• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do British people vote Conservative?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They're constantly bashed as the nasty party yet people vote for them.
Probably because more left wing parties tend to be as bad or worse at governing? I do give Tony Blair high marks however. He was, overall, pretty good.

ronki23

Probably because more left wing parties tend to be as bad or worse at governing? I do give Tony Blair high marks however. He was, overall, pretty good.

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown bankrupted Britain; future generations are paying off the debt. The immigration and welfare spending also shot up under Labour. Let's not forget the Iraq war

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Tony Blair and Gordon Brown bankrupted Britain; future generations are paying off the debt. The immigration and welfare spending also shot up under Labour. Let's not forget the Iraq war
Supports my position perfectly as the two men were from the Labor and Conservative parties. It's more like pick your less smelly choice, which is why power flips back and forth with great regularity.

ronki23

If New Labour (1997-2010) was so similar to the Tory party then why did people still vote Labour/Tory respectively? Surely if New Labour was Tory then the Tory votes would go to New Labour and vice versa

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If New Labour (1997-2010) was so similar to the Tory party then why did people still vote Labour/Tory respectively? Surely if New Labour was Tory then the Tory votes would go to New Labour and vice versa
Because voters are usually in one camp or the other, period. Elections are normally won on the backs of "swing" voters and the disgruntled.

David T

Premium Member
It's baffled me all my life.
Having said that they have the backing of most of the UK press, who will vilify Labour figures. Just look at the way they are currently trying to link Corbyn with Russian spies
They are a Americans with odd accents.

Srivijaya

They're constantly bashed as the nasty party yet people vote for them.
Because 'nasty' is the preferred option for many Brits. We have increasing numbers of malnourished people being admitted to hospitals and deaths where malnourishment is a key factor. The homeless population has shot up with the response being to fine homeless people for being in parts of cities where polite society doesn't want to see them. If they can't pay the fine, they face prosecution and a criminal record. The use of food banks has increased, even among families and those in low paid jobs. Childhood poverty is a blight in many of our cities.

None of the above is a problem for a large section of voters who are of the opinion that such people deserve all they get. "I'm alright Jack!" is a large component of the British view of things, so the 'nasties' are here to stay, though even some of them are starting to struggle with their consciences when they see the effect their party's ideological direction is having on the weakest in society. Thankfully, for all nasty party voters, they are a minority and we are guaranteed years of unrelenting nastiness to come. Just what we Brits want (apparently).