• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do “Black Lives Matter”?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Why are you a sadist?

I am not convinced that lives do always matter?
That is at more than a personal level.

Fewer lives might be better.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You are aware that this is in discussion and not debate.

Black lives matter to me as a white person, because:
It doesn't matter what color our skin have.
It matter because that the effects of colonialism, imperialism and the list goes on are still with us today.
In a sense I have an advantage from birth because where I was born and how I look, that has nothing to do with being a human as a human.

Shaul

Premium Member
Because they are people and deserve the same respect and treatment than other humans. Unfortunately, they have been victimised and dehumanised to a high degree.
Couldn’t you say this about innumerable groups of people?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Couldn’t you say this about innumerable groups of people?
Some groups: Native Americans, women, LGBT folk are subject to systemic discrimination. Blacks in the US are uniquely subject to it since slavery was abolished and continuing today.

BLM is a way of saying that blacks are part of the self-evident truth that all are created equal but the culture treats them as inferior in so many ways from slavery on.

It's saying "all lives matter and its time that blacks became an equal part of 'all'.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Let’s see where this goes.

I'm not sure I understand your question or point. But of course black lives matter. Of course all lives matter. It's obvious that those who feel it's important to say "black lives matter", say so because they believe those lives matter less to some. So it really means "black lives matter too." Maybe the latter phrase wouldn't cause as much concern over words.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
All human lives matter. But it seems that some people need to be reminded of that fact when it comes to black lives.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Let’s see where this goes.

My position is generally no lives matter. Out of the about 50 million people who die each year, how many matter to you?

I have no problem with BLM. If they can improve the lot of Black folks, good for them.

But people get born, live a while and then die. Mostly without notice to the rest of the world. Death comes to us all and it really doesn't care about the color of your skin. My life and death will not matter to most of the people in the world.