• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did god let me leave if he's supposed to care?

Gudrun

Proud Pagan
I used to be Christian. I had asked Jesus in my heart and everything. My question is, why did I drift away? Why would god let me go away from him if he supposedly wants me for his kingdom? Does he just not care or what? I've been struggling with this for quite some time. I had always beem taught that god was supposed to care about you and keep you from going astray.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I used to be Christian. I had asked Jesus in my heart and everything. My question is, why did I drift away? Why would god let me go away from him if he supposedly wants me for his kingdom? Does he just not care or what? I've been struggling with this for quite some time. I had always beem taught that god was supposed to care about you and keep you from going astray.

You have free will. Ask yourself why you drifted away and what you drifted towards and why.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Honestly? I just think he is/was an Asura who bit off more than he could chew, and instead of taking responsibility, he blamed everyone else.

He wants to help, but he is (or at least was) waaaaaay too immature to handle so much. He needs to work on himself before he tries to help others.

captainbryce

I used to be Christian. I had asked Jesus in my heart and everything. My question is, why did I drift away?
Why do you think that anyone here would know the answer to this question? Assuming we even believe that you used to be a Christian and asked Jesus for (whatever it is that you supposedly asked him for), without any context beyond that, without knowing what you really wanted in life, or what kind of relationship you had with Jesus (if any), why would you assume that someone who doesn't even know you might be able to help you with this problem (assuming you actually care)? If you actually CARED about this, then I'd suggest you take it up with a Pastor or some clergy. It seems to me that you've be more likely to get an answer commensurate with whatever type of Christianity you supposedly practiced. But again, without any sort of context or background, it would be impossible for someone to give you a realistic answer to this question.

Why would god let me go away from him if he supposedly wants me for his kingdom? Does he just not care or what? I've been struggling with this for quite some time. I had always beem taught that god was supposed to care about you and keep you from going astray.
But were you ever taught HOW to get God to do that for you? Were you ever taught what actually motivates God to intervene on your behalf? Were you ever taught what pleases God, or what you should be doing for God? Or were you only taught to hope that God helps you to believe in what he wants you to believe in? Because if that's the case, that might be part of the reason why you went astray in the first place. You are apparently a prideful person, so if this is something you truly struggle with, then may I suggest that the first thing you need to do is tone down your level of pride, and perhaps read Psalms 10. It may put you on the right path to some of your answers. It starts off like this:

Psalms 10
1 Why, Lord, do you stand far off?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

arthra

Baha'i

You'd have to ask yourself why you left your earlier faith..

You wanted to explore and experience different spiritual ideas and topics..

Maybe God wanted you to go through that process to deepen you and lead you to higher aspirations..

But only you know the answer to your question because each of us is unique and each of us in our way is worthy of spiritual progress!

:)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I used to be Christian. I had asked Jesus in my heart and everything. My question is, why did I drift away? Why would god let me go away from him if he supposedly wants me for his kingdom? Does he just not care or what? I've been struggling with this for quite some time. I had always been taught that god was supposed to care about you and keep you from going astray.

I've always believed that God doesn't want people to be forced to follow Him or even to believe in Him. I also believe that God gave us free will.

vtunie

Perhaps you have taken a wise teacher and turned him into something he never was, or wanted to be?

When you find God, there is always a mirror in front of you.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why do you think that anyone here would know the answer to this question? Assuming we even believe that you used to be a Christian and asked Jesus for (whatever it is that you supposedly asked him for), without any context beyond that, without knowing what you really wanted in life, or what kind of relationship you had with Jesus (if any), why would you assume that someone who doesn't even know you might be able to help you with this problem (assuming you actually care)? If you actually CARED about this, then I'd suggest you take it up with a Pastor or some clergy. It seems to me that you've be more likely to get an answer commensurate with whatever type of Christianity you supposedly practiced. But again, without any sort of context or background, it would be impossible for someone to give you a realistic answer to this question.
I'll take a stab at this one: Because more often then necessary Christians like to tell others why and how they've gone astray from Christ. So, come on CB, step up to the plate and take a swing.

But were you ever taught HOW to get God to do that for you? Were you ever taught what actually motivates God to intervene on your behalf? Were you ever taught what pleases God, or what you should be doing for God? Or were you only taught to hope that God helps you to believe in what he wants you to believe in? Because if that's the case, that might be part of the reason why you went astray in the first place. You are apparently a prideful person, so if this is something you truly struggle with, then may I suggest that the first thing you need to do is tone down your level of pride, and perhaps read Psalms 10. It may put you on the right path to some of your answers.
You know, Gudrun, the bribing part; where you promise all kinds of stuff and in return god does the same. It's a quid pro quo operation.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Sometimes I think that people often leave a religion or faith, not because of teachings, but because of the others who also follow the faith. Some people are very good at driving people away from a faith rather that attracting people to it.

Edited to add: I guess I should add that I am not talking about anyone, that this is just a general thing.

Last edited:

FranklinMichaelV.3

Sometimes I think that people often leave a religion or faith, not because of teachings, but because of the others who also follow the faith. Some people are very good at driving people away from a faith rather that attracting people to it.

Edited to add: I guess I should add that I am not talking about anyone, that this is just a general thing.

It's sad to see that a few of the responses here placed the blame on the person. Commenting on all the things they must have done wrong.

Reminds me of the story of Job.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I'll take a stab at this one: Because more often then necessary Christians like to tell others why and how they've gone astray from Christ. So, come on CB, step up to the plate and take a swing.

You know, Gudrun, the bribing part; where you promise all kinds of stuff and in return god does the same. It's a quid pro quo operation.

Ha. I was going to mention the bribery thing :p

If Yahweh actually did care for people, he would do things for them just because He loved them; not "for his glory" or "so people will know who I am" or "I got you out of Egypt, you owe me."

He would do it because he loves us and has compassion on us. With no strings attached and no conditions whatsoever. But instead, it's all about what he can get out of it. Is that love and compassion? No, it's all one-sided and selfish.

FREE WILL is the answer.

God won't push people into doing or believing things.

He cares for you but he also have made you a free decision making creature.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Might as well ask why the father didn't find his prodigal son and drag him out of the bars and whorehouses. Could it be He knew the prodigal would figure it out some day?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

I had the exact same questions. I was struggling very bad with doubt for years, and I prayed for guidance, more faith, strength, but it didn't help.

My last prayer was to God to prove his existence, and he has need quiet since.

I've cone to look at the concept of God in a different way now. It took many years, but I don't believe in the personal being God anymore.

Muffled

Jesus in me
FREE WILL is the answer.

God won't push people into doing or believing things.

He cares for you but he also have made you a free decision making creature.

I believe evidently you have never heard Him called the hound of heaven. I believe I was pushed and have to admit that I am grateful that He did.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
It's sad to see that a few of the responses here placed the blame on the person. Commenting on all the things they must have done wrong.

Reminds me of the story of Job.

Yeah. I know it wasn't my doing or will to lose faith. I struggled for years and fought hard to keep my faith. Eventually, I realized I had to be honest to myself and see that I didn't believe anymore.

The problem is that people feel threatened if someone else don't believe or lose it. It's too personal, so the blame is put on the victim instead of honest look at the things.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Why do you think God would want you to be a Christian? Really, for some, Christianity is not the right choice. It just doesn't fit for them. There is nothing wrong with that, and I would assume that if God really is an intelligent being, God would know that.

There are more than one path. Christianity may work for some, but for others, it just doesn't. There is no problem with that.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Even if God does care, people are free to choose. I'm reminded of the parable of the prodigal son, where the father welcomes his lost son even though the son had gone astray and done the father disservice.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

I think this is any easy one to answer: free will