• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do atheist believe something can come from nothing?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And how about those Catholics immediately following Galileo? Fermat, Descartes, Pascal, and Cavalieri. You wouldn't call them renaissance men?

This nonsense about the church ending the renaissance and shutting down innovation is bull ****. Shame on you for making stuff up.
"End of the Italian Renaissance
The end of the Renaissance is as imprecisely marked as its starting point. For many, the rise to power in Florence of the austere monk Girolamo Savonarola in 1497 marks the end of the city's flourishing; for others, the triumphant return of the Medici marks the beginning of the late phase in the arts called Mannerism. Savonarola rode to power on a widespread backlash over the secularism and indulgence of the Renaissance – his brief rule saw many works of art destroyed in the " Bonfire of the Vanities" in the centre of Florence. With the Medici returned to power, now as Grand Dukes of Tuscany, the counter movement in the church continued. In 1542 the Sacred Congregation of the Inquisition was formed and a few years later the Index Librorum Prohibitorum banned a wide array of Renaissance works of literature.

Just as important was the end of stability with a series of foreign invasions of Italy known as the Italian Wars that would continue for several decades. These began with the 1494 invasion by France that wreaked widespread devastation on Northern Italy and ended the independence of many of the city-states. Most damaging was the May 6, 1527, Spanish and German troops' sacking Rome that for two decades all but ended the role of the Papacy as the largest patron of Renaissance art and architecture.

While the Italian Renaissance was fading, the Northern Renaissance adopted many of its ideals and transformed its styles.

A number of Italy's greatest artists chose to emigrate. The most notable example was Leonardo da Vinci who left for France in 1516, but teams of lesser artists invited to transform the Château de Fontainebleau created the school of Fontainebleau that infused the style of the Italian Renaissance in France. From Fontainebleau, the new styles, transformed by Mannerism, brought the Renaissance to Antwerp and thence throughout Northern Europe.

This spread north was also representative of a larger trend. No longer was the Mediterranean Europe's most important trade route. In 1498 Vasco da Gama reached India, and from that date the primary route of goods from the Orient was through the Atlantic ports of Lisbon, Seville, Nantes, Bristol, and London. These areas quickly surpassed Italy in wealth and power."

Italian Renaissance

So, you are correct, I overstated my case, and for that I apologize. I do not, however, back down from my contention that the church, and a return of religious control over human choice in cultural and intellectual pursuits, played a major part, as shown above.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why? It is not possible. Paraphrasing Meister Eckhart: 'Those who know the truth know that I am telling the truth'.
By which Meister Eckhart meant, "those who think like I do will agree with me."

When I look for "truth," I want it to come with some authority beyond someone claiming to have personally heard from God, or claiming to be too wise for the rest of us to understand. I want some evidence based in the facts that surround us all.

Why, at the end of the day, would I prefer the notions of the creation of the universe and the development of all things, including living things, within it as given by the Bible, written 2000 and more years ago by people whose scientific technology consisted of the pulley, the lever and the inclined plane, over the studies through the last 500 years by hordes and hordes of educated humans with technologies that have developed all the way up the Large Hadron Collider, Artificial Intelligence and the ability to walk upon the moon?

leov

By which Meister Eckhart meant, "those who think like I do will agree with me."

When I look for "truth," I want it to come with some authority beyond someone claiming to have personally heard from God, or claiming to be too wise for the rest of us to understand. I want some evidence based in the facts that surround us all.

Why, at the end of the day, would I prefer the notions of the creation of the universe and the development of all things, including living things, within it as given by the Bible, written 2000 and more years ago by people whose scientific technology consisted of the pulley, the lever and the inclined plane, over the studies through the last 500 years by hordes and hordes of educated humans with technologies that have developed all the way up the Large Hadron Collider, Artificial Intelligence and the ability to walk upon the moon?
I am not in a camp of converting new believers, it is not my , I think that relationship with God is tête-à-tête . And ME did not mean what you wrote. He meant those who have the same experience...Science does not contradict religion unless you are a literal reader.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I am not in a camp of converting new believers, it is not my , I think that relationship with God is tête-à-tête . And ME did not mean what you wrote. He meant those who have the same experience...Science does not contradict religion unless you are a literal reader.
I assume then that you do not accept the Biblical story of creation, the Flood story, the tower of Babel story, Jesus turning water into wine, a talking snake, Jonah living in a whale, Jesus walking on water, the Sun and Moon standing still, Balaam's *** speaking to him, Jesus
resurrecting Lazarus from the dead, god changing optical physics so as to create rainbows, Jesus calming a storm by his mere words. etc., etc.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

leov

I assume then that you do not accept the Biblical story of creation, the Flood story, the tower of Babel story, Jesus turning water into wine, a talking snake, Jonah living in a whale, Jesus walking on water, the Sun and Moon standing still, Balaam's *** speaking to him, Jesus
resurrecting Lazarus from the dead, god changing optical physics so as to create rainbows, Jesus calming a storm by his mere words. etc., etc.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

I’ve said once, Bible is a theological treatise, Gnostic style. Lots of allegory.

Bob the Unbeliever

I think you are a low caliber basher from humanist- atheist group,, all BS is manifested in my opinion. There is no hate, I.e. Why would I hate anything you do?

Interesting deflection. You cannot argue my points with respect to your god.

So you go on a direct attack instead.

But. Why do you hate? I don't know-- why do you? Only someone who has some deep seated issues, would believe in a god who you actually think, creates a Custom Infinite Torture Pit for anyone who doesn't worship him?

And worse-- you believe you -- and pretty much only you -- (or people exactly like you) -- get to enjoy infinite bliss-- while you are okay with the infinite torture?

leov

Interesting deflection. You cannot argue my points with respect to your god.

So you go on a direct attack instead.

But. Why do you hate? I don't know-- why do you? Only someone who has some deep seated issues, would believe in a god who you actually think, creates a Custom Infinite Torture Pit for anyone who doesn't worship him?

And worse-- you believe you -- and pretty much only you -- (or people exactly like you) -- get to enjoy infinite bliss-- while you are okay with the infinite torture?
You do not understand “my God”.

Bob the Unbeliever

I asked you once if you were sure...I think you do not know what that means.

I was as sure as you are, that gravity will pull you down if you jump from a high place. More so than you, I expect-- I thought the bible was 100% true... and you just admitted you think it's 90% myth...

leov

Well, it doesn't fit the definition of a "treatise." Give me a sec. here and I'll look it up.

Okay:

trea·tise
/ˈtrēdis/

Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: treatise; plural noun: treatises
a written work dealing formally and systematically with a subject.

(my emphases)

So far I do not recognize what is wrong?