• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christians, jews and muslims argue with each other? The three religions is in reality very similar

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Why do christians, jews and muslims argue with each other? The three religions is in reality very similar

Yes! The basic, undeniable fact of all three faiths is that they believe in one God. Whether this God is called Elohim, Abba or Allah, the object of that name is the same single, all powerful, all knowing and benevolent God of all creation.

All three faiths develop their own unique interpretations of the mystery of God in their sacred scriptures, but these are interpretations of the same God. In the Hebrew Bible, the Christian Testament and the Koran, the belief in a single Creator God who loves us and commands us and saves us from sin is revealed with different aspects and different tones, but the underlying belief is the same.

We call Judaism, Christianity and Islam the Abrahamic faiths because all trace their origins to Abraham, the first man called to a specific covenant by God. This God created the Universe, gives all life its sanctity, saves us from the ensnarements of sin, and will one day send (or in the case of Christianity, send back) a savior to heal the wounds of the world.

Muslims have 99 names for Allah, each expressing a different aspect of the infinite mystery that is God. In the Hebrew Bible, God is called by three main names: El Shaddai, Elohim and Adonai (literally YHWH but pronounced adonai).

These differences in the way the single Creator God is depicted are important -- but not so important as to lead to the conclusion that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship three separate gods; it is one God viewed from three mountaintops.

Abrahamic faiths all worship the same God

www.chicagotribune.com

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why do christians, jews and muslims argue with each other?
Quite simple to answer:
They suffer from "Spiritual arrogance"

Hindu Scriptures warn us for this. It's the biggest obstacle on the Spiritual path. And even worse, it's incurable (in this lifetime)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Yes! The basic, undeniable fact of all three faiths is that they believe in one God. Whether this God is called Elohim, Abba or Allah, the object of that name is the same single, all powerful, all knowing and benevolent God of all creation.

All three faiths develop their own unique interpretations of the mystery of God in their sacred scriptures, but these are interpretations of the same God. In the Hebrew Bible, the Christian Testament and the Koran, the belief in a single Creator God who loves us and commands us and saves us from sin is revealed with different aspects and different tones, but the underlying belief is the same.

We call Judaism, Christianity and Islam the Abrahamic faiths because all trace their origins to Abraham, the first man called to a specific covenant by God. This God created the Universe, gives all life its sanctity, saves us from the ensnarements of sin, and will one day send (or in the case of Christianity, send back) a savior to heal the wounds of the world.

Muslims have 99 names for Allah, each expressing a different aspect of the infinite mystery that is God. In the Hebrew Bible, God is called by three main names: El Shaddai, Elohim and Adonai (literally YHWH but pronounced adonai).

These differences in the way the single Creator God is depicted are important -- but not so important as to lead to the conclusion that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship three separate gods; it is one God viewed from three mountaintops.

www.chicagotribune.com
Well, if it were just about god, it would be okay, but Christianity and Islam have added a messiah and prophet to the mix.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Quite simple to answer:
They suffer from "Spiritual arrogance"

Hindu Scriptures warn us for this. It's the biggest obstacle on the Spiritual path. And even worse, it's incurable (in this lifetime)

Not curable in this lifetime? Seems a bit hard to believe. I've met some extremely loving, patient, and humble folks in my life from all 3 religions.

stvdv

Not curable in this lifetime? Seems a bit hard to believe. I've met some extremely loving, patient, and humble folks in my life from all 3 religions.
You take my reply out of context, and misinterpret my post. I will explain in more detail, and then I am curious if you still disagree

I talked about those who believe in:
1)"my religion is better than yours"
2)"Your Religion is bogus etc"

That clearly is Blasphemy due to extreme arrogance

Arrogance is per definition very hard to overcome, because you already believe you are the best/perfect

BUT

Spiritual arrogance trumps this a hundred fold, when you think you are God (that you know that God won't like or God will even send the other person to Hell, because he follows a different Religion)

So, it's not harsh from my side or God's side. It's extremely harsh from the arrogant person, hence almost incrable (as per definition of arrogance²)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You take my reply out of context, and misinterpret my post. I will explain in more detail, and then I am curious if you still disagree

I talked about those who believe in:
1)"my religion is better than yours"
2)"Your Religion is bogus etc"

That clearly is Blasphemy due to extreme arrogance

Arrogance is per definition very hard to overcome, because you already believe you are the best/perfect

BUT

Spiritual arrogance trumps this a hundred fold, when you think you are God (that you know that God won't like or God will even send the other person to Hell, because he follows a different Religion)

So, it's not harsh from my side or God's side. It's extremely harsh from the arrogant person, hence almost incrable (as per definition of arrogance²)

OK, thank you for explaining. I do still disagree. It's not that I deny people like this exist. I simply don't agree that they are impervious to change.

stvdv

OK, thank you for explaining. I do still disagree. It's not that I deny people like this exist. I simply don't agree that they are impervious to change.
Thank you,

They can change in their next birth, but in this birth it's very very unlikely, at least that's what I read in a Hindu Scripture, and it makes most sense to me (as I explained)

I used to believe all people could change when they were confronted with the truth, but in the past 2 decades I came across ca. 10 people for whom it was impossible to change this type of Spititual arrogance

But, I am open to change my view, and if I meet just one person who was able to really change this behavior, I will adjust my view:)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The basic, undeniable fact of all three faiths is that they believe in one God. Whether this God is called Elohim, Abba or Allah, the object of that name is the same single, all powerful, all knowing and benevolent God of all creation.
Of course, you are assuming that the Abrahamic god exists. If this god doesn't exist, then the statement that these religions are all referring to the same god is meaningless, not right or wrong. And even if it does exist, if it is not detectable, once again, nothing said about it can be called right or wrong including whether it exists.

As far as your claim of undeniable fact goes, many believers themselves will disagree with you, calling one of these gods real and the others false.

muhammad_isa

I used to believe all people could change when they were confronted with the truth, but in the past 2 decades I came across ca. 10 people for whom it was impossible to change this type of Spititual arrogance..
Evil is very real .. the evil in ourselves and others tends to cause arrogance and division.
Jesus is either God incarnate or he is not.
The Qur'an is either true or false.

There .. nothing arrogant about those statements.
Believing the Qur'an is true causes division .. true.
Is that the fault of the people who believe it?
I would say not. :)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

www.chicagotribune.com
"Very similar" is simply not good enough when you claim (as Christians and Muslims do, less so the Jews) to have certain knowledge of Absolute Truth.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Thank you,

They can change in their next birth, but in this birth it's very very unlikely, at least that's what I read in a Hindu Scripture, and it makes most sense to me (as I explained)

I used to believe all people could change when they were confronted with the truth, but in the past 2 decades I came across ca. 10 people for whom it was impossible to change this type of Spititual arrogance

But, I am open to change my view, and if I meet just one person who was able to really change this behavior, I will adjust my view:)

Hmmmmm.... I love the challenge. Do you need to meet them in real life?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Evil is very real
If that's a synonym for human malice, then I agree. If you mean anything else, then no.
Jesus is either God incarnate or he is not.
The Qur'an is either true or false.

There .. nothing arrogant about those statements.
Yes, but they're rarely stated that way. Generally, we don't see the word "or" there.
Believing the Qur'an is true causes division .. true.
Is that the fault of the people who believe it?
I don't know who else you'd blame except maybe its writers, but what difference does it make whose fault it is?

muhammad_isa

what difference does it make whose fault it is?
It makes a lot of difference.

Is it the fault of believers .. or is it the fault of those who disbelieve?
There would be no argument if we all believed .. but we don't.

That is reality. Nothing can change that but G-d.
..but it appears that He does not wish to. He wants it to remain our "choice".
I put "choice" in inverted commas because it is more complex than say choosing
which coat to wear. :)

If I thought that it was my fault for believing, then I would not believe.
I do not like division.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it the fault of believers .. or is it the fault of those who disbelieve?
You wrote, "Believing the Qur'an is true causes division .. true. Is that the fault of the people who believe it?" It isn't the fault of humanists. It's the various faiths telling each other that their beliefs are wrong and that they worship the wrong god or their prayers aren't heard or they're going to hell. They're only unbelievers in the Qur'an. They have other religious beliefs, which can lead to division and strife.
There would be no argument if we all believed .. but we don't.
You must mean if we all believed the same religion. That wouldn't last five minutes before there was fragmentation and bickering again. However, there would be no arguments about religion if none of us had one:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! don't do it!"

"Why shouldn't I?" he said.

I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"

He said, "Like what?"

I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"

He said, "Religious."

I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"

He said, "Christian."

I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"

He said, "Baptist!"

I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"

He said, "Baptist church of God!"

I said, "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?"

He said, "Reformed Baptist church of God!"

I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"

He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!"

I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.​

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

www.chicagotribune.com
It kinda proves there is actually no communications with a god they claim they communicate with.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am open to change my view, and if I meet just one person who was able to really change this behavior, I will adjust my view

Hmmmmm.... I love the challenge. Do you need to meet them in real life?

I didnt see an answer on this. I'm supposing you needed to meet them in real life. But if not there are examples. I found two.

The challenge was finding someone who originally was exclusivist "my way or the highway" and then changed to "other paths have value". "My way or the highway" is... JWs. I love them. And loving them means accepting who they are, and this is who they are. So, I started looking for JWs who had converted out of the faith to methodism which is a group that accepts other christian denominations as valid. That's a rather big change from JW mindset. Arguably it's the opposite.

That led me to this fellow. Ex-JW elite "Special Pioneer" turned methodist clergy: Robert Crompton

After that, I started looking for Christian missionaries who maybe converted to Hinduism. Hopefully that would convince you. A missionary is certainly my-way-or-the-highway. And then converting to Hinduism is a huge change. That led me to this fellow: Verrier Elwin - Wikipedia

So that's two examples, there *must* be more. At least 3 or 4 missionaries must have traveled to India and found themselves and changed their ways.

Do you still disagree? Change isn't possible in this lifetime for those who are spiritually arrogant? Possible at least with God's help?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

The answer is so simple I did not even have to think.
They argue with each other because each of those religions believes that have the ONE TRUE RELIGION.

It does not MATTER that they believe in the same God because they do not know that.
Well, the Muslims know that but the Jews and Christians do not know that.