• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did the Gods of Veda fight with one another and what for?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Gods of Veda are in peace, now, and hence needed no more. Right? Please
Thread open to all human beings.

Regards

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The gods don't always get along and there have been battles between even them and the asuras. The gods are not perfect beings. They have flaws and desires just like human beings do.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
They will always fight. There are many warrior types and all have strong personalities. Fights are inevitable.
I take it to mean that we will always have battles, not just with our peers but with ourselves. But that's just my personal view.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It should be acknowledged that the Devas are not very similar to either the idealized, often compartimentalized conceptions of God that Christians and Muslims tend to have nor to the scriptural portrait of a supposed creator God that exist in the Bible and the Qur'an.

Nor is their role in Hinduism all that similar to that of God in the Abrahamic Monotheisms, either.

Those are important facts that ought to receive a lot more respect and attention than they usually do.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why did the Gods of Veda fight with one another and what for?
  1. Fighting by gods among themselves can never be appreciated and is unreasonable. Right? Please
  2. To implore such imperfect Gods is appreciating their actions and spoiling one's own character and spreading in the humanity at large and is also unreasonable.Right? Please
  3. We don't see any such fights among Gods as of now. Do we? Please
  4. So either they have achieved perfection and have become peaceful, it is reasonable Right? Please.
  5. Or since they were fighting, and ultimately the result of fights with animosity injures the other or in some or many cases the opponents die and if both injure each other severely then some times both could die, to think it is also reasonable.
Please correct me if I am wrong with reasonable arguments.
I don't think Buddha mentioned any such fighting Gods. It is said commonly that Buddha did not believe in God. So why should he believe in Gods and more so the fighting Gods. It is not reasonable.
If Buddha did believe in such fighting Gods then please quote from him.
Buddhism people could believe such things by interpreting something from Buddha incorrectly from a lone verse here and there but definitely there is no mention of such fighting Gods by Buddha as frequently as we find in the Veda believers.
Right? Please
Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think Buddha mentioned any such fighting Gods. It is said commonly that Buddha did not believe in God. So why should he believe in Gods and more so the fighting Gods. It is not reasonable.
The Buddha was plenty aware of many Hindu beliefs. Whether he believed in them is an entirely separate matter; he would still be able and more than likely willing to discuss the ideas that those beliefs illustrated.

As a matter of fact, that is how he earned many of his listeners.

If Buddha did believe in such fighting Gods then please quote from him.
Sorry, Paarsurrey, but I have decided not to encourage this attitude of yours. It is your homework, not anyone else's. You make the claim, you support it.
Buddhism people could believe such things by interpreting something from Buddha incorrectly from a lone verse here and there but definitely there is no mention of such fighting Gods by Buddha as frequently as we find in the Veda believers.
Why would you - or anyone - ever believe such a thing?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why did the Gods of Veda fight with one another ?

220px-Story_of_Vritra.jpg

King of deities kills the vritrasura with a thunderbolt

"In the early Vedic religion, Vritra (Sanskrit: वृत्र, vṛtra, lit. 'enveloper') is a serpent or dragon, the personification of drought and adversary of Indra. In Hinduism, Vritra is identified as an Asura. Vritra was also known in the Vedas as Ahi (Sanskrit: अहि ahi, lit. 'snake'). He appears as a dragon blocking the course of the rivers and is heroically slain by Indra.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vritra
The Vedic Gods did fight with one another and one could kill any one among them. Right?
Regards

Last edited:

von bek

Are you saying Vritra is a Vedic god? I am not so sure about that; but, perhaps to some he is a god. From what I know of Vritra, he sounds more like the Python that Apollo slew. In other words, a monster from the Earth that represents more chaotic forces in the universe. Apollo, as a god of order, subdues this chaotic force. Vritra had caused a drought, bringing misery to the world, Indra destroyed him. Being a rain god, Indra would have a deep interest in conquering drought. Indra also represents a more orderly force of power in contrast to the chaos of Vritra.

Do you see that in a polytheistic system, there is not one will that runs everything? Order and chaos, the various forces of nature, and the aspects of the human mind are manifold. These powers will sometimes be in harmony, sometimes in conflict. There is an incredibly different religious paradigm at work here, in contrast to a monotheistic view of the universe.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

"In the early Vedic religion, Vritra (Sanskrit: वृत्र, vṛtra, lit. 'enveloper') is a serpent or dragon, the personification of drought and adversary of Indra. In Hinduism, Vritra is identified as an Asura. Vritra was also known in the Vedas as Ahi (Sanskrit: अहि ahi, lit. 'snake'). He appears as a dragon blocking the course of the rivers and is heroically slain by Indra.[1]"

The Vedic Gods did fight with one another and one could kill any one among them. Right?
Regards
Vritra isn't a god. Try again.

Satyamavejayanti

Gods of Veda are in peace, now, and hence needed no more. Right? Please
Thread open to all human beings.

Regards

Namaste,

In the Samhita, there are some instances where Devas have wars or battles with Asura, but am not sure where you get the idea that the Devo have battles with Devo?
If you can provide a quote of a Mantra it would be appreciated.

Satyamavejayanti

"paarsurrey, post: 4880716, member: 37462"

Kindly give definition of God/s from Veda. Please don't quote from a dictionary or lexicon.
Regards

Namaste,

Can you please provide a quote of a Mantra from the Vedas (please don't quote orientalists or indologists) where Devtas are at battle or have a War with other Devtas?

I honestly would like to know, maybe i have missed something.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Regards
Umm, why is a serpent demon a god?

Is Satan and his fallen angels considered gods? Not every non-human celestial being, spirit, or nymph in Hinduism is a god.

Edit:- In Hinduism Gods are called Devas (cognate with Latin Deus i.e. God-s). In ancient Veda-s, all powerful celestial beings were called Asura-s (Asur as in Assyria; quite literally the mighty ones..good or bad). The good Asura-s were called Devas (Deus), the shining ones and they were protectors of the created order (Rita...cognate with ritual) and Adityas (sons of the Unbounded..i.e. unfettered by desires and sin). The bad Asuras were simply called Asuras or often Daitya-s (fettered..bounded by desires and passions). Later, the good Asura-s were simply called Deva-s and the bad Asura-s simply called Asura-s. Hindu-s have always worshiped the gods, i.e. Deva-s i.e. Deus.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Kindly give definition of God/s from Veda. Please don't quote from a dictionary or lexicon.
Regards
Gods from Vedas are gods. How do you define a god?
Go on tell me.

Indra is the god of rain and thunder. Vrita is a dragon, sometimes translated as a serpent and in later iterations is translated as being a demon. Often these attributes are combined. But Vrita is no more a Vedic god (to my knowledge) than Satan is a god.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Regards

Paar, the quote you provided identifies Vrita as an 'Asura'. Asuras are demons, or enemies of the gods. They themselves are powerful beings but are not gods.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paar, the quote you provided identifies Vrita as an 'Asura'. Asuras are demons, or enemies of the gods. They themselves are powerful beings but are not gods.

Who created them and for what? Do they really exist? If yes, where ? Please
Regards

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Who created them and for what? Do they really exist? If yes, where ? Please
Regards

If they literally exist, then they were apparently originally good and eventually became evil. Whether or not they are real, they and the gods represent the power struggle between good vs evil. But good always wins.