• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Wait?

rrobs

The retconning is in how you inserted Jesus into the Garden of Eden story.

But this game where you come up with your own bizarre specious interpretations for Bible verses and treat them as unquestionable fact sounds like it's not going to be much fun for me, so I think I'll leave you to play it on your own.
In other words, you have no valid argument? Why didn't you just say that?

Take care

rrobs

I know that it doesn't say "why" only that "in the fulness of time" or, paraphrased, at the right time.

Galatians 4:4
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

But I think time is relative. If indeed a thousand years is as a day for God, he only waited 4 days. :)
Yes. And I'm .08 years old! Still young. Yeah!!! :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why did God wait for 4,000 years before sending the redeemer? Verse references would be helpful.
Humans have brains, to sort things out themselves.

Why did humans wait 4000+ years and still not sorted things out themselves?

rrobs

No, I didn't. If I had been certain that that was what you were talking about, I would have recommended that you consult the JWs or Soapy. According to them, they are the only authorities on Scripture and what God has done and why; and the rest of us are satanic idiots.
I don't think you are any kind of idiot, let alone a satanic one.

Those guys don't have an answer either. They would never consider that their redeemer was a man just like the rest of us. It took God that long to lay out His plan (the OT) so it could be passed on to some man who would believe it and carry it out. That of course would take some time, about 4,000 years in this case.

JWs and Soapy believe Jesus is God. If that were true it seems like He could have taken care of the problem on the spot. Why would he have waited so long? Pretty cruel if you ask me.

I was just pointing out one of hundreds of problems when they make Jesus to be God. Another example might be, how can a son be his own father? I've never gotten a logical answer to that one either.

Take care.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes. And I'm .08 years old! Still young. Yeah!!! :)
So true!!! In light of eternity, how old am I really? At age 66, I still feel very young on the inside. I look in the mirror and ask myself, "Who is that guy?"

rrobs

So true!!! In light of eternity, how old am I really? At age 66, I still feel very young on the inside. I look in the mirror and ask myself, "Who is that guy?"
And then you answer, "It's a wonderful son of God!"

rrobs

Hmmm. I'm curious then why you wouldn't post this in a DIR. What perspectives from non-believers do you think would help if you aren't wanting to listen to the perspectives of folks outside of the context of your beliefs? Wouldn't you find opinions from your fellow believers more useful for what you're trying to figure out?
I thought I had posted where fellow believers would answer, but I can see I was wrong about that? What is a DIR?

Thanks for the heads up.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I thought I had posted where fellow believers would answer, but I can see I was wrong about that? What is a DIR?

Thanks for the heads up.
2+ years and over 2,000 posts in and you don’t know what a DIR is? You must not get out much!

Lest I not do the subject justice, take a look at the forum rules. Have you not ever read them? It is Rule 10.

rrobs

PMFJI according to this
2 Peter 3:8 8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the LORD a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Psalm 90:4 4A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.

So, he only waited 4 days.(He probably had other things to do)
Then I'm only .08 years old. :)

Onoma

My question is not flawed. It has important meaning for those who want to know the story line of the Bible. It deals with the nature of the main character; was he a man, a god, or a god-man?

Surely you can see that would affect the entire story, whether one believes the story is true or not. It is, after all, a story with a plot, theme, character, setting, and conflict. That much can not be denied.

I don't think you are an idiot. I just assume you've never heard what I said and want to understand.

Here's the info you wanted: https://www.biblechristiansofgod.com/timeline-from-genesis-to-jesus

Take care

all good, my man, I'd heard it before a few times, although where genealogies are concerned, I found L'Immortalité de l'âme chez les Chaldéens, (1875- Julius Oppert ) to be far more interesting

If your question pertains to whether he was a god or a man or a god-man, I would simply suggest you look into the traditions of priest-kings in Mesopotamia ( And also exactly what they considered a " god " )

When the Bible mentions " priest-kings " it does so because that was a lineage of kings that spanned thousands of years, of which Jesus comes out of

This would date back to at least Naram-Sin ( Grandson of the founder of the Akkadian empire ) and should be investigated by any Bible student

Cheers !

rrobs

The real riddle is why, knowing exactly what was going to happen, [he] didn't have it all sorted out when [he] made the universe some 13.8 bn years ago, no?

What are omniscience and omnipotence for if not that?
How does free will fit into all of this? Can God really do whatever He wants? Did He not give some of His power when He put man in charge of the earth?

I suppose He could have just made a bunch of robots that would do exactly what He wanted them to do without fail, but that's not what He did. Instead He gave us free will. He'll tell us what works in life and what doesn't, but ultimately it's up to the individual to decide.

It took Him 4,000 years to communicate His plan of redemption, i.e. the OT, and to wait until a man with free will was willing to carry it out.

Take care

rrobs

2+ years and over 2,000 posts in and you don’t know what a DIR is? You must not get out much!
Well, as a matter of fact, I live in the middle of nowhere, so I really don't get out that much. Throw in Covid restrictions and I'm really stuck out here with not much to do.

But even if I went drinking and dancing every night, I still wouldn't know what DIR is.
Lest I not do the subject justice, take a look at the forum rules. Have you not ever read them? It is Rule 10.
10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
If we're in a non-debate forum, shouldn't everybody just be agreeing with me? :) :)

Seriously, could you just tell me where stuff like my OP should be posted. I'd appreciate it.

Take care.

rrobs

all good, my man, I'd heard it before a few times, although where genealogies are concerned, I found L'Immortalité de l'âme chez les Chaldéens, (1875- Julius Oppert ) to be far more interesting
Well, I did read El General en su Laberinto in Spanish, but I don't do French. I took it in 6th grade, but when I found out my French name was Richarde it sounded too much like Rachel so I decide right then and there I didn't like it. :)

If your question pertains to whether he was a god or a man or a god-man, I would simply suggest you look into the traditions of priest-kings in Mesopotamia ( And also exactly what they considered a " god " )
Anyone with power and authority. That's my understanding. I guess I should have been more specific and ask why Yahweh waited. There are many gods but only one Yahweh.

When the Bible mentions " priest-kings " it does so because that was a lineage of kings that spanned thousands of years, of which Jesus comes out of

This would date back to at least Naram-Sin ( Grandson of the founder of the Akkadian empire ) and should be investigated by any Bible student

Cheers !
I actually have studied ancient Middle East history at some great length. It's been a long time and I've forgotten much of the detail, but it did help understand the culture in which the Bible story took place.

Onoma

Well, I did read El General en su Laberinto in Spanish, but I don't do French. I took it in 6th grade, but when I found out my French name was Richarde it sounded too much like Rachel so I decide right then and there I didn't like it. :)

Anyone with power and authority. That's my understanding. I guess I should have been more specific and ask why Yahweh waited. There are many gods but only one Yahweh.

I actually have studied ancient Middle East history at some great length. It's been a long time and I've forgotten much of the detail, but it did help understand the culture in which the Bible story took place.

Good, good

As far as people claiming to be gods, this started, according to our records, with Naram-Sin

He is the first known king to be deified in literature, and the first known to have been identified as a god-man using the Akkadian cognate " dingir " ( god ) to the Semetic " El " ( God )

His name : ( "Beloved of the Moon God Sîn", )

The bit means " priest / lord " ( of ) " wisdom - En-Zu )

But, Naram-Sin did something that had a profound effect on life in the antiquities, and that was to standardize all measurements under one system, in 2150 BCE , using the " royal gur " ( cube ). Any measure or unit of measurement in the Bible can be directly traced to his system ( incredibly complex ! ), and we still to this day use some of his conventions for mathematics and mathematical astronomy, etc

Now...whether or not Jesus actually came from this lineage is a matter of debate, ( I'd be happy to go there ) but when the Bible says " priest-king ", I look to history and the historical records we have of priest-kings, to get more insight

I'm personally not a Biblical literalist, so when someone starts by assuming the Genesis narrative is an accurate representation of time / events passed, I just can't buy it, mainly for the fact that literalism is not something found in Mesopotamian literature