• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you leave Christianity?

For all the ex-Christians on here, I'm curious as to why you left your religion. This is, by no means, meant to attack Christians for their beliefs. I'm just curious, that's all.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I'll be straight with you.

The theology of it? Didn't mind it. The idea of who God was through Jesus? We could only hope to be so lucky.

But that isn't what Mainstream Christianity is about, is it? Mainstream Christianity became a political statement. It became an excuse, a weapon. Power became corrupt, privileges were tested and brought out the worst. I hated the heirarchy. I hated the dialogue that became to take on the name of the Christian faith.

I didn't turn away from God, in whatever form He is in.

I turned away from what Christianity became.

DavidFirth

I'll be straight with you.

The theology of it? Didn't mind it. The idea of who God was through Jesus? We could only hope to be so lucky.

But that isn't what Mainstream Christianity is about, is it? Mainstream Christianity became a political statement. It became an excuse, a weapon. Power became corrupt, privileges were tested and brought out the worst. I hated the heirarchy. I hated the dialogue that became to take on the name of the Christian faith.

I didn't turn away from God, in whatever form He is in.

I turned away from what Christianity became.

But why did you turn away from Jesus Himself?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The church wouldn't answer questions that I had, and I was basically told "shut up and believe." So I sought answers for myself, and became disillusioned with the whole organization. That Jesus and Yahweh remained silent about the whole affair spoke the loudest to me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure how accurate it would be to say I am one. My folks attempted to raise me in that tradition for a few years early in life (I left before age 10) and it never stuck. The reasons why I left back then were those you might expect for a child. It pretty much boiled down to two things.

One, it's a terrible idea to make a child with attention-deficit disorder attend church services. I was bored out of my mind and hated it. I especially hated it because one of my parents didn't have to be subjected to it and stayed home every Sunday. Why did I have to go when they didn't? It wasn't fair, and I wanted to stay home too. Eventually I won that argument.

Two, Christianity just lacked genre appeal. The mythology did not resonate. Not the stories, not the setting/era, and not the characters. On top of that, I tended to find the stories dumb and illogical. I could not comprehend why anyone would bother with the Bible when there were things like natural science and sci-fi/fantasy.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I left because I find the theology a laughable nonsense, the morals ridiculous and oppressive and the history disgusting. It does not resonate with me anymore and I don't want anything to do with it.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
For all the ex-Christians on here, I'm curious as to why you left your religion. This is, by no means, meant to attack Christians for their beliefs. I'm just curious, that's all.
My thoughts are that once God can be disproven theologically/philosophically, I don't know, it kind of unravels.

The above video makes me think this way.

DavidFirth

I see flaws in the logic in that video. The conclusions do make sense if you believe all the premises to be true. I do not believe all of her premises are true.

VioletVortex

I'm not sure that I'd consider myself an ex-christian, but I did call myself a Christian for about two days, essentially a very short hiatus from Satanism. I began feeling uncomfortable with it by day two, and that night, I said just "**** this" because I didn't feel rift in doing the unchristianly things I enjoyed doing. I didn't want to adhere to any philosophy that made me feel guilty about my underlying personal life code.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I became a Baha'i 27 years ago. Prior to that, I had been attending the Baptist Church. The major issue I had at the time was the exclusive claims made by Christians about the Christian Faith. Other issues I have now are, the view that Jesus is God incarnate and that He literally rose from the dead and ascended into the physical sky to be with His father in Heaven. There are a few others besides but many of my beliefs are similar to Christians.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The theology and cosmology don't make sense to me.