• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why Did God Create Mankind if He Knew Man Would Sin?"

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Again I'll ask:

And you know this to be a fact because __________________________________________________. Just asking because it doesn't square with being omniscient.

some things are fairly obvious
do you really need to be told?

so what if most people believe God is everywhere and in every time span

maybe you've noticed.....when you prayed
you didn't get a memo in return

I don't think God answers every prayer
that would make Him everybody's servant

and of course the obvious......God doesn't have to prove Himself to you
it's suppose to be the other way around

Skwim

Veteran Member
some things are fairly obvious
do you really need to be told?
It's only that your claim goes contrary to what almost all other Christians believe to be part of his omniscience.

Omniscience of God – God Knows All Things
The omniscience of God is the principle that God is all-knowing; that He encompasses all knowledge of the universe past, present, and future. In the beginning, God created the world and everything in it, including knowledge.
source

I've posted the following before, but evidently you missed it.

04.25.18_beliefingod-00-05.png

Note that 87% of Christians believe god is all-knowing. Not just partially knowing, or knowing some things but not others, but ALL KNOWING. And "all" would necessarily include the past, present, and future. So, that's why I ask how you know that god does not look ahead of the present.

You know this to be a fact because _________________________________________________.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not recall seeing anything in Genesis which would lead me to believe the narrative is about our human projections upon God.
You're not looking at it right then. That's what I'm here to do. :) Actually, this is how I read it, and as someone who very much values the story. It's a beautiful look into our humanity in understanding itself all those years ago, which they captured in this classic story.

When you approach this from an anthropological perspective, that this is an origin myth, one of many from ancient people's as part of their origin accounts of how they came to be, it offers tremendous insights into what it is to be a human being. It's their words in how they imagined the world began, and it expresses what it is to be human in this. That tells us about ourselves!

The story of Adam and Eve is a projection of our deepest existential questions of being, pain, suffering, and death, while at the same time being awake enough to be able actually ask the questions why. This is what the story attempts to answer. The story is the question, and it's imagined answer to it.

"Why? Why am I here? Why do I exist? What is it to die? What is it to lose a loved one? Why is it God seems so far from us in these times of suffering?" All of these are the questions the author seeks to answer in his poem for the audience who listens for his guidance as a visionary. These are all our questions as being human throughout the ages.

This is what Genesis is. They are timeless human questions, that the author answers in his characters, Adam and Eve. These characters in his story are projections of humanity against the deep night sky, so we can look up, or back, and see our connection with ourselves in history through time.

Is this story inspired by God? Yes. I believe it is. Is it the facts of history and our actual scientific origins? I'll ask you this instead: Does it need to be?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Also, I do not consider God’s ways abusive but instructive, but I do see our ways as abusive and de-meritorious toward spiritual growth.
People who grow up in a Strict Parent (SP) home (as opposed to Nurturant Parent (NP) homes - these are terms from the Cognitive Behavior Sciences, BTW), will typically see that switch across their back, as "instructional", justifying the actions of the parent who uses physical force to "discipline" his child. Discipline and instructions in NP homes occurs in more loving fashions, as oppose to force which is then justified as love "for their own good".

The God I see is a whole lot less the OT God, but rather the God of Unconditional Love, such as dominates most of the NT. Those from SP families would tend to relate to the OT God and lot more than those from the NP families. Then tribalism comes in here too, where the one with the power rules, prayers for King Jesus to reign over them as potentate, and all that. It's just very different views of God and Jesus.

I can add also, personal experience of God. Beyond just coming from an NP home, very direct experience of God demonstrated Pure, and Absolute Unconditional Love. The notion of the stern God you must fear, the exact opposite was true. And verses such as "Perfect Love casts out all fear", is absolutely true on the deepest of eternal truths.

So, the tribalist interpretation of the Divine, to me, is very much a human projection of the tribal mentality upon the Absolute God. Anthropomorphisms from the warrior mind.

What makes one person lie while another is honest, one a murder and the other a healer? Each of us is unique. I think we must look at sin from the perspective of God and not our own.
I agree with this.

It points out they had free will. It does not point out they were already short a moral or two.
I'll approach this another way. Do you know what makes electricity flow over a piece of wire? Current, which moves from point A to point B occurs when there is an imbalance electrical charge. One side has a negative charge, and the other side a positive charge. The negative side is a deficiency of electons. There is an empty hole that needs to be filled.

It seeks for something to balance its charge out again. It sends out "feelers" so to speak that attracts something extra out there to come fill that empty space. There is a deficiency, there is a need that makes it "want" something. When it is in balance, it no longer sends out "I want" signals, and electricity does not flow.

So, again, if Adam and Eve were in fact "whole", made in the Image of God, there would have be absolutely ZERO deficiency that would make them even begin to want to eat something that was marked off limits. It would naturally have had no appeal to them were they truly full, were they truly whole, were they truly complete. But that is not the story. They were tempted, because of lack.

Temptation does not exist in a heart that is filled to overflowing. It cannot. There is no empty space to be filled. Abundant Love would have abounded in every step they took, every thought they thought. Each word they spoke and Truth shone out of all that was, and is.

Such a state of Being, is not tempted to sin. That state, before the Fall, was the Great Perfection. How could it sin? Why would it? Complete is Complete. There is something else there in the story, you are not seeing.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Biblical exegesis does not allow for “glossed over” inconsistencies.
I used a poor choice of words. I should have said, "overlooked" as in artistic license, like any great story where you see an inconsistency that may pop up in the story. You "overlook that" because it's a great story. Right?

Now, then, as far as your admired "biblical exegesis" goes. To use that is sort of laughable in this context. You're reading poetry! Why on earth would you critically analyze like trying to dissect a crime scene?? Honestly, I don't understand that mindset. You're not "doing science" here.

Here's this great quote I love from a Professor of Comparative Religious I found a number of years ago that never gets old. It's from an article called, "Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance" by Conrad Hyers.

"Our situation calls to mind a backstage interview with Anna Pavlova, the dancer. Following an illustrious and moving performance, she was asked the meaning of the dance. She replied, “If I could say it, do you think I should have danced it?” To give dance a literal meaning would be to reduce dancing to something else. It would lose its capacity to involve the whole person. And one would miss all the subtle nuances and delicate shadings and rich polyvalences of the dance itself.

The remark has its parallel in religion. The early ethnologist R. R. Marett is noted for his dictum that “religion is not so much thought out as danced out.” But even when thought out, religion is focused in the verbal equivalent of the dance: myth, symbol and metaphor. To insist on assigning to it a literal, one-dimensional meaning is to shrink and stifle and distort the significance. In the words of E. H. W. Meyer-Stein, “Myth is my tongue, which means not that I cheat, but stagger in a light too great to bear.” Religious expression trembles with a sense of inexpressible mystery, a mystery which nevertheless addresses us in the totality of our being."​

So, you really think "biblical exegesis" is what you need to understand the story? Maybe, try unfocusing your eyes instead, and let it wash over you as images on the night sky, seeing yourself written in these timeless characters. Imagining with wonder, not with the detective's sleuth hat.

Honest to God, there is something really wrong with us, and it has infected religion. Literalism, be that expressed religious fundamentalism, or it's brother neo-atheism with Scientism to tell them "Answers" with a capital A. It is the death of the human imagination. Where is the soul? How can we fly? How can we touch the Face of God? Is God a logical proposition too that we should exeget to understand the Truth?? How tragic. How lost. God is Poetry.

An assertion is consistent with other assertions or it is not. Granted, we should always allow for missing or incomplete information, but the only use I see for inconsistency is to disprove a particular assumption or hypothesis. IMO, cults thrive on inconsistencies and actually need their members to gloss over or accept inconsistent arguments as true.
OMG, this is the scientific method applied to finding God! How ridiculous.

Okay, I get not wanting to be led by the nose by some cult dude with his "truth from God" bull****, but then there is using that as an excuse to not let go a little from one's tight grip on their beliefs. I could dig deep as to why people do this, but I won't here.

Ultimately, you find that how you think about these can vary widely, and it not matter. In fact, that is exactly what it is supposed to do. You aren't supposed to reason it out, you're supposed to let it tell you many things that tell you about yourself, not about scientific facts.

Such confusion in religion these days. One thing the story is, is it's not about science. To make it that, you may as well put a Big Mac wrapper on it too. That cheapens it just as much.

Inconsistency is injected into the narrative when we convert Adam and Eve from man and woman to boy and girl.
Inconsistency happens when you magically turn them into fully Awakened Adults living in the Presence of God, yet, being tempted? That makes zero sense. Is God himself ever tempted to sin? No? Then why if they are Full, would they? If they were not One with God, then, they were incomplete, deficient, or "fallen", and that resulted in "sin," as it does in all of us who are not One with God. But when you are in the Presence of God, and God fills your soul, there is no temptation possible, for there is no lack in you. You are Complete.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can certainly see that, but people apply the same to the Genesis account. So rather than an eternal God it’s an eternal universe. And it wasn’t God creating but actually "nothing" that creates.
But the rationalist is not reading the Genesis account that way. They are the ones who "debunk" the myth, because they too are reading it literally, just like you are. Instead however, read literally it makes no logical sense, and must therefore be false, and rejected - tossing the baby of truth about our humanity, with the inaccuracies of scientific analysis. Quite stupid, actually.

“In the beginning, nothing created the gas from the singularity that created the heavens and the earth” might fail miserably if we 're to take it literally, but can appear more believable if we suspend our disbelief for the intent of the tale. However as you say, the rational mind will spot these problems in the story if you are asking it to be critical rather than poetic.
The way you just stated it, all that is is a "restatement" of the exact same literalist set of eyes reading the text. The "believer" reads its a factually true, and the "atheist" reads it as factually false. Neither understanding poetry.

Inconsistencies in the story are like a dash of salt here, a sprig of rosemary there, etc. They add flavor to the poem, just enough to try to get you to suspend your disbelief and go for the ride through your mind they wish to take you.

But to the literalist, they are a "problem" that must be removed! "We must fix this! That is not rosemary, that is a piece of the beef! Experts agree!" The so-called "Skeptic" then says, "That's not beef, it's rosemary! You believers live in denial. This is not real roast beef, if it were, it would not have rosemary in it! Throw this out, It's false beef! A lie!"

Yep, that pretty much summarizes this.

Agreed! Some atheists believe the creation has literally been proven in the lab, whilst Christians believe it was literally in scripture.
Well, I don't think any believes we've reproduced the Big Bang in a lab. I hope not! That would pretty much put an end to us, like having 70 gazillion nukes going off in your pocket! :)

For me, I accept what science says about the origins of the universe. They really don't say anything about God, as they can't as that is not something science is designed to investigate. I accept the universe is as old as we can tell. I don't believe they are wrong on this.

How I see God and understand our existence from God, I see no incompatibility at all. One reason I don't, is because I don't read Genesis as a literal scientific "revelation" from God. I don't need to try to make that as a religious belief fit into, or against what science teaches.

Why wouldn't I listen to them? In all factualness, they are teaching us about God! Just because it challenges your beliefs, let it! Let it challenge you! That's what a true teacher does. They challenge you to go to the next level, to look beyond what you think you know, and reach!

This too is the problem with modern religion. I has no imagination, and it has no courage. God did not intend us to be 'safe' in our thinking. He meant us to see beyond that, to see Him. Let God be God. Don't box him into your ideas about Him.

Well, we could convince them something from nothing was real. Or we could say there was no life before lightning struck some water, mixing carbon and chemicals so there was. Or we could say we descended from ape like creatures rather than A&E and we can change the garden to the wilds of Africa or Mesopotamia.
I actually don't see a problem with that. However it happened, it was God creating. Here's an interesting thought I'd like to share with you. It's how I see this.

We seem conditioned to think of the Creation as an event in the past. In reality however, the Creation is happening in every moment. Moment to moment, Creation is being brought forth into the world. Each unfolding flower, each new child born, each day again and again cycling through ushers in a new creation in each moment. The Creative force of God continues to act. It did not stop at the beginning. It is active always.

This is the immanence of God. This is the Presence of God in the world. So, when I see evolution explained, I see the Spirit of God in continual movement across the faces of the waters. I see God creating His Creation. Then ironically, to deny evolution, well.... that speaks of ourselves unwilling to face what we have seen about God. We must fear seeing God, since we aren't for some reason welcoming this knowledge.

Literally, I suppose it just boils down to where we place our faith.
I place my faith in the Presence of God. I don't place it in interpreting sacred texts. Those are not the true Foundation one should build their house upon. They are dependent on our ideas of truth, not Truth itself beyond them. The Presence of God alone is Truth.

I'm pretty sure your literal "facts" of creation will change whilst the Genesis account will remain the same.
My scientific understanding of creation is one thing. My spiritual understanding takes what that shows us, and understands it with the soul within faith. Faith should never contradict known facts. That's not faith, but fear, a lack of faith.

I can see how glossing over and applying poetic license to your creation account would be preferably to literalism, but I don't see how it works in the Genesis account where a literal approach makes more sense.
The literal approach has failed faith itself, the moment it has to deny science to fit one very specific interpretation of the text, one which a great many Christians themselves find a poor interpretation. It reminds of the Saul on the road to Damascus encountering Jesus where he tells him, "It is harder for thee to kick against the pricks". That's what science denial is. It's fighting against revealed truth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
note.....I have no religion
rogue theologian
Yet your theology evidently can't account for your claim that god does not look ahead of the present. What do you do, just parrot its claims without justification?
Exactly who's feeding you the idea that god does not look ahead of the present? I'm getting the idea you're rather ashamed of him/her/it.

Kelly of the Phoenix

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that he did know, and wanted it that way. God created mankind as a form of entertainment. It's flaws and all adding to the drama.
I've essentially come to the realization that Hellenization with the silly "ideal forms" and such nonsense polluted biblical theology. Gods didn't work that way in the ancient Middle East. They weren't omni-anything.

Ask any mother who knows her baby will be born defective but refuses to even consider an abortion. God decided to have us because He loved us.
Or, like many parents, having kids is more about the parent than the kids.

He also knows the outcome, so apparently we're well worth the effort.
He threatens to kill off the majority of the world's population after Jesus supposedly fixed things. He's not THAT impressed.

Flip side is those whom willfully reject god, and willfully wholeheartedly and eternally reject god in their hearts and gods nature of holiness, they must suffer eternal hell for what they chose to become.
If you protest something God is doing that is immoral, are you deserving of death?

God only desires holiness and righteousness of heart.
When He chooses to live by that standard, He can expect us to.

Anyways i am not christian, but that is the christian answer. How did i do?
You got the attitude right. It's wrong, but you characterized it quite well. :)

But the Bible portrays* God's power of foreknowledge as selective, when it comes to His intelligent creation, i.e., humans and angels.)
I would much rather say God is not all-knowing than to say He is but He chooses not to know. Do you think the parent is at fault if they say "I chose not to know my baby was in the car on the hot summer day"?

Selective foreknowledge means that God could choose not to foreknow indiscriminately all the future acts of his creatures.
Yes, and that would be neglect. If He wants to avoid moral culpability, He should say He just simply didn't know.

If god exists, maybe it gets its kicks watching humans behaving badly.
Well, ratings are important.

Eugenics. What if God did that, abort the "LESS FIT” and just keep the “MORE FIT”?
Like how severe genetic anomalies are weeded out through miscarriage?

Never did he give in to selfishness., even being around all the imperfect, selfish people...all that temptation...he never sinned!
He sinned a LOT, though. He killed a fig tree when it wasn't supposed to be making figs just because a guy who can snap food into existence was hungry. THAT'S not selfish? (And really, REALLY dumb?)

Remember that God only told them they would die
He told ADAM. EVE was created later and the text never mentions she got the memo.

If they could not "actively 'obeyed' or 'disobeyed' " then God would not have bothered to tell them not to eat from the tree.
We don't consider nonhumans or certain humans to be able to consent or be informed. We still expect obedience despite the unlikelihood of it happening.

I'm not following you here. I'm trying to lose 10 pounds but just decided to eat some cookies that were better left on the shelf. Since I did that of my own free will, how did the Universe determine my actions?
There are many reasons you ate the cookie. None of them thanks to some magic will. The fact you ate it despite knowing you were dieting proves the point that you are driven by biological drives.

When the serpent is talking to Eve, the FIRST WORDS about her feelings about it was that it looked yummy. That's not a rational response. It's an impulsive, instinctive one.

The woman confirmed to the serpent she understood the law
On the contrary. She added "no touchy". She was not there to hear the rule. She gets it wrong.

Though the evil which God permits he brings about the greater good. No crown without the cross.
People witnessed the cross part. No one saw the crown part. It's funny how the reward is always after it's too late.

No, it's magnanimity on God's part that we should exist at all.
I'm more of a "quality over quantity" person.

God is not disobedient to Himself, so there is no sin with God.
He says certain things are immoral and then does them. He IS disobeying Himself.

And if this was the case how could god, in good conscience, hold him responsible?
A. He and Eve technically weren't deceived as the serpent was the only one telling the truth.
B. The fact that God got caught being dishonest is why A&E aren't killed and are instead "grounded".

True, children are not capable of thinking as adults. But it would be wrong to insert the creation of A&E as boy and girl when it specifically states man and woman.
In English. They are not portrayed as anything remotely resembling a mature adult human. They act like kids. God creates "earthling" and "life-giver", not "man" and "woman".

Oeste

Really? You can support this scripturally?

Yes..God created man and woman, not boy and girl. You appear rather intent on inserting words and meanings that just aren’t there.

The burden of evidence is upon you. Since “man” can be found in the text I simply fall back and rely on it. You insert “boy” or “child” into the text and then fall back on that.

The problem with your position is that “boy” or “child” isn’t there.

Really? You can support this scripturally?
Aside from lacking that, there are many huge logical inconsistencies here (since we are applying literalism to the text we must therefore use a critical analysis to it and see if it stands).[/quote]

Okay, let’s apply critical analysis.

An adult mind is what it is because of life experiences, coupled with a mind that has proper development from one stage of growth to the next in multiple lines of development; cognitive, moral, emotional, values, etc. If you assume God created them fully mature, magically placing that lifetime of maturity already complete in their bodies as they stood up for the first time out of the mud (or the surgery depending on which creation story you are reading), then if they failed to be responsible to their programming God gave them, again, God is responsible. He didn't give them everything they needed in order not to stick their hand into the fire. There was a flaw in the design.

There was no flaw in the design. God did not “program” man but endowed him with free will. That is why we are not automatons, unable to act on our own. This doesn’t mean mankind was flawed, it simply means he was free to do as he willed…obey God or not.

Our free will gives us the ability to choose. With choice comes responsibility. When God made man in His image we received free will and we received responsibility with it. If we were created irresponsible God would never have given us dominion over the creatures of the earth until we were, and just as you must remove the cinder in your own eye before you can pluck the plank from another, you must be responsible for yourself before you can be responsible for anyone or anything else.

Choice and responsibility are consistent themes in scripture and vastly more consistent with the biblical narrative of "a man with the mind of a toddler" you wish to interject

An adult knows not to drink poison. Most adults don't see a bottle of ammonia under the sink, and go against what they heard their parent say to not drink it because some bad person said its ok. Instead, the narrative I read, sounds a hell of lot more like a child who truly doesn't understand the danger, and just has to find out for himself! That is how the story actually reads. I'm seeing a child whose innate curiosity is stronger than the external words of a parent, and they have to learn by making their own mistakes.

First, I’m not seeing “child” at all. Secondly, you present a different narrative which presupposes the veracity of a presumption that is simply non-existent in scripture.

This is not a fault of the child, but the parent. If God had made them truly adults, they would have understood innately the dangers and never have done it.

Of the hundreds of millions of "true adults" living in the world today, how many would you say understand the danger of disobeying God?

Would you drink ammonia as an adult? Is it because you're not "disobeying God", or is it because you're a mature and responsible adult? Had God made them that, would they have ate it? Would you drink ammonia?

My goodness, you certainly have an active imagination! :openmouth: Before we invent our own biblical narrative, let's look at what the serpent said to Eve:

"The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the LORD God had made. One day he asked the woman, "Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?" That is, implying God said no such thing.​

Fast forward to the current year and we have:

"Did God really say he created man and woman?" That is, implying God created kids instead.​

It's the same lie: convince the listener God didn't really mean what He said or didn't really say what He means.

But that is not retardation, that at worst would be called stagnation. Or, depending on the environment they live it, just a certain leveling out to match the world they are in. Typically it takes things like major life crisis to upset that equilibrium and spark another growth spurt. These are actually common sense things, once you stop to look at them. We continue growing all our lives. A&E were not showing signs of a fully matured adult in their actions.

Let’s get back to the Genesis account. Your assertion means that God was able to develop fully mature animals capable of building nests, finding food and home, caring for their young, and doing whatever else these creatures needed to thrive and prosper in the garden but when God created man He fell a bit short. Why? Since you eliminate free will, the only thing left here is that we were created in the image of God, so we did not have more but less ability to thrive in the garden!

I would say that on its face, such an argument is inherently illogical and inconsistent.

Going further, God does not refer to men who are emotionally and spiritually underdeveloped as “good”. That would be blatantly inconsistent with other scriptural narratives.

God made them what they are wisdom-wise, according to you, and they did not act demonstrating that existed in them.

Not exactly…I claim Adam and E had free will and responsibility. How they chose to wield this responsibility…wisely or unwisely…was entirely up to them. Unlike the creatures of the garden they were not driven by instinct but could think and reason.

Creatures obey their God given instinct and survive. Man has a God given free will, but they choose not to obey God and as aptly demonstrated we cannot survive without God anymore as animals can survive without instinct. We get lost.

That choice, had nothing to do with free-will. It had to do with being smart enough to understand. Again, a critical eye can destroy the myth - if you insist upon a literal reading.

Any narrative can be destroyed when we’re free to interject our own. Here, I'll do one better. The only difference here is that instead of changing A&E, I simply change the fruit:

“Adam and Eve did exactly as God commanded. They ate of every tree until they came upon an apple and marula with fermented fruit. After ingesting, A&E stumbled into the center of the garden and ate of the forbidden tree while drunk”.​

See how easy that was? Adam was a man, not a child. He just got drunk when he and Eve ate some fermented fruit. It's not Adam's fault when God told him to eat any tree in the garden, is it? Why is God blaming Adam for His own carelessness, leaving liquor around where he and Eve could find it?

This entire matter can be quickly resolved. Just show us where God created A&E as toddlers rather than man and woman. If you can do that I’m sure someone else will locate the fermented fruit for us and we're off to the races...A&E, poor drunken toddlers who stumbled into the garden.

I'd rather stick with the narrative as written. I see no need to go beyond it.

Reactions: Neb

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm going to be away for a few days so you can finish your responses to all of mine while I'm gone. I'll reply to this one from this morning first before I take off...

Yes..God created man and woman, not boy and girl. You appear rather intent on inserting words and meanings that just aren’t there.
I didn't say a boy and girl, but children. I'm not imagining the authors characters as toddlers, which you seem to imagine I'm saying. Again, even if they were physically adults, their innocent nature, as well as naivety about the sufferings and hardships of life made them children.

Didn't Jesus say unless we become as children we will not be able to see the kingdom of God? What better example of this than the pre-fall Adam and Eve, right?

The burden of evidence is upon you. Since “man” can be found in the text I simply fall back and rely on it. You insert “boy” or “child” into the text and then fall back on that.
It is you inserting "boy and girl" into the texts of my words. They aren't there. Children is, but in the sense of innocence, not physical maturity. Again, you seem to think that when Jesus says unless you become as a child, that would mean a form of mental retardation. Again, this is the problem with literalism.

The problem with your position is that “boy” or “child” isn’t there.
Boy isn't, which I never stated. Child is, based upon reading what they were like. They were "as children" in the Garden, like what Jesus said you and I should be like. Right?

The knowlege of good and evil, broke the spell of this childlike reality of their childlike innocence. And, just as God cursed the serpant for breaking that spell, Jesus when speaking about us becoming innocent like children, too says,

"If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble!"​

This is the story of the Garden of Eden and the Serpent, isn't it? This is the story of falling from Grace. You don't see this?

Okay, let’s apply critical analysis.
I've been encouraging you to read this as poetry. Oh well, let's go ahead and rape it with a critical analysis.

There was no flaw in the design. God did not “program” man but endowed him with free will. That is why we are not automatons, unable to act on our own.
It seems you do not understand an important aspect of how the human mind works. Do you think that the ideas of truth and reality, of right and wrong, of good vs bad, etc, just magically appear in humans innately? If so, then why does the bible say, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it"?

Why would we need to teach children? Why would we need to guide them in becoming mature and responsible? That's programming. We all are programmed in our thinking and responses by our parents, families, and our culture and language systems.

All of us are. Unless you are a wild-child raised by wolves, in which case you would be programmed by their culture and be as a wolf. So if God set them loose upon the world ready to take charge, they would have had to have been programmed by God to be that. They apparently weren't ready for that yet. Who failed in that? Them, or the one who gave them the responsibility for acting like adults? Why do you think we have drinking age laws?

No, instead, the story reads like children in actions. Their curiosity overrode beyond told by the "adult" in this story, and they didn't listen. Just like any child whose natural curiosity overrides their programming. They were programmed by nature to be inquisitive. Being told "no" doesn't do a lot when your dealing with children, or those whose life experience and naivety makes them "as children", does it?

Our free will gives us the ability to choose. With choice comes responsibility.
No. Children have free wills too. With maturity, comes responsibility, not with free will. With understanding, comes responsibility, not with "choice". Did Adam and Eve truly understand? I do not believe so. How could they have, as they had no knowledge of what good and evil actually meant?

All they knew was reality, which had no evil in it. That's like saying to me, "You must avoid "rutsabutablistyitees", at all cost!" That word means nothing to me, as it doesn't exist in my reality. How can I be responsible for something that does not have any meaning in my mind?

When God made man in His image we received free will and we received responsibility with it.
A toddler has an overwhelming abundance of free will! Does he receive responsibility with it? I can imagine a conversation from this imaginary parent now. "Now Tommy, here's a lighter I told you about, and there's the gas oven. Remember what I told you about not playing with these. Now don't burn the house down while I'm out with my friends for the evening. Have a good night alone! Remember, since you have free will, that means you can be responsible now." ;)

If we were created irresponsible God would never have given us dominion over the creatures of the earth until we were
Well, he gave us access to the tree of good and evil, and we apparently weren't responsible enough for that! Think of it like giving someone high level clearance access to nuclear weapons. Even though we may be responsible in other areas of life, that does not mean we are put in charge of things requiring higher levels of clearance access. We have to be vetted first, and there would need to be an actual reason why we should have access!

This is the equivalent of what you see here. They were given the job of naming animals, not access to nukes. Yet, God thought it was OK to place the keys of mass destruction right in their living room?? Why? Who gave them high-level security access when they clearly were not properly cleared? Who exactly is responsible here?

It's not farmers, but the dude at the highest levels that let them loose before they could be deemed responsible for that level access. The buck stops with the manager who put them in a position way beyond their level of understanding to be responsible with.

and just as you must remove the cinder in your own eye before you can pluck the plank from another, you must be responsible for yourself before you can be responsible for anyone or anything else.
While I love this verse, I think you are confused that this has anything at all to do with being responsible. It does not. It has to do with humility, not responsibility. I can learn to be humble with the gifts God has given me, but that doesn't mean I'm ready for access to the nukes.

Choice and responsibility are consistent themes in scripture and vastly more consistent with the biblical narrative of "a man with the mind of a toddler" you wish to interject
Never said the mind of a toddler. It is you injecting things into my texts. I said the innocence of a child. And I stand by that.

First, I’m not seeing “child” at all. Secondly, you present a different narrative which presupposes the veracity of a presumption that is simply non-existent in scripture.
I'm looking at the circumstances and the actions of Adam and Eve, as well as the expectations of God portrayed in the story. I see adults as children at play in the garden, naked in their innocence, unashamed, like children, unaware of existential terrors like death and disease. I see a child's innocence before the day, unaware of the tragedies the adult in the story is aware of. I see them choosing to grow up, and take that red pill and find out what the "real world" is, like Neo in the Matrix.

Of the hundreds of millions of "true adults" living in the world today, how many would you say understand the danger of disobeying God?
First of all, I'd say the number of "true adults" living in the world today is far fewer than hundreds of millions! I'd say that most adults are actually just operating as children in adult clothes. We still have those temper tantrums and cries of "that's mine!", except we do it with more "dignity" and airs of "maturity". :)

My goodness, you certainly have an active imagination! :openmouth:
I have a fruitful one. :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Before we invent our own biblical narrative, let's look at what the serpent said to Eve:

"The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the LORD God had made. One day he asked the woman, "Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?" That is, implying God said no such thing.​
No it's not. I read that as the serpent saying, "Did he really say that to you," meaning, they knew his words, but he was planting the seeds of doubt that God may not have been telling the truth about the consequences. You don't see that?

Fast forward to the current year and we have:

"Did God really say he created man and woman?" That is, implying God created kids instead.​
Haha! Aside from you equating me with the serpent, which is absurd, I never said he created them physically as children. Eve was Adam's wife. Toddlers don't have husbands and wives. But they were "as children", like Jesus said we too should be in order to see the Kingdom of God.

It's the same lie: convince the listener God didn't really mean what He said or didn't really say what He means.
No. It. Is. Not. Period. What I hear here, is you saying, "Please don't challenge how I've been thinking of these things, as for me to change how I think puts me at risk of losing my salvation! Get thee behind me Satan!". Fear. All the way up, and all the way down. This is not a godly faith, but fear.

You don't believe there is more than one way to read this story? You don't think having the way you think about things challenged or modified in any way is potentially positive instead of negative? I think this may actually be the crux of the whole problem here.

Let’s get back to the Genesis account.
I've been looking at it the whole time.

Your assertion means that God was able to develop fully mature animals capable of building nests, finding food and home, caring for their young, and doing whatever else these creatures needed to thrive and prosper in the garden but when God created man He fell a bit short. Why?
Because he didn't given chipmunks and squirrels responsibility with the keys to the nukes. He gave that to humans, who were clearly not ready for that.

Since you eliminate free will, the only thing left here is that we were created in the image of God, so we did not have more but less ability to thrive in the garden!
We were doing just fine in the Garden. Why did God place a nuke in it? We had free will, and responsibility. But we were too innocent and naive to handle the keys to a weapon of mass destructions.

I would say that on its face, such an argument is inherently illogical and inconsistent.
On the face of it, it reads exactly as I said, if you choose to apply critical thought to it. Otherwise, I'm happy reading it as a mythology instead. It's you who insist it's literal. All I'm doing it pointing out the inconsistencies if it were read that way. Why did God leave a nuke in the living room? What was its purpose in it being there? Why? Can you answer that rationally? As a test?

Going further, God does not refer to men who are emotionally and spiritually underdeveloped as “good”. That would be blatantly inconsistent with other scriptural narratives.
Do you see children as emotionally and spiritually mature? I don't. Yet, I see them as inherently good. So does God. He tells us we should be like them, in their goodness, not their maturity level. Jesus doesn't encourage us to be immature in order to see God. Just be good, like a child is.

Not exactly…I claim Adam and E had free will and responsibility.
I agree. But there are levels and degrees of responsibility. Cleary they weren't ready for that level of responsibility, the power over good and evil. They weren't ready to deal with knowing to distrust what others said. They instead innocently trusted a liar and were deceived. Why did God give a predator access to them when he would have known they were still vulnerable, not yet knowing the difference between good and evil, like a child?

How they chose to wield this responsibility…wisely or unwisely…was entirely up to them. Unlike the creatures of the garden they were not driven by instinct but could think and reason.
That is completely false. We all are driven by instincts. Everyone of us. That we can choose to say no to these instinctual impulses is a matter of learning self-discipline, through trial and error, as well as the teachings of others. Did God give them the tools to know when to distrust others? Do you see that in the narrative? When did he say, "Don't listen to the snake. And by the way, don't ask me why I put it in the garden with you."?

Creatures obey their God given instinct and survive. Man has a God given free will, but they choose not to obey God and as aptly demonstrated we cannot survive without God anymore as animals can survive without instinct. We get lost.
Well, that's not true at all. First, of course we have instincts for survival. And yes, we can survive without a religious belief in God. Do we "thrive" as well without God as with God? Oh, this is way too complex a topic to unravel here. I'd say we can be just as much in accord with nature as any of the rest of creation by listening to the instincts of our bodies, and not letting our "thinking" interfere. But when it comes to a spiritual awakening, that requires a higher light to the mind of humankind. I'll leave it at that for here.

Any narrative can be destroyed when we’re free to interject our own.
Or, it can be unfolded into new and higher meaning. I think you may be hiding your faith under the rocks of beliefs here, which is you injecting those into scripture. ;)

This entire matter can be quickly resolved. Just show us where God created A&E as toddlers rather than man and woman.
Why should I? I never claimed that.

I'd rather stick with the narrative as written. I see no need to go beyond it.
What you do not understand is that the narrative, "as written" can be read in a myriad of different ways. That's what makes a good mythology. Too bad you insist on assigning it one meaning only.

Again, from that essay I shared before about Biblical literalism,

"The literal imagination is univocal. Words mean one thing, and one thing only. They don’t bristle with meanings and possibilities; they are bald, clean-shaven. Literal clarity and simplicity, to be sure, offer a kind of security in a world (or Bible) where otherwise issues seem incorrigibly complex, ambiguous and muddy. But it is a false security, a temporary bastion, maintained by dogmatism and misguided loyalty. Literalism pays a high price for the hope of having firm and unbreakable handles attached to reality. The result is to move in the opposite direction from religious symbolism, emptying symbols of their amplitude of meaning and power, reducing the cosmic dance to a calibrated discussion.

One of the ironies of biblical literalism is that it shares so largely in the reductionist and literalist spirit of the age. It is not nearly as conservative as it supposes. It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem.
To suggest that the first chapters of Genesis ought to be read in the classroom as an alternative to evolutionary theories presupposes that these chapters are yielding something comparable to scientific theories and historical reconstructions of empirical data. Interpreting the Genesis accounts faithfully, and believing in their reliability and significance as divine revelation, is understood to mean taking them literally as history, as chronology, as scientific truth. "​

Neb

Like how severe genetic anomalies are weeded out through miscarriage?
Yeah, something like that, but God gave everyone a chance to live no matter how defective we are.

Paul writes: “and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.” 1Corinthians 15:8

The words “untimely born” literally means “abortively born” but God did not literally abort Paul but by His grace, Paul became the apostle to the Gentiles and this is what I meant by, what if God aborted the “UNFIT” and just kept the “FIT”?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I don’t see why. Adam was not sinful prior to eating the fruit (disobeying) God. God is not sinful either. Do you believe God incapable of making moral judgement because He never sins and if not, why Adam?

Adam & Eve, prior to eating of said fruit, were amoral. I.e. they did not have the capacity to make moral decisions, nor weigh the consequences of their actions. Your god is not amoral as he is allegedly the source of morality. Therefore he can make moral decisions - often he chooses to make immoral ones.

Your’re assuming God – as portrayed in the Bible – does engage in pointless endeavours, which is not correct.

I've already named examples of your god doing this but you've yet to explain why those actions are not pointless endeavours.

Contrary to your claim I think those endeavors drove home His point, so they weren’t pointless at all.

That is ridiculously unsound reasoning because humanity would not have inherited Original Sin if Yahweh had not tricked Adam & Eve into eating from the tree. There wouldn't have been any 'disobedience', as you put it, if Yahweh had simply not put the tree there to start with. There wouldn't be a point to make if Yahweh hadn't deliberately created said point in the first place.

God is our Savior so I don’t see a “third party” involved. As for the cure it’s our choice whether we want to take it or not. Your idea of God forcing a remedy on us runs contrary to free will.

Oh no. You're right. This is yet another example of your god's pointless endeavours. He sacrifices himself to himself to redeem us of the sin he tricked our ancestors into gaining. An omniscient being does not need to offer us a choice because he already knows in advance who would accept and who would reject. An omnipotent being does not anything as needlessly complicated as this; he could simply wave his hand and remove our Original Sin. Indeed, some claim he did this for Mary (very convenient) which establishes the precedent that he can and has done this already. But apparently he won't do it for the rest of us. Because 'reasons'.

But I just showed you scripture (Genesis 1: 16-28) where Adam did have that knowledge, otherwise he could not have been called good.

And if you had read that scripture properly you would realise the creation is described as 'good' before Yahweh creates humanity. Things which had already been created were described as good. Adam was not yet created, therefore Adam is not among the creations listed as good.

You apparently wish to isolate on one scriptural passage while ignoring the rest, a study tactic commonly referred to as “proof texting”. I can’t do that. I follow biblical exegesis which means I must not only read the text but its context and follow, to the extent possible, proper grammatical, literal, historical, synthesis, and practical principles.

Yet your own understanding of the text does not match your position. According to the verses you gave me: creation is called good, then humanity is started. Not the other way around.

If your statement is true you need to explain why God called Adam good while you pronounce him amoral.

Because your scripture does not mention Yahweh calling Adam good. That's why.

I’m not following you here. Knowing and practicing evil are two different things. Are you claiming they're the same? On what basis?

According to your holy book they are the same. Specifically Matthew 5:27-30

27 “You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'.
28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

This verse establishes the thought is equal in weight to the action.

That’s one amazing jump, hop, and leap of "logic" EOM! God created Adam with free will.

No he didn't.

He also created Adam “good”.

No he didn't.

Adams ability to obey or disobey simply means Adam had free will, just like God.

No it doesn't and I've already explained why. If you're just going to mindlessly repeat baseless claims then this is going to become tedious really quickly.

I’m afraid I got lost when you jumped from there to an immoral God

Well I'll try explaining it again for you. Omniscience means knowledge of all. All would include 'evil'. If Yahweh does not have knowledge of evil then there is something he does not or cannot understand - which means he is not omniscient.
However, if Yahweh is omniscient then he must by definition know evil. Since he (being omniscient) knows evil, this explains why he is capricious enough to place the tree in Eden, with the foreknowledge A&E will eat from it, then blame them for eating from it when ultimately it's his fault for putting the tree there in the first place. The possibility of Yahweh knowing evil would also explain why he deliberately inflicts an inherited sin on humanity (which we'll all suffer for eventually) and refuses to remove said sin except according to a small number of pointless parameters.

But if Yahweh knows and (as he's portrayed in your own holy text) acts on evil then he is not morally perfect as some claim.

God is able to examine all hearts, not just good ones.

So he does know evil after all.