• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Israeli Jews support South African apartheid?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel–South_Africa_relations said:
"...Israel privately began to cultivate relations with South Africa in secret. This approach was similar to many Western nations at the time. While Israelis were uncomfortable with apartheid on moral grounds, politicians saw the development of mutually beneficial commercial and military ties with South Africa as realpolitik attitude that Israel was too isolated to be selective about partners in trade and arms deals...."

"...Most African states had fully broken ties after the 1973 Yom Kippur War, and Israel increased its cultivation of ties with the similarly isolated government in Pretoria. Israeli ties and trade with South Africa became more extensive. According to Ethan A. Nadelmann, the relationship developed because many African countries broke diplomatic ties with Israel during the 1970s following Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza during the Arab–Israeli wars, causing Israel to deepen relations with other isolated countries...."
That's what I found in Wikipedia.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think the major part of the mutual interest/support derived from the old international realpolitik principle of "The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend." South Africa and Israel shared interests in maintaining their security in a time of international pressure on both nations, and there were resources and expertise that each could trade with the other while advancing their security interests.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do believe that at one time the U.S. at least indirectly supported apartheid too. Different countries had a "come to Jesus" if I may use that phrase, at different times. Eventually a wrong was corrected.

David T

Premium Member
I am curious of those of the Jewish faith who understand the effects of colonialism could support this atrocity. Now of course I went to a Jewish source to explain and although eloquently explain several other sources explain otherwise.

Why Israel supported South Africa's apartheid regime
What do smart people believe dumb stuff? A smart person is incapable in Any capacity to answer that by the nature of the question..

As an idiot I actually qualify. I already answered your question in the earlier statement.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

I am curious of those of the Jewish faith who understand the effects of colonialism could support this atrocity.
You are wondering why a country (I don't equate people with governments) supported the subjugation of "inferior" humans? Have you READ what goes on in Israel?

It's not like Israel fought tooth and nail to maintain apartheid in South Africa.
They were too busy bombing the hell out of the citizens/inhabitants they didn't like in their own country.

Eventually a wrong was corrected.
I still await when it's fully corrected.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You are wondering why a country (I don't equate people with governments) supported the subjugation of "inferior" humans? Have you READ what goes on in Israel?

They were too busy bombing the hell out of the citizens/inhabitants they didn't like in their own country.

I still await when it's fully corrected.
What do you expect to be done? It is as corrected as it ever will be. South Africa has a democratically elected government. It does not get much better than that.

Flankerl

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
South Africa has a democratically elected government but the wealth disparity is pretty white and black. I hope this is not as fixed their country will be from colonization.

It will take a while to accomplish perfection. But one sided grabbing of property is not the answer either. Taxation can do wonders when done properly.

Flankerl

Israel?
Supporting apartheid?

You don't say?

A Communist?
Hating Israel?

You don't say?

Israel is also good friends with India:

Pakistan is free to stop being an insane asylum and join the civilised world.

and Burma:

Oh noes a patrol boat.
Shall we go through the military suppliers of Burma?

Belarus
China
Pakistan
Indonesia

Israel
North Korea
South Korea
Malaysia
India
Russia
Serbia

Singapore
Ukraine

Oh look, 3 Muslim countries. How did that happen?
2 Communist hell holes with one being far worse than the other.
The who's who of the former USSR/Eastern bloc.
And 4 countries vastly inferior to all of the other combined.

But you are a Muslim, let's talk about the Muslim suppliers of Burma. :)

Sakeenah

Israel wasn't the only country supporting the apartheid at that time. Majority of governments act out of greed and self-interest.
I think a big issue at the moment is Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

" The authorities continued to promote illegal settlements in the West Bank, including by attempting to retroactively “legalize” settlements built on private Palestinian land, and severely restricted Palestinians’ freedom of movement, closing some areas after attacks by Palestinians on Israelis. Israeli forces continued to blockade the Gaza Strip, subjecting its population of 1.9 million to collective punishment, and to demolish homes of Palestinians in the West Bank and of Bedouin villagers in Israel’s Negev/Naqab region, forcibly evicting residents. The authorities imprisoned conscientious objectors to military service and detained and deported thousands of asylum-seekers from Africa."

Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories 2016/2017

Sakeenah

A Communist?
Hating Israel?

You don't say?

Pakistan is free to stop being an insane asylum and join the civilised world.

Oh noes a patrol boat.
Shall we go through the military suppliers of Burma?

Belarus
China
Pakistan
Indonesia

Israel
North Korea
South Korea
Malaysia
India
Russia
Serbia

Singapore
Ukraine

Oh look, 3 Muslim countries. How did that happen?
2 Communist hell holes with one being far worse than the other.
The who's who of the former USSR/Eastern bloc.
And 4 countries vastly inferior to all of the other combined.

But you are a Muslim, let's talk about the Muslim suppliers of Burma. :)

This is ridiculous..Injustice is Injustice, it doesn't matter if it's done by a Muslim or a Jew. The Israeli authorities have committed atrocities, but that doesn't mean the Jewish people are all responsible. You can point the finger at me and say but what about Muslim governments. Yes, we have corrupt governments that have committed atrocities. I will not defend Muslim governments that have opressed others or helped others to commit atrocities just because we share the same faith.
All those governments( Muslim and non Muslim) that have supplied Burma are responsible and should be hold accountable.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Israel's support of apartheid was unconscionable, so too its approach to Palestine and Palestinians. Even its attitude towards the Jewish diaspora has proven to be increasingly shameful. I am thankful for (and supportive of) the many organizations within Israel that are fighting against its right-wing nativism.

Flankerl

Your point being? :rolleyes:

You lot are still incredibly butthurt of Israel not becoming a Communist dictatorship after you supported it in the 40s.

It's really sad isn't it?

and detained and deported thousands of asylum-seekers from Africa."

Oh noes a country detains and deports illegal immigrants. What has the world come to?
Pretty soon there won't be a single illegal immigrant in Israel thanks to the deal with Rwanda. :)

You can point the finger at me and say but what about Muslim governments. Yes, we have corrupt governments that have committed atrocities. I will not defend Muslim governments that have opressed others or helped others to commit atrocities just because we share the same faith.
All those governments( Muslim and non Muslim) that have supplied Burma are responsible and should be hold accountable.

But they won't. Funny isn't it?

Even its attitude towards the Jewish diaspora has proven to be increasingly shameful.

Somehow American Liberal Jews think that they have a say in Israeli politics on their virtue of being Jews.
American Orthodox Jews somehow don't think that way.

Really weird.

It's also always fun how American Liberal Jews fly over to Jerusalem to start fights at the Kotel. It's almost as if the "Egalitarian Area" was just a ruse.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Somehow American Liberal Jews think that they have a say in Israeli politics on their virtue of being Jews.
American Orthodox Jews somehow don't think that way.
That's somewhat of a generalization, but true nonetheless. Still ...

Tzedek, Tzedek Tirdof – צֶדֶק צֶדֶק תִּרְדּף
Justice, Justice You Will Pursue

(Deuteronomy 16:20)