• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God treat the people of the Old Testament as "simple" people

Tawn said:
1. We assume there is no God. The bible was written by ancient mankind and therefore reflects their knowledge of the world at that time. This makes perfect sense.
You don't even have to assume anything about God in order to posit the second sentence.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
[
Tawn said:
So let me get this straight.. the bible says certain things about the world, which science has shown to be otherwise.
OK, Logic boy... what does the Bible say that science has shown to be otherwise???

Enquiring minds want to know!

Scuba Pete

BTW,

Pah has "brushed off" a litany of questions that I posed earlier (in two different posts). Since he wants nothing to do with me right now, maybe one of "the posse" can elucidate on them for us.

Or is the question asking merely a one way street??? :D

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
BTW,

Pah has "brushed off" a litany of questions that I posed earlier (in two different posts). Since he wants nothing to do with me right now, maybe one of "the posse" can elucidate on them for us.

Or is the question asking merely a one way street??? :D
These Questions?
Do (or can) societies mature?

If yes, what is the time frame for this maturation?

If no, than why do they stay stagnant?

Is the accumulation of knowledge the same as the accumulation of maturity or even wisdom?

Why should God feel compelled to do our "homework" for us???
They have all been answered. And you distorted the answers sticking to your own little world.

Not a brush off NetDoc but a backing off. I have to back off before my peers start giving me warnings - I'd like nothing better than to expose your arguments for what they are but my civility is on the edge of colapse. This is one of those times when I wish I could ignore a poster but that's disregarding my responsibilities. You will get few responses from me as a post; Gail will hear the ones I utter..

Scuba Pete

Sorry to cause you stress Pah. That was not my intent. I guess my "own little world" should move on. You were here first.

Hope

Princesinha
Who's to say the ancient peoples were 'simple'? Are we so arrogant as to assume we are so much more 'enlightened'?

While we have indeed gained much scientific and technological knowledge, I believe we are fooling ourselves if we think we are superior because of this knowledge. I believe it highly probable that mankind's overall intelligence has actually diminished over time. How do we account for all our unused brain matter? I think there are many facets to one's intelligence, and that having scientific or technological knowledge is only one of those facets. Think of some of the mysteries of the world......how were the Pyramids built? how about Stonehenge? we conjecture, but no one knows for sure. But it's pretty obvious that people back then weren't dummies.

I don't think the Israelites, or any of the other peoples of the Bible, were 'simple.' At least not in the way that the term is being used.

And, in reference to someone's comment about believing in something or someone that we don't fully understand, and how absurd that seems---I think that's actually not too wacky a thing. I kinda like some mystery. Mystery adds spice to life. If I knew everything about everyone and everything, it'd be kinda dull. That's why God is so cool....it'll take eternity to really get to know Him, and His ways, because He is an infinite being. :D

Tawn

EEWRED said:
What falsehoods scientifically are you talking about? Did the Bible ever claim itself to be the scientific explanation to any and all questions you may come up with?
Lets not get confused regarding 'scientific explanations'. Science explains the basic things in life. Nobody said the bible was going to explain exactly how things happen and if there was a God I wouldnt expect it.
However, when the things the bible says dont work within a scientific framework.. one has to be suspicious. This is not a case of the bible not explaining things - but more a case of what the bible does explain being false.
Or, do you think so highly of yourself that if you can not understand it, then therfore it must not have happened. That's what we are really talking about isn't it? We're really just talking about trying to find a way for you to reinforce your own egocentric reality. The only truth is knowing that you know nothing.
Actually I accept I do not understand a lot of things.. but because of that I rationally will leave the answer at: 'I dont know'. Instead of leaping foolishly to fill in the gaps of my knowledge with 'God did it'.
If things dont make sense, I naturally am suspicious and withold belief.

Tawn

NetDoc said:
[
OK, Logic boy... what does the Bible say that science has shown to be otherwise???

Enquiring minds want to know!
I think that has already been discussed in multiple other threads.. and is part of the reason for this thread being created too!

Admittedly, if you are happy that science and the bible are not in contradiction then my argument has no merit. However, it seems to me that Christianity has had to resort to regarding the bible stories as allegory instead of actual events to make it fit with science.. Just look at the Noah story.

Hope-- The fact that fresh water sources exist today means that the Earth could not have ever been covered completely by water, as the Noah story suggests. Studies of animal genes show that they do not all come from two ancestors, and the fossil record does not show the near-mass extinction of every animal on Earth (including humans). The story causes innumberable other problems....like how Noah traveled to Australia and gathered two of every marcupial, then after the flood transported them back to Australia, and how two lions were fed for a year whilst keeping them away from the two zebras on board. I'm afraid the only people who believe in this story are Christians, Jews, and Muslims who value their a priori beliefs more than facts.

fromthe heart

Mr_Spinkles said:
Hope-- The fact that fresh water sources exist today means that the Earth could not have ever been covered completely by water, as the Noah story suggests. Studies of animal genes show that they do not all come from two ancestors, and the fossil record does not show the near-mass extinction of every animal on Earth (including humans). The story causes innumberable other problems....like how Noah traveled to Australia and gathered two of every marcupial, then after the flood transported them back to Australia, and how two lions were fed for a year whilst keeping them away from the two zebras on board. I'm afraid the only people who believe in this story are Christians, Jews, and Muslims who value their a priori beliefs more than facts.
Hi...not sure whether to jump in here or not after reading the prior posts..but to get in my unimportant 2 cents...I believe the dry land on earth was once one piece that has seperated over the exsistence of the earth due to floods,earthquakes,tsunamis,etc. I do believe the whole of dry land was flooded in Noahs day...I also feel this flood was the demise of the BIG dinosaurs and smaller ones related to the species were taken on the ark...I feel that due to the things like volcanos may have purified some inland waters. I have my own therory on all this stuff but the only who really knows for sure is the Creator Himself

I don't really feel God treated any person as a simpleton...He was instructing through many ways to lead certian groups of people in a certian direction and I think most of the folks from Bible times sound just as ordinary as we are.:)

Hope

Princesinha
Spinkles, I agree with fromtheheart that there used to be one giant land mass, prior to the flood. Also, it doesn't say in the Bible that Noah gathered the animals himself. I believe God did that for him. Additionally, God instructed Noah to take seven of each clean animal, and two of each unclean. So, no problems there!