• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did people join ISIS?

ronki23

It doesn't represent Islam (that's what most Muslims say) and it restricts freedoms. Not to mention they murder people.

Why did so many people pledge allegiance 2014-2018?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Because they were promising an islamic caliphate across the middle east and i believe they were close

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The world has been in increasing turmoil for quite some time. People are going crazy and looking for something that promises stability. Fanaticism of every kind promises certainty and stability. And in the middle-east, the history of the injustices during colonial rule are still fresh in people's minds.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Because they felt the world did not accommodate them and they are angry and bitter. They want to belong and be part of a group with a mission.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It doesn't represent Islam (that's what most Muslims say) and it restricts freedoms. Not to mention they murder people.

It’s an interesting question,there are possibly 2 billion followers of Islam,there are many sects too so who truly represents Islam?,according to this Hadith Muhammad thought this:

My ummah will divide into 73 sects, all of them will be in the Fire except for one, and that is the Jamā’ah.” It was said, “And who are they, O Allah’s Messenger?” He (salallāhu ‘alaihi wasallam) responded, “That which I and my Companions are upon today.”[1]

So if ISIS are like Muhammad and his companions they are representative of islam,if not they aren’t.

I have no idea why so many joined Isis or why anyone would choose to live in an Islamic state.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Like many extreme Islamic movements in recent history they believe that there is an invasion of Western interests, ideas, evangelism of Christian missionaries, and occupation in some cases by Western Christian armies. This tribal turf war over Palestine with Western countries supporting Zionism. This is in many ways true.

Also the corrupt oil rich countries lead to rebellion and the accusation is they are Western influenced and partners with Western Christian interests, This is true.

On the other Judaism, Christianity and Islam are ancient tribal religions with conflict and wars going back thousands of years, and yes the Torah, Bible, and Quran can be interpreted to justify the tribal turf wars for each tribal religion to justify their claims to the turf war.

Last edited:

Nimos

They would probably disagree with you, that they do not represent true Islam :) The interpret the Quran to say these things and most likely in their eyes those Muslims that doesn't agree with them are not true Muslims, hence the fact that they also blow these up as well.

Its not really easy to settle on what or who is right, when people can or will interpret the writings in whatever way they see fit.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose the reasons may vary, I would consider the level of poverty, government oppression, and the fact that there already had been war and civil war for years prior. Those might be factors. If one joins a faction and they win, then one would be in a rather fortunate position.

I sometimes wonder the same about people who join gangs, although they also seem to come about through poverty and oppression as well.