• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do all world-religions come from the East?

Brother Scott

Johannite Priest
Those do not count for me as they are offsprings of one of the major religions.

Wait. Isn't Buddhism an offspring of Hinduism? Same for Doesn't Baha'i come out of Islam? Mormonism comes out of a Christian culture, but in a lot of ways it isn't Christian, LDS is it's own thing. Scientology is wholly made up, and is gaining in popularity.

What about the Afro-Caribbean religions? They come out of the South and West. Roman Catholicism is also very Western, for all that it takes it's scriptures from the East and its rituals from the Greek Empire. The veneration of Saints is very much a Western form of Necromancy, and one finds that all the way back in the Odyssey.

The West (meaning Europe) has always had a fascination with the East. The East is where the light dawns, where Illumination comes from. The East seems much more mystical of a land than where we live. Similarly in the East, the West holds a fascination. The Mongols heard arguments from both the Buddhists (to the south) and the Christians (to the West). Christian missionaries made it all the way to China in the 7th Century, and were fairly successful.

I think it helps for a religious doctrine to come out of somewhere exotic. That's why a minor jewish preacher executed by the Romans could become a world shaking demigod to the Greeks: exotic!

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Then Jesus must cover Europe as I'm quite sure we never got any (other) prophet.

Jesus peace be upon him was sent to the Israelites, not to Europe. and Europe was mostly christian until islam reached Spain, Turkey, and the Balkan countries.

Muslims believe that Muhamed was the Last Prophet peace and blessings be upon him. Many non-muslims also believe that he spoke the truth of being a prophet and the Qur'an being from God and not a copy of the previous scriptures, meaning it has a divine origin.

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Simple, when the roman empire took over the known world they imposed a stat religion as part of their control, that religion was Christianity (thanks Constantine...) because of that most of the pagan religions died in Europe. As for the rest of the world. Religions from everywhere else in the world don't send out missionaries to convert people by coercion or force.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Taoism, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i Faith - none of these originated in the West, the South, or the North.
Is there any scientific theory to axplain why all major religions come form the East?
Because that's where the people came from. :)

9harmony

Taoism, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i Faith - none of these originated in the West, the South, or the North.
Is there any scientific theory to axplain why all major religions come form the East?

Here is a presentation I put together in 2007 which addresses my understanding. :angel2:

I think its fair to say that while these religions spread they often incorporated aspects of religions native to the people they took over which goes some way to explaining the diveristy within the major religions.

It may also be that they simply had more appeal or that they were pushed on people with extreme zeal that refusing to adopt them wasn't an option.

Duck

Those do not count for me as they are offsprings of one of the major religions.
The question is: Why did such refined philosophies not develope elswhere?
I'm not absolutely sure, but my impression is that the pagan traditions of, as an example, the Romans or Greeks are far less complex than those of the Egyptians or Hindus and mainly concerned with earthly matters.

Why didn't such refined philosophies develop elsewhere? Mostly because the followers of one of those "refined philosophies" burned any evidence of the development of "refined philosophies" present in those places that hadn't developed immunity to small pox as they looted the temples of artifacts devoted to a different philosophy, enslaved the populace (the ones that survived small pox epidemics anyway) and generally destroyed any cultures that didn't adhere to their "refined philosophy" while proclaiming their deities' love for all.