• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Black men always turn to Islam in jail and not Christianity?

Truly Enlightened

Hundreds upon hundreds of black men i know of have come out of jail as Muslims. I can only think of 1 off the top of my head who became a born again Christian while locked up.

Even though the Nation of Islam is not seen as being a part of the real Islam, a lot of black men actually find their way to Islam via guys like Farrakhan and previously Malcolm X.

Why are black men turning to Islam in times of turmoil and not Christianity?

Why do you asks questions that assumes the fact in question to be true? I'm sure that bigots, racists, cultural separatists, or White Supremist would have no problem providing an answer to? Truth would have no objective relevance to them. Either provide objective and impartial evidence to back up your simple-minded racial/religious stereotypic claim. Or remain as just another of my culture's historical embarrassments. You like many others tend to focus only on the results, and not the underlying reasons and variables. You only deposit half-truths to infer half meanings for your own personal reasons.

Why do White prisoners convert to Christianity, rather than Buddhism, Krishna, or Islam? I wonder how many White Americans would change their religion, if the true image of Jesus were depicted in all the Christian churches? Are you comparing the conversions of Non-Black prisoners to Islam, from other prison population throughout the world? What influence does the Hip Hop Industry, or the psychological need for rules and order, play in this conversion? You really need to learn more about racial and prison cultures, As well as, comparative histories of Religions, before you make such overgeneralized truth claims.

KingSolomon

Well even 2 days ago i saw another black man who got released after doing 9 years for some drug and firearm offenses. And he had a massive beard and he even changed his first name to Abdul-Kareem and had the Qu'ran in his hand and said he was going to the mosque right then. This was a guy who grew up with strict Christian churchgoing parents.I live in the UK and at least 40 black guys that i know even in the last 2 years from memory have all become Muslim while in prison, and hundreds more over the years.

I see it in America too. Half the well known rappers became Muslim while in prison and you often hear black American men saying "Allah" instead of "God" and using Arabic language to greet each other.

I also heard many American blacks saying that Christianity is the religion of the slavemaster and they don't believe in a white Jesus so that's why they like Islam and that Islam is the real black man's religion.

Christianity may be the religion of the slavemaster but Muslims introduced slavery to Christendom

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hundreds upon hundreds of black men i know of have come out of jail as Muslims. I can only think of 1 off the top of my head who became a born again Christian while locked up.

Even though the Nation of Islam is not seen as being a part of the real Islam, a lot of black men actually find their way to Islam via guys like Farrakhan and previously Malcolm X.

Why are black men turning to Islam in times of turmoil and not Christianity?

I believe it is because the teaching is to hate white people and miscreants find that an acceptable concept. We had one come to our Bible study and he was very antagonistic at first but we just loved him and he seemed more comfortable with us the more he came.

Muffled

Jesus in me
As well as they probably grew in a Christian culture and had already decided it never worked for them.

I believe unrepentant sinners aren't real fond of Christianity but have no problem with The Nation of Islam. Is that what it is called? I don't remember.

Muffled

Jesus in me
While of course there is a massive difference in scale, there are Islamic groups in the UK who are down LGBT stuff. I knew someone in Manchester who was part of Imaan, a specifically LGBT+ Islamic organisation, who would meet for prayers and reading the Qur'an etc. The Muslim Alliance for Gender and Sexual Diversity is also active here in the UK.

I believe Muslims don't have the Holy Spirit so they are apt to fall for anything.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That's quite a dramatic sweeping statement. Can you back it up?

I've only read about two-thirds of the Qu'ran, in English, and have a Bachelor's of Religion degree, but it sounds like you are unaware of:

1) Muslim laws regarding slavery

2) I may have erred, plenty of Muslims enslaved WHITE and ASIAN people, too

Don't miss the forest (Muslim-forced slavery, the stupidity of joining Islam if you're of African heritage IMHO) for the trees (Muslims tend to believe people with Arabian features are superior to others, since Islam began in Arabia).

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Don't miss the forest (Muslim-forced slavery, the stupidity of joining Islam if you're of African heritage IMHO) for the trees (Muslims tend to believe people with Arabian features are superior to others, since Islam began in Arabia).
It's also important to note that the Muslims of today don't have slaves.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I believe in the bible, I believe that Christ is the son of God, and that he died for my sins.

However — it is a known fact that white colonizers changed the image of Jesus to white, changed the gospel, and used their false image of white Jesus to justify the murder, rape, enslavement, genocide, etc., of millions of innocent people on multiple continents.
Nah, people just have a habit of depicting their deities as looking like them. So you have African Jesus in Africa, Asian Jesus in Asia, Latino Jesus in Latin America, etc.

Kirran

Premium Member
I believe Muslims don't have the Holy Spirit so they are apt to fall for anything.

Close save, hats off.

I've only read about two-thirds of the Qu'ran, in English, and have a Bachelor's of Religion degree, but it sounds like you are unaware of:

1) Muslim laws regarding slavery

2) I may have erred, plenty of Muslims enslaved WHITE and ASIAN people, too

What I think is sorely missing from this perspective is personal experience of Muslim people and awareness of the sheer number of Sub-Saharan African Muslims.

Truly Enlightened

Nah, people just have a habit of depicting their deities as looking like them. So you have African Jesus in Africa, Asian Jesus in Asia, Latino Jesus in Latin America, etc.

So, you are saying to all the religious scholars, that their middle eastern image of Jesus is wrong? So man was not created in the image of God. God was created in the image of man. Sounds about right to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So, you are saying to all the religious scholars, that their middle eastern image of Jesus is wrong? So man was not created in the image of God. God was created in the image of man. Sounds about right to me.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that as a religion grows and reaches different areas, it absorbs some of the local culture including in its art. It's just a normal thing and has nothing to do with humans "creating" deities or whatever. The same thing happened with Buddhism. Siddhartha was Southeast Asian but is depicted as Chinese in China and so on. Both Jesus and Siddhartha were real people.

Truly Enlightened

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that as a religion grows and reaches different areas, it absorbs some of the local culture including in its art. It's just a normal thing and has nothing to do with humans "creating" deities or whatever. The same thing happened with Buddhism. Siddhartha was Southeast Asian but is depicted as Chinese in China and so on. Both Jesus and Siddhartha were real people.

Firstly, we are not talking about how man creates and assimilates deities to be a part of his culture. Secondly, there is a vast difference in changing the depiction of already established deities, and simply noting the similarities between deities from similar cultures. Finally, I have doubts, based on the conflicting evidence(i.e.., Jesus ben Pandira, or Jesus ben Strada) that neither JC or Buddha were historical figures, but will stipulate that they are perceived as such. I certainly don't belief that even if they WERE historical figures, that they WERE ever demigods, or were somehow be related directly to a God.

My point was why should the depiction of JC be culture specific, when the evidence gives a different image of the people of that time and place? If we simply creates Gods and demigods to fit our cultural image and expectations, do we also create the facts to support those beliefs as well? So again I ask, what do you think would happen to church attendance, if the image of JC was depicted in America, as Chinese, Black, Native American, South American, Japanese, or Indian? This also begs the question, as to which depictions of JC is correct, and which is false? Or, are all the depictions correct or false? Again, man creates his own gods in his own image, not in the true image of Gods or demigods. Makes perfect sense to me.

The Real Face Of Jesus - What Did Jesus Look Like?
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/314759461428579418/
What did Jesus really look like?

So to be more accurate, many Black prisoners turn to their version of Islam for personal reasons. Also, many other minorities have turned to Islam as their religion, for their own personal reasons. This I can agree with. Beyond this, I need evidence.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Firstly, we are not talking about how man creates and assimilates deities to be a part of his culture. Secondly, there is a vast difference in changing the depiction of already established deities, and simply noting the similarities between deities from similar cultures. Finally, I have doubts, based on the conflicting evidence(i.e.., Jesus ben Pandira, or Jesus ben Strada) that neither JC or Buddha were historical figures, but will stipulate that they are perceived as such. I certainly don't belief that even if they WERE historical figures, that they WERE ever demigods, or were somehow be related directly to a God.

My point was why should the depiction of JC be culture specific, when the evidence gives a different image of the people of that time and place? If we simply creates Gods and demigods to fit our cultural image and expectations, do we also create the facts to support those beliefs as well? So again I ask, what do you think would happen to church attendance, if the image of JC was depicted in America, as Chinese, Black, Native American, South American, Japanese, or Indian? This also begs the question, as to which depictions of JC is correct, and which is false? Or, are all the depictions correct or false? Again, man creates his own gods in his own image, not in the true image of Gods or demigods. Makes perfect sense to me.

The Real Face Of Jesus - What Did Jesus Look Like?
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/314759461428579418/
What did Jesus really look like?

So to be more accurate, many Black prisoners turn to their version of Islam for personal reasons. Also, many other minorities have turned to Islam as their religion, for their own personal reasons. This I can agree with. Beyond this, I need evidence.
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. You are apparently not understanding what I'm saying or something. Either way, I'm confused. :shrug: