• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did Paul Get Precedence Above the Disciples

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why is there a crazy notion that the disciples were only sent to the Jews; when Jesus said go forth spreading the good news and Paul was sent to the gentiles? Didn't Thomas go to India?

Last edited:

pearl

Why is there a crazy notion that the disciples were only sent to the Jews; when Jesus said go forth spreading the good news and Paul was sent to the gentiles?

That Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles was decided at the so-called Jerusalem Council. Peter disagreed. Interestingly, I think every time both Paul and Peter are mentioned together, Peter's name is always first.

shmogie

That Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles was decided at the so-called Jerusalem Council. Peter disagreed. Interestingly, I think every time both Paul and Peter are mentioned together, Peter's name is always first.
Peter disagreed ? Cite book and verse please.

leov

Why is there a crazy notion that the disciples were only sent to the Jews; when Jesus said go forth spreading the good news and Paul was sent to the gentiles? Didn't Thomas go to India?

Do we really know that it was Thomas? Paul is the message.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I watched a documentary about Thomas. I think he went to the synogogues in India, and what I have seen and heard about it meshes well with Mark 16 which says that the 12 successfully preach the gospel throughout the world. The twelve go and preach throughout all the world, but that doesn't include the gentiles. They ignore gentiles although the gospel is for the benefit of gentiles. So the 'World' in that case is the world of the Jews. Paul then is at first doing the same thing, trying to get other Jews into his wagon and can't get them on board. He then stops doing that and decides to go directly as an apostle to gentiles, starting from scratch.

Unfortunately all we have are some of his letters and have to reconstruct whatever the basics were. He would say things in his letters like "You already know what I taught...and do I have come over there and teach it, again to you toddlers?" We don't have whatever that was that he originally taught them. I would guess he taught them basic Judaism of some sort. They also all depended on the synagogues and would there to be taught things, so we do have an idea of what those basics were. We just don't have them in Paul's words.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
and why do you suppose Paul's counsel became more important than that of the council's?

isn't it easy to give up control? it's my understanding that jerusalem was left to James? who will save us from Paul?

and what did James say that only one book is attributed to him?

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

have christian's become fascinated with the shadows?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I watched a documentary about Thomas. I think he went to the synogogues in India, and what I have seen and heard about it meshes well with Mark 16 which says that the 12 successfully preach the gospel throughout the world. The twelve go and preach throughout all the world, but that doesn't include the gentiles. They ignore gentiles although the gospel is for the benefit of gentiles. So the 'World' in that case is the world of the Jews. Paul then is at first doing the same thing, trying to get other Jews into his wagon and can't get them on board. He then stops doing that and decides to go directly as an apostle to gentiles, starting from scratch.

Unfortunately all we have are some of his letters and have to reconstruct whatever the basics were. He would say things in his letters like "You already know what I taught...and do I have come over there and teach it, again to you toddlers?" We don't have whatever that was that he originally taught them. I would guess he taught them basic Judaism of some sort. They also all depended on the synagogues and would there to be taught things, so we do have an idea of what those basics were. We just don't have them in Paul's words.

a jew is not necessarily one by birth but could become one by adoption.

jacob's was a change in state of mind that brought him in alignment, favor with god.

he wrestled with the issue.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think so ;)
If I was still a Christian, I would say Paul followed a false Christ. He believed when the instructions were not to believe anybody that he was Christ, until the second return.

Matthew 24:23

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

shmogie

No, your conclusions, are very erroneous.

The Messiah was for the Jews, initially.

Once the Christ was resurrected instructions were then given by Him to preach the Gospel to the whole world, literally in the Koine Greek, the entire world, not Jews in the world.

Very early Christians were allowed to meet in the synagogues, and there were parts where Gentiles could enter.

The earliest Church Fathers, who studied under the Apostles, Polycarp, Iraneus, preached to Gentiles, one was a Gentile.

Paul taught the Gospel, exactly what the other Apostles taught. Everything Paul wrote was in support of the
Gospels, there are no mysteries to be found in his writings.

Thomas by tradition was martyred in India, it certainly could be true.

The effort to split Paul from the rest of the Apostles is absurd. He was accepted by them as an Apostle. He and Peter disagreed, at first on ,the mission to the Gentiles, yet they came to agreement very quickly, and Peter admitted that he had been wrong.

Peter was in charge of the Roman church, the church, not some kind of synagogue which is the word an exclusively Jewish congregation would use.