• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't the Universe Always Exist?

David Davidovich

Why didn't the universe always exist? Because since God is supposed to be outside of time and is supposed to have always existed, then how could God have used a point in time to start creation? Any thoughts on this?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why didn't the universe always exist? Because since God is supposed to be outside of time and is supposed to have always existed, then how could God have used a point in time to start creation? Any thoughts on this?

Because...

I know of 32 hypothesis of how the universe possibly began. Each one is either based on observable phenomena and extrapolated back to pre BB or on mathematics using the same criteria.

No god needed.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We don't know whether the universe always existed. There are some compelling hypothesis but there is no theory (though some hypothesis are misnamed theories).
If time, space and matter were created at the same time, there is no "before" the Big Bang. And "always" is at every time. The universe always existed in that case.
If there was time before the Big Bang, the energy of the universe could still have existed, either as an eternal singularity or in a previous universe. Our known universe would then be a different state or instantiation.
The eternal singularity has seemingly the same problem as your question. It arises from the unintuitive nature of infinities. Why is there a zero if there are infinite negative numbers?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IF a person claims/knows "the world always existed/exists" THEN this person always existed/exists

Viker

Häxan
In one form or another, all that is the universe has always been. This present form, too, will pass away. But the stuff that makes it will always be around. Maybe for another universe later. A God or creator isn't necessary for the process but I don't exclude the possibility either.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This out of time description is pretty vague. It really dosent mean anything, as nothing is out of time.

I'd prefer out of a time frame maybe. That would make more sense.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Scripture is not conclusive, depending upon whose scripture you use, about whether the universe didn't always exist; so your question could be moot.

As for God: God is outside time and therefore could not have always existed, since 'Always' is a time word. Instead time exists inside of God, God being transcendent.

RestlessSoul

Time and space are perceived characteristics of the universe we temporarily inhabit; beyond it there may be no before, no after, and no always. No point in time from which it all began. Indeed, even in our current paradigm, there is no fixed point in time, no universal Now.

exchemist

Veteran Member
From the viewpoint of science, we don't know. The evidence from astronomical observation points to an expansion from a very small size, possibly even a singularity, i.e. a mathematical point, some 14bn years ago. But that is based on extrapolation back in time, which is the best we can do. Whether there was anything before that is an unanswerable question.

Many religions have the idea of creation by a god, implying there was either nothing before this creative act - or else chaos from which it was created by the god imposing order on the chaos.

The idea of imposing order is quite nice to a scientist, since what seems to drive the evolution of processes in the universe is a certain predictable and ordered pattern of rules of behaviour, captured in what we can the laws of nature.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The universe is an appearance in God. God is immutable. The universe has a beginning and an end and is in constant change.

In this response, God is synonymous with Brahman.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Because...

I know of 32 hypothesis of how the universe possibly began. Each one is either based on observable phenomena and extrapolated back to pre BB or on mathematics using the same criteria.

No god needed.

In each of these hypotheses, would the universe still exist in the absence of a being to experience it?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think you have a great point but an error also. Yes, God is outside of time and always existed but the universe didn't. It had a beginning time by the simple logic that if it is expanding, reverse the time backwards and you find a beginning point.

ChristineM

Premium Member
In each of these hypotheses, would the universe still exist in the absence of a being to experience it?

There is no reason why the universe requires a being, as far as we know. Certainly i have never heard of a hypothesis that can show, using either mathematics or extrapolation from observable data that, that god did it

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Abrahamic discussion of this subject matter seems to tend to revolve around variations of "god is the necessary uncreated creator who exists outside of both existence and time".

Myself, I find that notion remarkably pointless. Nothing more than an exercise at intentional obfuscation aiming to appease certain anxieties and the aesthetical demands that come with them.

In a nutshell: there are people who want very badly to believe that existence is a deliberate project by a conscious entity. It is not a matter of facts of reality, but of emotional need instead.

I don't know that it even makes any sense to speak of "creation of existence". The very idea is more than a bit self-contradictory.

RestlessSoul

There seems no way to answer this question, without taking a leap of faith in one direction or another.

I choose to believe that objective mind-independent reality does exist, but is ultimately unknowable to anything but itself, in it’s totality.

As for our subjective experience of that reality, I often run with a theory cobbled together from Descartes, Kant, and the Pareto Principle, whereby 80% is in the mind, and the other 20% is external but insistent.

When I went for a swim this morning, I do not think the water was dependent on me for it’s existence. There was the water and there was me, before we came together, though I have no rational method to justify this belief. My experience of it, meanwhile, was 80% my perception and 20% pretty damn cold in anybody’s language.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no reason why the universe requires a being, as far as we know. Certainly i have never heard of a hypothesis that can show, using either mathematics or extrapolation from observable data that, that god did it

I made no implication that any god did anything. I was asking if the universe would still exist in the absence of an experiencer.

RestlessSoul

I know of no hypothesis that is not a conscious construct. Therefore there is no method by which we can confirm the existence of the universe which does not require the input of consciousness.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know of no hypothesis that is not a conscious construct. Therefore there is no method by which we can confirm the existence of the universe which does not require the input of consciousness.

Yup, that hypothesis for ya. Constructed by real people with conscious.

And when did consciousness arise?