• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did some prominent republicans betray their party?

Deo Vindice

Why did John McCain, George W. Bush (2nd best president), and others become liberal and betray Trump/The Republican Party/America?

Anthem

Why did John McCain, George W. Bush (2nd best president), and others become liberal and betray Trump/The Republican Party/America?
Betray trump?
download-61.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Trump's a complete outsider to the Republicans. McCain is one of the Republicans who was betrayed by his party, as he watched it slide increasingly Right and increasingly fueled by religious bigotry and demands. McCain wasn't Liberal, but he realized the importance of open communication, working with those across the isle, and putting personal baggage behind for the better of the country. Many Democrats could even learn by his example.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You have that backwards.
Indeed. McCain was one of the few who stood against the mob mentality hyper partisanship that has consumed the Republican party. He was one of the only Republicans that the Republican party has ran for president who could make at least a decent one in a long time.
And it's sad, that a characteristic of McCain that praised by both sides is something they all should be doing but few are. To put aside party politics for the better of the country. It's something we should expect of all our politicians, but things are so bad now that I don't thing they will even begin to improve for several elections. If they have a wise strategy, they pretty much ignore Trump and run extremely hard for Congressional seats, harder than Obama ever did, especially in any-and-all seats that may even remotely flip. If Trump gets a second term it won't matter if Democrats have a strong control in Congress, and on that election the stakes are higher for Congress seats anyways.
And tragically, I do suspect the Democrats are going to over-focus on defeating Trump and neglect Congressional races and further lose when Republicans get to redistrict again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Indeed. McCain was one of the few who stood against the mob mentality hyper partisanship that has consumed the Republican party. He was one of the only Republicans that the Republican party has ran for president who could make at least a decent one in a long time.
And it's sad, that a characteristic of McCain that praised by both sides is something they all should be doing but few are. To put aside party politics for the better of the country. It's something we should expect of all our politicians, but things are so bad now that I don't thing they will even begin to improve for several elections.
And tragically, I do suspect the Democrats are going to over-focus on defeating Trump and neglect Congressional races and further lose when Republicans get to redistrict again.

The Republicans have always been a bit socially conservative, but over the last 20 years and at an ever increasing rate they have become increasingly intolerant and anti-science. They have become the party of the intolerant and cannot work with the Democrats like they used to. The two parties used to work together, but not they just work against each other and to me it appears to be more of a Republican problem than a Democratic one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Republicans have always been a bit socially conservative, but over the last 20 years and at an ever increasing rate they have become increasingly intolerant and anti-science. They have become the party of the intolerant and cannot work with the Democrats like they used to. The two parties used to work together, but not they just work against each other and to me it appears to be more of a Republican problem than a Democratic one.
The way Republicans today are, in how many like to attach the Southern Democrats of past decades to the modern Democratic party, maybe we should all start insisting that Republicans do support climate change and preserving the EPA and national parks, because they gave us the EPA and national parks, and be loud enough about it that it drowns out the anti-environment madness.