• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God reject Cain's offering?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Please note that this is the Judaism DIR. Under no circumstances are non-Jewish views to be posted in this thread.

Further violations of Rule 10 may result in warnings or infractions being issued.

CMike

So Rav Ovadia Yosef is not a brilliant scholar? Baba Sali? Rav of Lubavitch? Gaon of Vilna?
You need to have died 1800 years ago to be a brilliant scholar?
I'm orthodox just like you, but you are saying stuff that even the most eccentric orthodox Jews shouldn't say.

Just because the person doesn't have a long beard, or the title of rabbi doesn't mean he can't be a brilliant scholar.

70 facets, everyone will understand differently. You can disagree, but no need to disrespect because the scholar is not what you would traditionally call a scholar.

From his bio that Jay posted.

"Thus, for Sarna, the prospect of judging the "scientific" merits of the account of Creation is misguided, and literalism especially is to be utterly rejected if an honest interaction with the texts is to be achieved (Sarna 1966, p. xxiii"

You should consider re evaluating your position.

CMike

Please elaborate how there is no real difference. What do secular Jews have to earn from changing what they believe is the truth? Christians on the other hand, need to prove to the world, through the Torah, that JC was the messiah, or the son of God, or who even knows anymore...
Secular Jews will not, ever, be able to prove, through the Torah, that Jews should be secular...

if Einstein were interested in giving the Torah a shot, and then got so interested he decided to write a commentary about it... Would you not be interested in this brilliant man's opinion on the subject?
Secular seeks to prove not to take the Torah literally, so it fits into their agenda.

It's very similar how christians have to make it fit into their agenda.

However, this is the jewish directory, not the secular directory.

Last edited:

dantech

From his bio that Jay posted.

"Thus, for Sarna, the prospect of judging the "scientific" merits of the account of Creation is misguided, and literalism especially is to be utterly rejected if an honest interaction with the texts is to be achieved (Sarna 1966, p. xxiii"

You should consider re evaluating your position.

I know my position, I disagree with Nahum Sarna. Just because I disagree though, doesn't mean I need to lack respect for his obvious brilliance.

dantech

Secular seeks to prove not to take the Torah literally, so it fits into their agenda.

It's very similar how christians have to make it fit into their agenda.

However, this is the jewish directory, not the secular directory.

Many Orthodox rabbis will tell you that not all the Torah should be taken literally... PARDES?
PSHAT is pretty much always literal, but if you wish to get to Remez, Drash, and finally SOD, you know things will very rarely be understood literally.

I didn't say you absolutely have to agree with what these types of scholars have to say, but it should always be of interest to see what all sides have to say on a subject of interest.

dantech

That's if we have the same values and/or foundation.

How will someone who studies torah, say for money, have the same values than someone who does it to get close to God? Obviously "Mitokh shelo lishma ba lishma" is to explain that even the one who studies it for selfish reasons will end up studying it for the right reasons.
Either way, the selfish man's opinion on the subject can possibly be brilliant, and having an open mind about at least seeing what this person has to say is the healthy way to see things. To just close your eyes and accept the opinions of only orthodox rabbis is counter-productive.

dantech

So the Christian remake of the Torah is just as valid?

In my opinion, it is not valid. Does this mean I shouldn't even entertain the thought of listening to what they have to say? No!

I can disagree if I want to, but I should at least listen to what they have to say.

Some Christians have impressed me in the passed with some ideas they had on certain specific verses.
Just because they change the meaning of "Ha'almah Harah" doesn't mean they are automatically wrong about everything else in the Tanakh.