• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Black men always turn to Islam in jail and not Christianity?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hundreds upon hundreds of black men i know of have come out of jail as Muslims. I can only think of 1 off the top of my head who became a born again Christian while locked up.

Even though the Nation of Islam is not seen as being a part of the real Islam, a lot of black men actually find their way to Islam via guys like Farrakhan and previously Malcolm X.

Why are black men turning to Islam in times of turmoil and not Christianity?

Why not? I've noticed a lot of white converts to Islam featured on our News over the last several years.

But let's look at it this way......... supposing that you committed a serious criminal offence and got locked up. Time was slow down or stop for you unless you had a more involved routine through your incarcerated day, and you would value the weekly episodes that could get you out of your cell.

Many folks become Christians or declare Christianity in our prisons because the religious services and routines add colour to an otherwise bland existence. Maybe Islam offers an even more varied existence? And once declared a prisoner can begin to focus more closely upon the messages of these prophets, and believe in them?

Truly Enlightened

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. You are apparently not understanding what I'm saying or something. Either way, I'm confused. :shrug:

I apologize if I am not being clear. Since I don't want to misrepresent anything that you say, can you tell me why do you think that Black men in prison ALWAYS turn to Islam instead of Christianity? Are there no Black men that turn to Christianity instead?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Close save, hats off.

What I think is sorely missing from this perspective is personal experience of Muslim people and awareness of the sheer number of Sub-Saharan African Muslims.

I require "personal experience of Muslims (which I have, from visiting the Middle East and witnessing to numerous Muslims where I live) to understand slavery?