• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Create The Universe

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think this goes to the ultimate question of "Why are we here?" And i think you'll get as many answers as there are people in the world.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
To experience what is it to be God. You cannot fully experience and appreciate what it means to be something until you are not that thing. The Hindus would say the world is lila, God's play.

Actually, I really have no idea why the universe was created. Perhaps God is saving the punch line for later. ;)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Lightkeeper said:
If God is omnipotent and self-complete, why was the universe and life created?
Maybe it's like His own personal reality TV show:sarcastic

So don't vote me off the planet:D
Pleazzzzze

Fluffy

A fool
I can understand your point Help Me, however I took the idea of God being "self-complete" to me that he has no want for anything. In other words he is completly content and so would not do anything to increase his own pleasure since it cannot be increased. Therefore, he would not WANT to share existence?

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
want and need are different things.

the way you are describing 'want' leads me to believe you mean 'need'.imo, excuse me if i am wrong.

Fluffy

A fool
I guess I am kinda. Though, if a being were self complete, should he not have neither wants nor needs?

Just out of interest, would you put the company of others as a want or a need?

Faust

John scotus Erigena proposed that since God exists outside of time and space, he had to create "the man", whom the universe existed within until his falling away from contemplation of God, so that God could indeed know himself. That which is not circumscribed by any boundarys or limitations is unknowable.
Jack Miles proposes something on this order in his book, God A Biography.
Faust

SoulTYPE

Perhaps God created the world to mould generations in to His shape, and to share his love and hopefully spread his Goodness.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
Maybe every single thing in the Universe is an aspect of God.

Even Bongo Jimmy's "Lurid Safari Lust" website, featuring Bongo Jimmy and his sexcapades with most known species of African wildlife?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Lightkeeper said:
If God is omnipotent and self-complete, why was the universe and life created?
Perhaps this assumption here is that life is created. Though I think you may be referring to the creation of these material bodies and, overall, the creation of the universe. In that case my answer is that perhaps this creation is not for God. That would be the logical conclusion given that God is self-complete. Rather, perhaps this universe is manifest for the part and parcel living entities. God is eternally accompanied by an innumerable amount of souls that are part and parcel of Him just like the sun globe is accompanied by many particles of sunshine.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Lightkeeper said:
Maybe every single thing in the Universe is an aspect of God.
I agree with you in a certain sense. Where there may be a possible difference in your conception and mine is that I do not feel that everything being an aspect of God means that the Supreme Personality of Godhead loses His transcendental individuality amid this conception. Everything is an aspect of God in the sense that He, the Supreme Personality, in an absolute sense is non-different from His energies. Nevertheless, being non-different does not constitute a oneness to rule out variegatedness. God is simultaneously one and distinct from His energies. In the Vedas it explains that the material universe is the aspect of what is known as God's external energy. In the same sense that the sunshine is external from the sun globe, yet so long as the sun globe exists, the sunshine exists as well. So you can't divorce the two from each other the same way you can't divorce God, the Energetic, from the universe, His energy. They are one, yet they are different. That philosophy is called Acintya bheda bheda tattva, which means, Inconceivably one and many (or different), simultaneously.