• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do atheist believe something can come from nothing?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Genesis is coded but says essentially the same. It is not true science book, just some hints.

Ahh, right. Its coded to say just what you want it to say?

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

It dont look coded to me, it looks very much like it says 'the earth was without form, and void;'. But i could be wrong, what is the uncoded version?

FYI
Void : completely empty.

I.e. nothing, no atoms, no light no quantum material... Nothing

Edit
BTW, the bible is not even a pretend science book

David T

Premium Member
Atheists basically follow science concerning the nature of our physical existence, therefore almost all scientists regardless of religious belief and atheist do not believe our physical existence came from 'absolute nothing' regardless of whether there is only one universe of an infinite number of universe.

It is basically 'some' theists that believe the our physical existence was Created from 'absolute nothing.' Some scientist have describe the 'Quantum World' as the nothing that universes originate from, but this is not the 'philosophical absolute nothing' of theist views.

If anything the atheists as well as many if not most scientists believe the physical existence is most likely eternal and did not come from anything.

The video is udder nonsense.
Well larry krauss did try to make a statement of physics of "out of nothing" that was panned as being garbage for good reasons. You pretty much summed it up though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We have organs of communication with spirit, many have them deeply suppressed.

You are possessed by an evil spirit we call the unconscious mind. The unconscious mind is quite happy to provide you with all the communication to the spirit world you desire.

leov

Ahh, right. Its coded to say just what you want it to say?

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

It dont look coded to me, it looks very much like it says 'the earth was without form, and void;'. But i could be wrong, what is the uncoded version?

FYI
Void : completely empty.

I.e. nothing, no atoms, no light no quantum material... Nothing

Edit
BTW, the bible is not even a pretend science book
Not really anything. Suggest to read Nachmanides, he proves using OT text, that it is not mean absolutely nothing, and Fabre d'Olivet's literal Hebrew translation saying that creation of Gen 1was in principle only, I.e. as a plan. Nachmanides basically says the same, e.g. living creatures were created as a life force future potentiality.

leov

You are possessed by an evil spirit we call the unconscious mind. The unconscious mind is quite happy to provide you with all the communication to the spirit world you desire.
Don't deal with evil spirits.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Not really anything. Suggest to read Nachmanides, he proves using OT text, that it is not mean absolutely nothing, and Fabre d'Olivet's literal Hebrew translation saying that creation of Gen 1was in principle only, I.e. as a plan. Nachmanides basically says the same, e.g. living creatures were created as a life force future potentiality.

Interesting, i am an atheist and take the bible as written. People who believe the bible use all sorts of tricks to make it mean what they want.

My suggestion if you want to know what the bible actually says is read the bible.

Nimos

The video was just meant as a joke (Not made by me) also I thought at least some knew these parodies videos there are like 100s of them, and a website for making them? Didn't think so many would take it all that serious :D

Btw im an atheist my self, before people rip me a new one for being "mean" towards atheism :)

QuestioningMind

Could this explain it? :D

An atheist is simply someone who lacks a belief in any god or gods. A belief that something comes from nothing has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.

As an atheist I personally have yet to be presented with any verifiable evidence that it's even possible for 'nothing' to exist, so I certainly don't adhere to the belief that something can come from nothing. .

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there was ever a 'nothing'. That the big bang was simply the beginning of universal expansion, but was not the beginning of all movement, matter and energy.

leov

Interesting, i am an atheist and take the bible as written. People who believe the bible use all sorts of tricks to make it mean what they want.

My suggestion if you want to know what the bible actually says is read the bible.
I am not arguing with you. You see it from literal point, for example, and from literal point of view you are correct. Nachmanides talked about 49 ways of understanding, according to spiritual standing. So, I received that I can not argue about it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am not arguing with you. You see it from literal point, for example, and from literal point of view you are correct. Nachmanides talked about 49 ways of understanding, according to spiritual standing. So, I received that I can not argue about it.

Literal is the only way to read it .what is the point of making it up? Its there in black and white