• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did You Chose Your Form Of Religion?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I love the Druid religion. The strong emphasis on nature, the philosiphies, and I feel at peace when I am very deep into a forest. Also, I love the night alot. I really don't like the term "chose" for me being Nocturnal. I strongly believe I was born that way. The Druid religion I like, and I have even developed a white center on my aura since I started following it more closly, and I was born a night person.
I am proof that anyone can change, it just takes more than words. Before I turned from Christianity, the day I was baptised, at the age of 15, was the best day in my life, now I think of it as "And to think I thought I would never change when I went through that." Which my love of the night was already showing when I was baptised. I think I did mainly because I thought demons were plagueing my life, and finally being baptised would drive the darkness from my life. Ironically, I started turning to darkness just after my baptism, until I got to where I am today.

Bishadi

Sure wish I knew other than to say most recognized religions are shallow. By living a life studying the religions I can share that there is a lot missing. Well the Eastern group has much to offer in spiritual ‘knowing’ almost Gnostic if compared, but for the most part I personally can’t claim any single sect. They all have specifics that I call funny.

The simplicity of just knowing that everything affects everything is humbling. Physics does have credibility to allowing an understanding of just how little we are and that all things affect all things. That is scientific fact!

But as a puppy there was only one rule, read and make determinations. In the beginning it was a selfish, rebellious pursuit but learning many views taught me that to eliminate all self needs or desires a realization becomes like a “born again” experience, the whole world opened up so I can’t say I chose a path of religious belief, I simply live it.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I suppose it should go without saying, but for the record, atheism is not a religion.

Clarification noted, I don't know that I would say that I "chose" to be an atheist. Atheism is a classified nomenclatural description of reasoned non-acceptance regarding the claims of supernatural cause/effect explanations of natural/observable phenomena. Atheism is not a result of some "eenie-meeny-miney-moe"..."choice" of preferable happy options.

Atheism alludes to my personalized perspective, but does not (inherently) define (nor does it seek to define) what I "believe" or accept as reasonable or acceptable explanation(s) of an existential existence.

Atheism is (primarily, in simplest terms) the resultant qualified outcome derived from deductive reasoning. This logic is rarely (if ever) satisfying to those seeking absolute surety/certainty beyond any (and all) doubt(s).

Pre-dating, amidst, and presently surpassing any nagging "mid-life crisis" in confronting the (at present) inevitable mortality of my own existence, I can satisfy myself in the notion that in the grand scheme of things, I was in fact, non-existent for all previous encompassing cosmological time (with evident indifference as to both time's passage and my all-too-brief current presence within), and that ensuing and inevitable non-existence is not all that frightening (or ultimately consequential) prospect to contemplate or accept. I have no recollection of non-existence. I dare say that I will have no perception of it (for either good or ill) when I return to elemental star dust.

It's probably fair to say that I have never (within the ream of functionally adult cognizance) sought any external reason/rationale for my current existence, so I have never felt obligated to "choose" [from] a religious/mythological/superstitious/supernaturally attributed/assigned/proscribed "reason" or "purpose" for a personal existence.

Interestingly, the existent cosmos (even within the limits of a momentary finite and mortal existence) is personal motivation enough to establish and resolve oneself to one's own reasons for extracting as much wonder and awe of/from existence (within such), as time and circumstance may allow.

Others are welcome to wrestle with the age-old question of "Why do bad things happen to good people?".

I'm satisfied with the notion that "sh!t happens" (for no reason at all). It's not the most emotionally comforting perspective...but it is liberating.

The inexorable turning of the blades of the unfeeling cosmologically air-exchanging rotary ocillator continue unabated, no matter what form of flung feces inevitably interacts upon it's consequentiallty random dispensations of untoward rebounds, or insignificantly unfortunate recipients therefrom.

"No gods, no masters."

Just...imagine.

I know I can...

...and that suits me just fine.

Reactions: Ody

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
.......because courage and honor, family and community, industriousness, and purpose are important. I like the mythology. I like the worldview. It works...

Ody

Please actually try to give a detailed answer 0.0
Thank you for a good post s2a Karma for ye :D

Bangbang

I am a Mormon today because I thought it would be cool to have multiple wives. I know...I know....but there must be a branch of Mormons that still practices this....Right?

Reactions: Ody

Bangbang

Bangbang said:
I am a Mormon today because I thought it would be cool to have multiple wives. I know...I know....but there must be a branch of Mormons that still practices this....Right?
Better than a Bump Alan.:biglaugh:

s2a

Darkdale said:
.......because courage and honor, family and community, industriousness, and purpose are important.
I concur that such traits and priorities are both noble and essential (in part to determine one's own purpose).

I simply maintain that supernaturalistic beliefs are not requisite in either establishing personal direction, or realizing one's own mortal lifetime potential.

It's probably fair to say that every major religion's primary reason to "be", is to provide a (or "THE") "reason to be". Religion, superstition, myth, and supernaturalism typically lend their own brand of "answers" to the question of "Why (do I) exist?" Theoretically, the lent answers to the first question help shape and define the answer to the follow-up question(s), "What can/should I now do (or perhaps not do) within that knowledge of 'why'?"

Reason for existence.
Purpose within existence.

Such are the designations/definitions/assignations offered for intellectual/emotional consideration of/by acceptance of religion (and other existential philosophies predicated upon supernaturalistic explanations). Some folks have these reasons ingrained into their thinking from childhood. Others "search" for a religion/"belief system" (in adulthood) that best suits their own perceptual sensibilities/proclivities/priorities, hoping to eventually discover that "perfect match" (kinda like single's dating). REF is replete with postings of members attesting to just such a "search".

-----------------------------------------

"The cylons were created by man.
They rebelled.
And they have a plan
."

...or...

"God created man.
Man's purpose is to worship God, and to serve His will.
God rewards those that piously worship Him and serve Him (and punishes those that do not)
"

Reason for existence. Purpose in that existence. Simple. Straightforward. To the point. Now go do as you're told.

If that's good enough for you, then that's fine with me, but...

...I just wish to re-emphasize that one can satifactorily establish a "reason" for existence (even if that reason is indeterminable, unknowable, or unquantifiable); and actually define and pursue a self-determinate "purpose" within that existence...with neither need nor want of supernaturalistic "answers".

And therein lies the most liberating aspect of an atheistic perspective...atheists devote (nor squander) neither time nor effort "in search of" an (or THE) "Ultimate TRUTH".

Facts ultimately make (or reveal) "truths" as to be evident in and of themselves. And manifest truths derived of facts provide the most inspiring revelations of all, within this, a mortal existence (and getting laid on a frequent basis helps ;-)).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
s2a said:
And therein lies the most liberating aspect of an atheistic perspective...atheists devote (nor squander) neither time nor effort "in search of" an (or THE) "Ultimate TRUTH".
This sounds more like a confession... so you admit that you don't look for truth? Or is there a definition of "Ultimate TRUTH" that I am missing?

I was raised Christian, but could never reconcile some of the inconsistencies taught by the Church. I believe the universe is too beautiful to be an accident, so I sought truth. After 20-plus years of searching, I have concluded that there is only one God, and Muhammed is his messenger.

Bishadi

s2a --- on first post … yo … that’s good stuff but like all history we can still pick up a thing or 2 from the “history” books. Great for more IDEAS!! :> man …. do I enjoy thinkers

Facts ultimately make (or reveal) "truths" as to be evident in and of themselves. And manifest truths derived of facts provide the most inspiring revelations of all, within this, a mortal existence (and getting laid on a frequent basis helps ;-)).

A real one, a true seeker, you take a peak at what was mentioned earlier and you will change the scope of world views from biological origin to everything but “why”.

What is being said is to question all disciplines and allow your inset to establish, even without reasoning, that there is one true method of understanding and even though it is not recognized, soon it will be and all, and I mean all, will come together.

For example a question covering both biology and theological prophecy, (which does exist and all know a taste of it; dejavu) was asked that goes like this; IN theology when “u know who” returns to us as written, our fathers are to be raised to the flesh. And without too much trouble the answer was easy, since our “life” is a resonance/emr upon molecules, and our seed, is the summary of our coupled genetic code (mom and dad made us), when we copulate to make the next, our being is in fact existing within our children, so in essence we are all living with our fathers alive within us all, right now, in the flesh. They will rise once we know there existence and to honor them is to realize that we do in fact exist as one!

Ody

*shameless bump* People please follow s2a's example of a detailed response...

Ezzedean

I was born a muslim and always called myself one, but I never really new why until very recently. Over the past two years I have been experiencing what is called Jihad.. a.k.a Struggle. I have been questioning my beliefs and have been working hard at trying to understand the purpose of life for myself, and for the rest of us. I believe that if you do more good than bad, you should have no worries, and shouldn't grieve. I believe that Mohammed (PBUH) was a prophet of God, the same God which revealed himself to Moses (PBUH) and created Jesus (PBUH). I believe that repentance is the most thereputic thing a human can do (in my opinion) and when Islam stresses the Forgivness of God, and the Mercy of God when you repent, it is something that I can relate to because I have done it so many times, and I have felt that forgiveness in my heart.

Allah accepts the repentance of those
who do wrong in ignorance, and repent
soon afterwards, to them will God turn
in mercy, For Allah is full of knowledge
and wisdom.

I am not a perfect Muslim, but this does not mean that I am going to hell. I love how God revealed in the Quran his understanding of the people who follow the Prophets sent before Mohammed (PBUH).

Those who believe in the Quran
And those who follow the Jewish scriptures
And the Christians and the Sabians
And believe in God and the Last Day,
And work righteousness,
Shall have their reward
With their Lord; on them
Shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

This is only one of the many examples where God makes mention to the fact that there will still be many who believe in Him, but not in the Quran or Mohammed (PBUH), but again it's my belief that Mohammed (PBUH) was a prophet of God that makes me a Muslim. I know I might be rambling, but when I read about how God explains the human being so well in so many ways by telling us what is in our hearts and how he explains not just the Good in the human being, but also the Bad and hypocrisy that runs through our hearts, and just how the human being functions in general, it amazes me because it is something I have seen with my own eyes. Some may read verses which speak of the person whom is lost and is like being one with a veil on their hearts and over their eyes as a verse coming from a non-loving God, but I certainly do not. Just because God knows the human being, and describes the human being to us in a way for us to see the difference between Good and Bad, it does not mean he does not love us... I am fascniated with the Love we have for God, the devotion we have to God and Patience that is taught through Gods words in the Quran. It is these sorts of things I get from Islam, and why I am a muslim.

note: I understand that there is love for God or any other spiritual being within your respective texts, but it is mine which I believe is true and which I speak of in my writings, but in no way does this mean I don't respect all of your beliefs and morals which come from your scriptures and deities.

Peace and Blessings.
Ezzedean Fadel

Reactions: s2a

s2a

Oh look! A heckler from the cheap seats effectively embarrasses himself by means of ineffectual rhetorical question/observation!

How cute (but kinda sad).

adj. rhetorical (question): "a rhetorical question is one asked solely to produce an effect (especially to make an assertion) rather than to elicit a reply".
- Source: WordNet ® 2.0

NetDoc offered/inquired:
This sounds more like a confession... so you admit that you don't look for truth? Or is there a definition of "Ultimate TRUTH" that I am missing?
Typically, I would ignore the sideline baiting of troll-ish inanities such as these; but as you have invited my special attentions, and seek to draw specific regrettable attention to yourself in so doing...

In selective parsimony (adoption of the simplest assumption in the formulation of a theory, or in the interpretation of data/words), a sentence of mine was quoted absent complete context:

"And therein lies the most liberating aspect of an atheistic perspective...atheists devote (nor squander) neither time nor effort "in search of" an (or THE) "Ultimate TRUTH".
Well geez, could there be any ensuing linked qualification of that statement? Why...yes. Within the very next two sentences that followed...

"Facts ultimately make (or reveal) "truths" as to be evident in and of themselves. And manifest truths derived of facts provide the most inspiring revelations of all, within this, a mortal existence (and getting laid on a frequent basis helps ;-)).
Wow. What could any reasoning person infer from that summary statement?
1) A confession of disinterest in facts that may support an estimable truth? Nope. That would just be stupid.
2) That facts help establish verifiability and validity of a claimed "truth"? Yep. That's one proper assumption.
3) That claims of (existentialist) "truth(s)" that are absent/lacking credible/verifiable (or otherwise unsupported) facts are generally unworthy of an atheist's time, consideration, or pursuit? Correct again.

I wonder if I have alluded to this sentiment before in REF...oh, now I remember! In my very first introductory post to REF...
...in which I said:
"I am not "searching" for a "reason", or "purpose" [of existence], or any existential "truths" (most especially...yours).
I am confident, self-assured, and unfailingly skeptical of all claims that seek to assign or impose (for my "benefit") any such assignations. Save your (virtual) breath, and spare me your personalized "insights" that you deem to be in my best interests."

I confess that I meant what I said, and have not deviated since.

Or is there a definition of "Ultimate TRUTH" that I am missing?
More like a case of deliberate intellectual evasion, I would say. Few adults would wonder at the implied meaning of a claimed (or conceptual) "ultimate truth". Do you require cut and pasted definitions of the two words separately in order to comprehend the two as conjoined into a singular concept?

Geez, I wonder what the definition of the phrase "World Peace" might be? Can't seem to find one in any dictionary. What could it mean...I dunno...maybe...Peace in the World? Who could figure that one out lacking a dictionary definition?

[To be fair, an example is provided by The American Heritage Dictionary - in contextually defining the meaning of "ultimate", as:
"Fundamental; elemental: an ultimate truth".
You know, as in being - "furthest or highest in degree or order; utmost or extreme". Sheesh.]

As you are a self-professed Christian, I will illustrate Biblical inferences/claims of "ultimate truth" (in case you missed them).

Isaiah 65:16 -
"Whoever invokes a blessing in the land will do so by the God of truth; he who takes an oath in the land will swear by the God of truth."

1 Samuel 15:29 -
"He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."

Deuteronomy 32:4 -
"He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."

Hmmm.

"THE God of truth"; "does not lie"; "perfect"; "NO wrong"; "all".

Daniel has a vision, and is visited by "one who looked like a man" (whose description sounds like an angel, be Daniel addresses as "my Lord") is informed by the visitor that it (he?) "will tell you what is written in the Book of Truth."

"THE Book of Truth." Which book do you suppose is claimed as such, and is there a suggestion that others are extant?

God says to Moses in Exodus 9:13-15 that:
"I will send the full force of my plagues against you...so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth."

I would tender that as an "ultimate" claim.

Isaiah 40:28 -
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."

No doubt. Part of the problem for some...

In John 17, Jesus prays to God, and says:
"...Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him..."

Speaking on behalf of His disciples, He entreats:
"For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them...Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."

Jesus doesn't seem to be equivocating much there, or here...

John 14:6 -
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Does not Jesus claim to be THE "Ultimate Truth"?

Or, are you missing something...

...like contributing something of value/interest to the topic at hand, instead of just trolling from the sidelines?