• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did You Chose Your Form Of Religion?

Ody

I wanted to make a good first thread so here it goes.... :eek:

O.K. Then I don't know if I am opening a can of worms here.. But why did you chose your religion or lack thereof? After all in our lives we always have the ability to chose our forms of thought and worship. Why does your religion of non religion appeal to you? How does it fit into your logic? Has your religious views been affected by your parents or environment? How can your religion or lack thereof be considered logical?

I know its a very generalizing question, but I thought it would be a great way to understand others viewpoints on the matter. Please do not debase or mock others religious views, and most importantly do not put other forms of worship down. And stay away from explicitives :rolleyes:

Thanks and post pls :D
@Alan@

Apologies if my post is riddled with typos, headaches do that to me :p
I'll post my reason for accepting judaism later...

Reactions: s2a

Aqualung

Tasty
It was the most logical. Later, I learned (through personal revalation) that it was true, but that wasn't the initial reason.

Ody

I forgot to post it in the first place... but detail is good and encouraged :)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
it came from much study and meditation and prayer
ultimately i found much in the Jewish faith that fit into my own personal perspectives on G-d, morality and the role of man in this world.

Bangbang

I was raised a Baptist when I was a small child and can remember cryingmyself to sleep thinkin about my family and I burning in hell for three days prior to goin to heaven. Ughh! I was later involved in the Protestant Faith in an Episcolain Church. I was baptised at 14 years and an Alter Boy. During my early 20's I was introduced to Jehovahs Witnesses and was very impressed with their servace and bible studies. I was eventaully baptisesand later became a Ministerial Servant. After 7 years I walked out of the KingdomHall and never returned. about 25 years passed before I began another serious search for the Truth and I am now an agnostic leaning heavily towards athiesm. I am now reading the Bible again but with a different mind set. I no longer believe in a all powerful loving god that I had known in the past. I actually think the Abrahamic God is discusting and cruel. However I do keep an open mind so I can continue tolearn new things. Christianity has away of numbing the mind...preventing new growth.

Ody

Bangbang said:
I After 7 years I walked out of the KingdomHall and never returned. about 205 years passed before I began another serious search for the Truth Christianity has away of numbing the mind...preventing new growth.
205 years?:149: Btw shy away from putting down other religions

Ðanisty

AlanGurvey said:
205 years?:149: Btw shy away from putting down other religions
Wait a sec. You asked for details on how we arrived at our current religion. If Bangbang feels that the Abrahamic God is cruel and disgusting, I certainly think that's a relevant detail! I agree with him and if you're going to tell me that I must refrain from calling God cruel and disgusting then everyone else here must refrain from saying such things about Lucifer as well! I can just imagine how well that's going to go over.

Ody

I wasn't going after him because he thought the higher being of abhramic religions is cruel...

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
For 48 years I was a 'sheep' and followed what I was told to believe. But this place, and my wife have opened my eyes up to what I believe is the truth. I am now following my own path, learning every day. Reading what others state, and forming my own opinion. I believe the world was created by something, a 'God', but no longer believe him/her/it to be as most see him.

Ðanisty

AlanGurvey said:
I wasn't going after him because he thought the higher being of abhramic religions is cruel...
Then what exactly are you offended by? The fact that he feels Christianity stunts spiritual growth? Again, that would be the reason he left.

Ody

HE should have posted the word spiritual then :)
I interpreted him as saying that christianity was a religion that fights against progress in general, which would be putting down christianity :D

Bangbang

The origianal poster asked why we came to the Religion we practice and I just gave my answer. I am not attacking anyones beliefs. If ya want to believe in Mother Goose that is your business.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
My religion has no form :)

LOOK at it but you cannot see it!
Its name is Formless.

Listen to it but you cannot hear it!
Its name is Soundless.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grasp it but you cannot get it!
Its name is Incorporeal.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These three attributes are unfathomable;
Therefore they fuse into one.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its upper side is not bright:
Its under side not dim.
Continually the Unnameable moves on,
Until it retums beyond the realm of things.
We call it the formless Form, the imageless Image.
We call it the indefinable and unimaginable.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Confront it and you do not see its face!
Follow it and you do not see its back!
Yet, equipped with this timeless Tao,
You can harness present realities.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To know the origins is initiation into the Tao. [/font]

Bangbang

Ðanisty said:
Then what exactly are you offended by? The fact that he feels Christianity stunts spiritual growth? Again, that would be the reason he left.
Good point.....seems that Alan can't handle our reasons for our beliefs. So why did he ask?

Ody

AlanGurvey said:
HE should have posted the word spiritual then :)
I interpreted him as saying that christianity was a religion that fights against progress in general, which would be putting down christianity :D
This refutes ya arguement, lol to lazy to post again :jiggy:

Ody

I wasn't raised Jewish i chose it because in modern judaism..

A.)Everyone who is good goes to heaven
B.)it Affirms My belief in a higher diety
C.) It helps affirm my beliefs in divine providence
D.) it affirms my belief is that there is a logical and thinking G-d
E.) the parts that make g-d illogical (certain aspects of the torah) i make up for in my partial reconstructionist beliefs

My Mother was Jewish, but she didn't raise me such, i was basically raised to be a deist, don't really expect a great detailed reply for me, the advil hasn't kicked in yet:p