• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Jesus talk about hades in Luke 16:19-31?

Tzephanyahu

Hi @Frank Goad

New Isn't hades Greek mythology?

Hades is the Greek word used for the original Hebrew "Sheol". This has been erroneously translated as "the grave" in many Bibles.

Sheol is the realm of the dead, where all the dead depart to ahead of Judgment Day. This is the realm that the Messiah was talking about.

Here is a short poem about Sheol which might explain it a bit more, by Poet of Ephraim...

"
The womb of the earth awaits those who sleep,
Pulling us into recesses of our deserved keep.
Enveloped by darkness or tormented with shame,
Or resting in great peace with those of good name.
But once there we can't leave in any direction,
As chasms and angels serve as the protection.
And there we'll all wait until time's at its end,
To be spat out corrupted or gloriously born again.

Inspired by Luke 16:19-31, 2 Esdras 7:75-101, 1 Enoch 22
Poet of Ephraim"

I hope that helps.
Peace

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What language was the New Testament written in?

The one I read was in English. ;)

ETA: I did look it up after reading your post and learned something new today. I had no idea. I just assumed since childhood it was written in Latin. No idea why.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Christianity started out by syncretising various beliefs and philosophies.
In my opinion.

They did not get the belief in Hades by syncretising anything as it comes from the Old Testament and was believed by the Jews and still is as far as I know.
What else do you think they syncretised?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Holy days.

Yes the number of holy days has grown but that did not start initially. When Christianity became more of a political force the holy days even turned into holidays.
Initially the preaching was happening and Christians were learning to live with each other in the New Covenant and the New Testament was written, which did not have any syncretism as far as I know. It all came from the life of Jesus and what was written in the New Testament and the teaching that was passed down to us because of the Holy Spirit who inspired the writers of the New Testament and gave them remembrance of what Jesus did and said.

danieldemol

Premium Member
They did not get the belief in Hades by syncretising anything as it comes from the Old Testament and was believed by the Jews and still is as far as I know.
What else do you think they syncretised?
Can you find the word Hades in the Old Testament?