• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an interesting story on why God created us which I will briefly summarize.

God is everything and everywhere. Nothing else existed...there was only God for all eternity. God became lonely and He separated Himself creating all that exists. Everything..the universe, humans, animals, etc; are simply God ( a piece of Him) and eventually all the entiities that God created from Himself will return into God as a whole.

Well, the original story is better written than I do justice but you get the picture. I thought it was a pretty good one.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
^^^^The "why" here is because God was lonely.

Does this sound reasonable? Why would a being who is full in Himself feel lonely?

Ceridwen018

It doesn't quite make sense to me. If god created us because he was lonely, why does he leave us alone now? For him to create little friends and then not interact with them seems to defeat the purpose a bit.

LOL...The story was not from a religious text and I don't have the answers you ask. My only thoughts were that God was occupying his time by separating Himself into what exists and looking to see how long it would take for those pieces of Him to come back together.

I'll have to find the entire text and write it down verbatim so you get a clearer picture.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
I still think there is a deeper issue here.

This may be outside of the Christian perspective but, has anyone considered that perhaps the individual souls originally (at some point in existence) had the desire to enjoy apart from God, and that this is why God created at all?

The difficulty people will have coming from a Christian perspective is accepting that the individual souls are eternal with God. Because, if they are not, then the question arises, 'why did God create the souls?', which is essentially the same question as this thread.

Understand that this would completely reconcile the problem of thinking that God creates humans to please Himself. God is full in Himself. He does not require to create fleeting existences in order for His pleasure. God has His eternal pastimes. Not that God does not take pleasure in us, but the "us" that He does take pleasure in is not the created part. God, as an eternal being, takes pleasure in eternal things. Is this unreasonable? The difference between us and God is that we are prone to fall, God is infallible. And even when we return to our constitutional position in God's company, we are still subordinate to God. God is the Infinite Supersoul and we are the infinitesimal souls.

standing_on_one_foot

Maybe God enjoys creating. Although I don't know. I can only look at things from a human point of view. Human reasons? Loneliness, the need to create, the desire to have something to care about...but from God's point of view? I can't see that. I mean, if I could understand, what would be the point, you know?

Although this reminds me of a quote I found once while wandering through Professor Tolkien's writings. I'm afraid I haven't the book with me, so the quote here is not so eloquent as the original, but I remember enough of the gist of it to give you some idea. It was in a story about travelling to distant worlds, or at least dreaming of travelling, and one world was full of mirrors or crystals or something, a very beautiful place, at any rate. One of the characters, describing it, says, "Reflected light has its own special beauty, which I suppose is why we were created in the first place." I'll have to see about finding the quote when I get home. There was something about it that got to me...

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Well yes, God enjoys everything He does. But the fact that He enjoys does not constitute an answer to why He creates. Because whether He creates or not, He is enjoying.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
In other words, God does not have to seek out enjoyment like we do. He is enjoying while creating and while destroying. God is the Supreme Enjoyer. So now the question is why does He particularly choose to create these material lifeforms, more specifically, us? We cannot say that it is because He enjoys doing it, because He enjoys, period. I have suggested that God creates us because we desire it. This means that we existed prior to the creation. I think this is something most Christians will not accept. But how else can one account for these multifarious positions we are born into? Why is one born into a poor family and another into a rich family? We are not all the same on a material level. The question is why.

Ceridwen018

Why is one born into a poor family and another into a rich family? We are not all the same on a material level. The question is why.
Why is there cancer? Why is there war and murder? Text deleted - pah

Rex

Founder
*MOD POST*

Come on guys/gals keep this on topic so I don't have to move it. Remember this post is in the Christianity Forum and is not subject to debate amongst others than are not of this faith. If you wish to start a debate about this please go to the appropriate forum. We are just trying to keep the forum organized...

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Ceridwen018 said:
Why is there cancer? Why is there war and murder? deleted text.

LMAO. Yeah, this is definitely off topic

My point in asking why was to take into account that differing positions constitute differing degrees to which we (the souls) fell.

Deleted text - pah

Pah

Uber all member
Moderator post

The language here is totally disrestful to some of our readers. You have shown yourselves to have more than the intelligence of the gutter and I expect you to return to it.

-pah-

Moderator post

Status
Not open for further replies.