• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't the Holy Spirit Know?

rrobs

Speaking about his second coming, Jesus said,

"But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matt 24:36.
I understand Trinitarians say that it was the "man part" of Jesus that didn't know the day and hour. Scripturally, it's not the best argument given that there are no verses that mention a "man part" of Jesus.

But we'll assume Jesus had a God part as well as a man part. But why doesn't the third person of the trinity know the day and hour? Is he also part God and part man?

Terry Sampson

There's a rule that says that the bush has to know everything the One in the fire knows or that the One in the fire has to tell the bush everything that the One in the fire knows? Gee,... where's that rule posted?
  • Exodus 3:1. "Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. 3 Then Moses said, “I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.” 4 When the Lord saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” 5 Then he said, “Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” 6 He said further, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God."

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

"But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matt 24:36.
I understand Trinitarians say that it was the "man part" of Jesus that didn't know the day and hour. Scripturally, it's not the best argument given that there are no verses that mention a "man part" of Jesus.

But we'll assume Jesus had a God part as well as a man part. But why doesn't the third person of the trinity know the day and hour? Is he also part God and part man?
You're asking a literalist question. From the Christian perspective, there can be a different answer rather than taking the quote literally.

What would be the impact 2000 years ago if Jesus had said "you can relax for 2050 years because that's when the second coming would occur"?

The psychological perspective is that when people are alert to something that might happen at any moment, their thoughts, words and deeds will reflect their effort to be ready.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I always assumed the spirit does know. Many people with the spirit are aware of future events. Revelations explains the entire rapture but does not reveal the date. GOD does not want the date revealed, so the spirit is not allowed to reveal it. The spirit could reveal the date if God allowed it.

74x12

God isn't a trinity. The holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father. Of course the Spirit knew.

Matthew 10:20

For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

rrobs

You're asking a literalist question. From the Christian perspective, there can be a different answer rather than taking the quote literally.

What would be the impact 2000 years ago if Jesus had said "you can relax for 2050 years because that's when the second coming would occur"?

The psychological perspective is that when people are alert to something that might happen at any moment, their thoughts, words and deeds will reflect their effort to be ready.
God reveals Himself through words. If not taken as it simply says (5th grade reading level), how many different ways could it be taken? What would we have left if every individual could come up with their own reasoning?

rrobs

I always assumed the spirit does know. Many people with the spirit are aware of future events. Revelations explains the entire rapture but does not reveal the date. GOD does not want the date revealed, so the spirit is not allowed to reveal it. The spirit could reveal the date if God allowed it.
So the Father rules over the other members of the trinity? That hardly paints a picture of three equal beings in one.

rrobs

God isn't a trinity. The holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father. Of course the Spirit knew.

Matthew 10:20

For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
Yes. As far as I understand it, the Jews and the early Christians understood the holy spirit to be the power of God in operation. I think it fits with God giving us His spirit. That is the only way we can carry out Jesus' directive that we could do the same works he did. Like Jesus, we too can manifest the power of God through that spirit.

rrobs

The father is all other members. Separate but the same.
Something being separate but the same requires the complete abandonment of word meanings. When used with their usual meaning, separate and same are the antithesis of each other.

Iymus

Because even though three are said to bear witness in heaven; only the will and authority of one is done with all others being One in Agreement.

Joh 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Joh 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Act 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
Act 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Act 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
Joh 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Something being separate but the same requires the complete abandonment of word meanings. When used with their usual meaning, separate and same are the antithesis of each other.

Christ never said he didnt know. He said only the father knows. Christ then implies that at the end of your life you will be judged and revelations implies there are many people in heaven already judged. The date doesn't have to be revealed your life is judged at its end.

rrobs

Christ never said he didnt know. He said only the father knows. Christ then implies that at the end of your life you will be judged and revelations implies there are many people in heaven already judged. The date doesn't have to be revealed your life is judged at its end.
I think you are taking a very straight forward declaration and twisting it beyond recognition. But that is the hallmark of the trinity. It twists words to suit an impossible assertion.

By the way, assuming you are Christian, you don't have to wait for judgment. You have already been judged through the work of Jesus and found to be righteous, as righteous as God Himself to be specific.

Rom 3:22,

Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
No need to worry about your eventual end. Jesus has already prepared a place for you. It'll be just fine.

Iymus

:rolleyes:
:oops:
Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

1Ti 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I think you are taking a very straight forward declaration and twisting it beyond recognition. But that is the hallmark of the trinity. It twists words to suit an impossible assertion.

By the way, assuming you are Christian, you don't have to wait for judgment. You have already been judged through the work of Jesus and found to be righteous, as righteous as God Himself to be specific.

Rom 3:22,

Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
No need to worry about your eventual end. Jesus has already prepared a place for you. It'll be just fine.

I am christian but I don't believe the the Trinity, I was taught it and understand the concept but I believe Jesus was Human and separate from God. I also don't worry about my eventual end and prefer not to live on everlastingly.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
:rolleyes:
:oops:
Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

1Ti 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Who is the son? Jesus never claimed to be the son of God.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
(John 17:1-5)

Good-Ole-Rebel

I thought we all were Son's and Daughters of God and that God was all our Father. I believe Jesus also gave us the prayer that starts Our Father. I believe several other prophets referred to god our Father. Its common. The only thing Jesus sort of agreed to was that he was the Messiah which according to scripture would be a decedent of David. Many prophets of the past did amazing miracles and none of them were a personal decedent of God. When did Jesus state he was a decedent of God and not man.