken.

Last edited: