• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Create Atheists?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Master responds "God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all - the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right."
Sorry I missed this part.
I would like to add that when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so in hopes of getting to heaven, he is doing it out of the GOODNESS of his heart and because he believes it is the right thing to do. That speaks volumes about atheists.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet, a god found in nature is not a real God. The God who created heaven and earth as revealed in the Bible is apart and beyond the material, natural world. According to the scriptures, all gods which are a part of nature are fake gods or idols made by humans.
I translate that as meaning the only way God exists is as an idea. It seems transparent to me that things are either real ─ are found in the world external to the self, nature ─ or they exist only as concepts / things imagined in individual brains.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
There is a famous story told in Chassidic literature that addresses this very question. The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.

One clever student asks "What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?"

The Master responds "God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all - the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right."

"This means," the Master continued "that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that God will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say 'I will help you.'"

ETA source: Tales of Hasidim Vol. 2 by Martin Bube
OK, but what makes you believe or think (not know) that these stories from Chassidic tales might be true or represent the truth about what God did?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Sorry I missed this part.
I would like to add that when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so in hopes of getting to heaven, he is doing it out of the GOODNESS of his heart and because he believes it is the right thing to do. That speaks volumes about atheists.
OR about human nature. Because the Bible says that God implanted the basics of right and wrong in everyone. But He did not give everyone in the world the Law of Moses to observe as commandment with its standards and practices. He did not plant the Law in the heart. So when an atheist does what is good in God's eyes, that is pleasing to Him. It is part of human nature. Even murderers and crooks know they're doing wrong, atheist or those claiming to be religious of some sort.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God did not create atheists, atheists chose to disbelieve in God.
God did not create believers, believers chose to believe in God.
Atheists chose to believe evidence, theists chose to believe spun yarn.
He did not plant the Law in the heart.
Law of Moses belongs to an extremely unjust jealous God. Torture till third or fourth generation even if the victims were innocent. Is he an ogre?

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
I don’t think it’s even rational to compare the actions of an abusive sinful finite human to an infinite Being who created heaven and earth. God is Holy and Just. God is righteousness eternally embodied. When God does or doesn’t take certain actions He does so with full understanding, wisdom, and with valid reasons. So under those conditions and if God has valid reasons for His actions, it cannot legitimately be said that God is abusive. You simply fall short in your knowledge of the big picture, which God has, and are lacking all the information and wisdom that God has.
What you are referring to here is a character in a book. You and other theists don't make observations of an actual God doing anything. No gods are known to exist outside of human imagination. And I notice as you describe your God that you ignore the very brutal, vengeful, and destructive parts of your God. I suppose you can claim your God had a change of heart and made self-improvements from one testament to another.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yet, a god found in nature is not a real God. The God who created heaven and earth as revealed in the Bible is apart and beyond the material, natural world. According to the scriptures, all gods which are a part of nature are fake gods or idols made by humans.
Which makes it impossible for mere mortals like yourself to know if this God you read about in a book is real or imagined. Now before you go onto a thing about how you know God exists because you had experiences, well, how did you discern a real experience of a real God from an imagined experience that you copied from other Christians?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Which makes it impossible for mere mortals like yourself to know if this God you read about in a book is real or imagined. Now before you go onto a thing about how you know God exists because you had experiences, well, how did you discern a real experience of a real God from an imagined experience that you copied from other Christians?

I would have given anything to experience God in my life when I was a child and when I was a devout Christian. But despite all of my efforts to experience God during these times, I never had any of the positive experiences that other Christians talk about having with God in their lives. I didn't feel peace and joy in my life from believing in God. In fact, I didn't feel any peace and joy in my life until after I disavowed my belief in God and renounced my Christian faith. I began to feel peace in my heart after I finally let go of what I refer to as the fearmongering beliefs of Christianity: fear of God's wrath; fear of sinning against God; fear of losing salvation; and fear of going to hell. I can honestly say that believing these things was very detrimental to my mental, emotional, and physical well-being.

I can't speak for other people about their personal faith and belief in God, but I genuinely believed in God myself when I was a child, and I'd frantically pray to him, pleading with him to stop my adopted mother and older brother from hitting me. But despite all the years I prayed to him, I was still abused at home and perpetually bullied in school. I suffered abuse for 13 1/2 years growing up, and I was bullied for the entire 12 years I was in school. To be honest, I do not believe that God is any different than my extended family, all the neighbors, my teachers in school, the pastor and church congregation, and everyone else in the town where I lived who knew that I was being abused at home and bullied in school. None of these people ever lifted a finger to save me from being abused or bullied, and neither did God. Based on the fact that God never bothered to save me from being abused and bullied when I was growing up, I no longer believe that God is loving and merciful towards me or towards the rest of humanity as I had been indoctrinated to believe.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Wrong. Parents are usually the ones who instill a belief in God, although the very young might be prone to believe almost anything given the right (or wrong) tuition, and we do seem to have tendencies towards believing all sorts of things anyway, unless we do some reasonable analysis as to such.

And you are wrong also it seems as to why people become atheists, but no doubt that hardly bothers you, so you will just continue on, as many do even when others contradict these apparent beliefs.
" Parents are usually the ones who instill a belief in God "

Does one mean that when a child is born, thereafter, the parent must have no role in the upbringing of a child, please? Right?

Regards

F1fan

Veteran Member
I would have given anything to experience God in my life when I was a child and when I was a devout Christian. But despite all of my efforts to experience God during these times, I never had any of the positive experiences that other Christians talk about having with God in their lives. I didn't feel peace and joy in my life from believing in God. In fact, I didn't feel any peace and joy in my life until after I disavowed my belief in God and renounced my Christian faith. I began to feel peace in my heart after I finally let go of what I refer to as the fearmongering beliefs of Christianity: fear of God's wrath; fear of sinning against God; fear of losing salvation; and fear of going to hell. I can honestly say that believing these things was very detrimental to my mental, emotional, and physical well-being.

I can't speak for other people about their experiences with God, but I genuinely believed in him when I was a child, and I'd frantically pray to him, pleading with him to stop my adopted mother and older brother from hitting me. But despite all the years I prayed to him, I was still abused at home and perpetually bullied in school. I suffered abuse for 13 1/2 years growing up, and I was bullied for the entire 12 years I was in school. To be honest, I don't believe that God is any different than my extended family, all the neighbors, my teachers in school, the pastor and church congregation, and everyone else in the town where I lived who knew that I was being abused at home and bullied in school. None of these people ever lifted a finger to save me from being abused or bullied, and neither did God. Based on the fact that God never bothered to save me from being abused when I was growing up, despite my desperate pleas, I no longer believe that God is loving and merciful towards me or towards the rest of humanity as I was indoctrinated to believe.
My family was religious. One aunt was very, very religious and it was what I observed about her that made me doubt any sort of God existed and that faith was an illusion. One incident was when I was 18 and I had met a classmate of my cousin when i was visiting them. She and I had fun together at their school square-dance. They both went to the same church. This was a smart girl for a small town girl. Ambitious and independent. She worked to get a bible study group at their school that would meet before school, and all they wanted was a room. I didn't hear all the controversy about it all but it blew up a few days later. At dinner that night my aunt was saying bad things about this girl, which I found odd because all she wanted to do was have a student bible study, not school affiliated, just at the school. A few hours after dinner there was a knock at their door and it ws this girl. She wanted to talk to me of all people. We sat in my grandmothers car for hours and she cried about everyone turned their backs on her. It occurred to me that a Christian girl turned to an atheist for comfort and support because her fellow churchgoers turned their backs on her. That was eye opening.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
My family was religious. One aunt was very, very religious and it was what I observed about her that made me doubt any sort of God existed and that faith was an illusion. One incident was when I was 18 and I had met a classmate of my cousin when i was visiting them. She and I had fun together at their school square-dance. They both went to the same church. This was a smart girl for a small town girl. Ambitious and independent. She worked to get a bible study group at their school that would meet before school, and all they wanted was a room. I didn't hear all the controversy about it all but it blew up a few days later. At dinner that night my aunt was saying bad things about this girl, which I found odd because all she wanted to do was have a student bible study, not school affiliated, just at the school. A few hours after dinner there was a knock at their door and it ws this girl. She wanted to talk to me of all people. We sat in my grandmothers car for hours and she cried about everyone turned their backs on her. It occurred to me that a Christian girl turned to an atheist for comfort and support because her fellow churchgoers turned their backs on her. That was eye opening.

I can sympathize with this girl because I was repeatedly stabbed in the back by Christians when I was still one. I have enough stories about being backstabbed and gossiped about during the years I was a Christian that I could probably write a book. I was once told by a pastor that I suffered abuse while growing up because God was punishing me for the sins of my biological parents. I truly believed it because generational sins are biblical. It's written in the Bible that God punishes generations of families for the sins of their ancestors. The same pastor who told me that God was punishing me also told me that it was obvious to him that God hated me, and he called me a cursed soul. Of course, I believed him because I knew what the Bible said about God hating Esau and how God cursed Cain. So, there was no doubt in my mind that I was cursed by God and that he hated me. I'd like to reiterate the fact that being a Christian was detrimental to my mental, emotional, and physical well-being, and I can't emphasize enough that I never want to be a Christian again.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I would ask myself a question. Seeing a theist gives both question and answer in his own human mind.

If I keep quoting a God that had created everything yet evolution cooled allows living. So creation had come from destruction. Then that God status had destroyed a part of its own being.

I would ask why a spiritual being displayed by how I personally feel act relate associate my feelings to my family..extended family named as my brother sister as everyone and care for nature explicitly.

Why if I'm so caring why it caused as a creator higher being such evil?

I would then realise I'm living proof that I too was that creator once and inherited my lesson. Life on earth.

And then my death. For having harmed my original spiritual eternal God family.

I would therefore relate this advice as I live via my owned mind.

I would be enabled to explicitly claim if I try to cause as little harm as possible to anything. In life to be harmonious and respectful of my new being.... human .....
Then as a theist a thinker and a storyteller I would teach my family what being an inventive destroyer is.

In my families life. Just my equal a theist...a thinker.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That story would be great if it weren't for the fact that, in the entire history of humankind, there isn't one single recorded act of charity or compassion haven been performed by any atheist, anywhere, at any time.

And I defy anyone to prove me wrong.
( :D )

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A theist a man just a healthy human first wanted to practice science.

Earth products first. Design is manipulated by thinking men. Non stop as soon as you begin change you haven't ended your owned self deception. As thinking keeps by physical action machine function.

First position liar man brother you didn't own why planet earth existed. Nor why any variable ground mass product existed.

Exact human theist a theist you're an egotist who contradicts yourself.

One theist says I theory about God so it makes my terms holy.

In natural first man adult memory you man theist thinker named natural earth first yourself before you changed it. Holy God.

Man ually. All.

So a theist says to atheist the same self. As a human you lie theist storyteller. A contradiction term direct human owned.

Claiming by memory only my first man words were holy God. Then the same man changed God.

As a natural spiritual conscious healer study I shake my head in disbelief about non self recognition.

Theist says no dust reacted. Life says I live in water. Water gone in dust reaction...you lied. You were replacing water yourself to maintain reactive controls.

By mechanics pyramid window opened water pumped cooled facure.

In a water oxygenated by nature life as biology with God states is direct only science of man advice after garden nature existed.

Living in ground rooted stable.

Water with dust reacting is just disappearance of water and dust.

74x12

I do believe that was my point. The post is my answer to all those who suppose that you cannot be good without God. I believe something quite different -- if you ARE good, belief or disbelief in God won't change that, and if you are not good -- well, same thing. You might just try harder to hide it.
Well they're right but not for that reason. Of course you can do some good things as an atheist as well as anyone. But can you really be good without God? No, it's just human pride to think you can be good; especially without God. And even many religious people think they can be good without God.

But, yes you can do some good as an atheist.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well they're right but not for that reason. Of course you can do some good things as an atheist as well as anyone. But can you really be good without God? No, it's just human pride to think you can be good; especially without God. And even many religious people think they can be good without God.
What does it mean to be "good without God?" Do you mean good without believing in God?
What does it mean to be "God with God?" Does that mean good by believing in God?
Why do people need God to be good? Do you mean following what is in the Bible?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I disagree, no one is born atheist. All children know there is a Creator God even if they do not fully understand everything about God. That is the reason Jesus said...
But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matthew 18:6)

As well, the scriptures indicate that everyone is aware of God’s existence, yet some choose to suppress this knowledge...
Romans 1:17-21
I'd expect to read such things in a pamphlet advertising for Christianity. But do you have evidence for it?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would have given anything to experience God in my life when I was a child and when I was a devout Christian.
I dunno... Wouldn't that depend upon the God? Sure, if God is all-loving as Christians believe that'd be great, but what reason do we have to believe that is true, unless we believe in the Bible? There certainly is no objective evidence of an all-loving God.