• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why didn't Jesus write a Gospel?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why, if people before year 0 already knew?
I did not suggest that all people before the year zero knew, but as today, there are few who do. Those few who do help show the way to others to find what is available to them all the time. How many find that is a small number. How many Buddha's do you know? There are many, but that many is a small number compared to those who are still asleep.

ruffen

I did not suggest that all people before the year zero knew, but as today, there are few who do. Those few who do help show the way to others to find what is available to them all the time. How many find that is a small number. How many Buddha's do you know? There are many, but that many is a small number compared to those who are still asleep.

If the purpose of Jesus was to spread knowledge and wisdom about something that people really should know, and still "there are few who do", then that sounds like a failure to me.

If the difference between the level of knowledge wasn't very big before vs after Jesus, then Jesus wasn't an effective way for God to achieve his goal. If the difference is big, it's grossly unfair to those not fortunate enough to live in the time or region where they had access to this.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the purpose of Jesus was to spread knowledge and wisdom about something that people really should know, and still "there are few who do", then that sounds like a failure to me.
Of who? The teacher or the students? Do you blame everyone else but yourself for your shortcomings?

And I never said they "should know" it. That's your words you curiously supplied. What I mean is that it's something we all already are, but are too caught up in our own selves to see it. That fault is ours. When it finally happens, when the light bulb goes off, the first response is "it was there the whole time, and I just couldn't see it!". All that teachers of Wisdom can do, is to point you to it. But you have to open your eyes and ears to apprehend it. They cannot give it to you. You already have it. But my original point was these "teachers" did not begin in the year zero. And then like today, it's few who 'get it'. It's not the teacher's fault. But the student's preparedness to receive.

If the difference between the level of knowledge wasn't very big before vs after Jesus, then Jesus wasn't an effective way for God to achieve his goal.
Aside from the fact that his teachings created a massive social and cultural sweep that ended up becoming the State religion of Rome and spread through the entire West, lasting up until today that it affected the world you live in? Aside from that he wasn't very effective, you mean?

If the difference is big, it's grossly unfair to those not fortunate enough to live in the time or region where they had access to this.
I'll put it this way, I believe the message is the same throughout the ages, but how it is communicated is within relative cultural frameworks. There are many voices living 'locally' to your own time who are likewise able to speak of it in your language and time. But as in all ages, not all are ready to receive them, not to the fault of the teachers.

Didn't Jesus teach of the sower of the seeds, how that some fell on hard ground and died, some fell into the thorns and was choked out, and some fell on good soil and took root and grew? The sower of seeds casts them to the wind like in nature which is indiscriminate. Where it falls and either grows and dies out is the responsibility of the one whose soil and ground it is. If you never tend to your garden, it's not the seed manufacturer's fault the seeds don't grow. It's yours.

Last edited:

ruffen

If God is omnipotent and created me imperfect enough to have faults, then ultimately my faults are God's faults.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the teacher and the studens were both designed and created by the same God, then yes, that creator is at fault.
If you have sufficient enough understanding to make this declaration, then you apparently have everything you need to know, and God is to be praised for giving you this insight since God is responsible for everything. Right?

outhouse

Atheistically
. When it finally happens, when the light bulb goes off, the first response is "it was there the whole time, and I just couldn't see it!".

Your promoting what looks to be mythology, and nothing more.

If you know something that pertains to the possible literacy of Jesus, please share.

So far yout way off topic.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If God placed Jesus on Earth, and Jesus had important words for mankind to hear, why didn't Jesus write his own account of what God wants us to do and prophecies etc.?

Why have Jesus say the words verbally, and then have apostles write it with the risk that someone along the line would mess it up?

Was the son of God illiterate? That's not very impressive.

<sigh> :rolleyes: :facepalm:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

If He did, this thread would be titled; Did Jesus really write the Gospel of Jesus?

(I've been in enough debates with atheists to know it never ends)

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your promoting what looks to be mythology, and nothing more.
Then you firstly don't know what mythology is to refer to it as that, and secondly you have never had any 'ah hah' moments in your life, no moments of the light bulb going off in your head to understand what those words mean. Some people's light bulbs never turn on, and words such as these sound like fiction to them and they criticize others to deflect from that fact.

If you know something that pertains to the possible literacy of Jesus, please share.

So far yout way off topic.
I have shared several things, and this is all pertaining to the surrounding points Ruffen was challenging relating to that. Are you are moderator now? God help us all. :facepalm:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God is omnipotent and created me imperfect enough to have faults, then ultimately my faults are God's faults.
Or they're not faults at all but part of growth. There are a lot of "ifs" and assumptions in your statement. Have you ever examined them as a valid starting point for your line of reasoning? If not, all subsequent arguments are a house of cards.

ruffen

If He did, this thread would be titled; Did Jesus really write the Gospel of Jesus?

(I've been in enough debates with atheists to know it never ends)

This is true, but he didn't even try. And a man who turned water into wine and walked after his death, should be able to somehow authenticate his work.