• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why didn't Jesus write a Gospel?

InChrist

Free4ever
If God placed Jesus on Earth, and Jesus had important words for mankind to hear, why didn't Jesus write his own account of what God wants us to do and prophecies etc.?

Why have Jesus say the words verbally, and then have apostles write it with the risk that someone along the line would mess it up?

Was the son of God illiterate? That's not very impressive.

The gospels were written by others because their purpose was to be a testimony of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the promised Savior of the world. According to the scriptures Jesus was literate. It is recorded that Jesus went throughout Galilee teaching in the synagogues and in Luke 4...

So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
If God placed Jesus on Earth, and Jesus had important words for mankind to hear, why didn't Jesus write his own account of what God wants us to do and prophecies etc.?

Why have Jesus say the words verbally, and then have apostles write it with the risk that someone along the line would mess it up?

No. it's not.

Anything you've read to suggest otherwise?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The gospels were written by others because their purpose was to be a testimony of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the promised Savior of the world. According to the scriptures Jesus was literate. It is recorded that Jesus went throughout Galilee teaching in the synagogues and in Luke 4...

[/I]

And they utterly failed to do so.

When Jesus was born Mary was alone; so they could not witness.

Jesus spent only three years in Judea; so for the rest of his life they could not witness the events.

Jesus did not die on the Cross; so they are ignorant as to how and where Jesus died.

The anonymous scribes for all the above were among the most ignorant about Jesus; yet they preferred to write about Jesus without any valid authority from Jesus to write.

Regards

Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it was due to the fact that the Holy Spirit would be given which is bette than a book. However I believe the books were written after the Holy Spirit was given so in effect He could have a hand in the writing including the letters of Paul.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I believe it was due to the fact that the Holy Spirit would be given which is bette than a book. However I believe the books were written after the Holy Spirit was given so in effect He could have a hand in the writing including the letters of Paul.

What Paul (Saul) had to do with the Holy Spirit?

Paul persecuted followers of Jesus and tried to kill them:
“In the book of Acts, the Saul is introduced rather dramatically. After Stephen delivers a prophetic speech in Acts 7, he is seized by an angry crowd, taken outside the city and stoned. This is not a legal action, it is a lynching! Saul “approved” of this execution (Acts 8:1). Whether Saul was a “legal representative” of the Sanhedrin is unclear, but the verb can be used for legal approval (1 Mac 1:57). Saul is described as “ravaging the church” (λυμαίνω, Acts 8:3), a word which is used of violent actions in war (Josephus, JW 4.534). What was it about Stephen’s speech that pushed Saul to such a violent response?”

“It is probably best to see Saul opposing the Apostolic teaching as heretical. That Jesus was the Messiah was absurd, since he was crucified, “hung on a tree,” and therefore a curse, not salvation. Saul’s motivation is to correct this false teaching within Judaism, using the synagogue punishment system itself. He likely sees himself as a reformer, working for the high priest, with the goal of dealing sharply with the followers of a condemned Rabbi.”

Why did Saul Persecute the Jewish Christians? | Reading Acts

It is very clear that this cannot be the work of a friend of the holy spirit; rather the opposite of the holy spirit worked with Paul.

Regards

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

I dunno. Do you?

Again, i do not know. Perhaps those that actually composed the initial accounting's were self-interested? Maybe, they had another agenda of ascendant power and influence to impose amongst the unread and easily terrified two thousand years ago?

Are you really questioning the origins of Santa now?

He sees you when you are sleeping and awake you know...

...and that is not creepy at all...

ruffen

I dunno. Do you?

Again, i do not know. Perhaps those that actually composed the initial accounting's were self-interested? Maybe, they had another agenda of ascendant power and influence to impose amongst the unread and easily terrified two thousand years ago?

Are you really questioning the origins of Santa now?

He sees you when you are sleeping and awake you know...

...and that is not creepy at all...

Actually, I'm an atheist. I've wondered about this, how religious people and historians view this matter, why not a single written word of Jesus exists.

It is my opinion that the cause is simply that Jesus did not exist. But there are many interesting and fruitful answers in this thread.

If Jesus thought that written words are not important and that the Holy Ghost or somehing like that would make his teachings obvious, then it's paradoxical that many people today use the written words in the Bible as their theological guide. It's obvious that the "presence" of the Holy Ghost is not enough to convince people.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Actually, I'm an atheist. I've wondered about this, how religious people and historians view this matter, why not a single written word of Jesus exists.

It is my opinion that the cause is simply that Jesus did not exist. But there are many interesting and fruitful answers in this thread.

If Jesus thought that written words are not important and that the Holy Ghost or somehing like that would make his teachings obvious, then it's paradoxical that many people today use the written words in the Bible as their theological guide. It's obvious that the "presence" of the Holy Ghost is not enough to convince people.

Basically, Jesus had Scribe(s). This would have been common for Teachers with a following. The aspect you might be missing here as well, is that many or most Christians view Jesus as Deific, in my position, I view Him as God. The 'man' aspect of Jesus was a manner in which God could incarnate as 'one of us', basically. So, the 'man' Jesus is not the primary import of belief here, Jesus the God is, hence the unnecessary reliance on details of His personal life here among us. It is part of the teachings, part of the religion, but ultimately we worship A God named Jesus/JHVH, not the part man form that walked among us. We can worship the man form, but it is 'going to' the Deity aspect.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Basically, Jesus had Scribe(s). This would have been common for Teachers with a following. The aspect you might be missing here as well, is that many or most Christians view Jesus as Deific, in my position, I view Him as God. The 'man' aspect of Jesus was a manner in which God could incarnate as 'one of us', basically. So, the 'man' Jesus is not the primary import of belief here, Jesus the God is, hence the unnecessary reliance on details of His personal life here among us. It is part of the teachings, part of the religion, but ultimately we worship A God named Jesus/JHVH, not the part man form that walked among us. We can worship the man form, but it is 'going to' the Deity aspect.

If one considers Jesus a god; that makes one an idolater. Jesus was not an idolater.

Regards

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think this is the point at which the difference between Jesus and Christ should be clarified. ;)

Hmm well, 'Christ' in Christian meaning is not really as man oriented as it seems in say, Judaism concepts of Christ. In Christianity for instance, the 'salvation' already occurred for believers.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You didn't read what I wrote? Jesus the man was part man, Jesus the God is all God. There is no idolatry going on, it's straight monotheistic worship.

Jesus was not a mix-breed or a cross-breed.

Was he?

Please let him remain a human being as he himself said that he was son of man or son of Adam.

Regards

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Was he?

Please let him remain a human being as he himself said that he was son of man or son of Adam.

Regards

That means He was human, like us, except, in part. The Son of God, and Son of Man, are the physical descriptors of Jesus in man form, think about it, that's why He is referred to as both man and God. Since Jesus was the "reflection" of God, we know that it was God who incarnated through Mary in order to be among us. When Jesus the man says, "My Father", He is referring to His higher self, the creator, but when not human, He is God. Hence 'The Son is the Father', Worship the Son, worship the Father etc. The confusion arises when people try to fit Jesus as man only, or separate entity, from the Father, and they can't reconcile the Titles because of that false belief.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That means He was human, like us, except, in part. The Son of God, and Son of Man, are the physical descriptors of Jesus in man form, think about it, that's why He is referred to as both man and God. Since Jesus was the "reflection" of God, we know that it was God who incarnated through Mary in order to be among us. When Jesus the man says, "My Father", He is referring to His higher self, the creator, but when not human, He is God. Hence 'The Son is the Father', Worship the Son, worship the Father etc. The confusion arises when people try to fit Jesus as man only, or separate entity, from the Father, and they can't reconcile the Titles because of that false belief.

Was he? Please

Regards