• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did God Create Atheists?

Nimos

@Nimos, in my mind it really is quite simple: good people will do good, whether or not they believe in God. That's what it means to be a good person. And bad people, as we have seen throughout human history, regardless of their religious beliefs, will do what they will. How else could you suppose that a believer in an all-forgiving God could think it right to burn people at the stake? And it was a whole church that did that!
Well I don't think your question solves it. Because we know some people have done bad things, lets just go with the burn people at the stake thing. But if what he is saying is that religious people gets their morality from God or their religion, then clearly these should not be capable of doing such thing and therefore I assume that those that burn people at the stake must therefore be atheists, or religious people which doesn't follow the morality of God?
Do you see the issue then?

Either the atheists for some reason are burning people at the stakes or religious people don't really get their morality from God, or are simply able to not follow it whenever they chooses, but then what is the difference between them and atheists?
Except based on what he write, is that atheists are able to show true compassion. But atheists do whatever they will regardless of their religious belief, both if its good or bad. So what is the difference, between religious people and atheists? What is the point of talking about a lesson and pointing out that atheists in particular can do kindness etc. without a believe in God, when religious people can do the exact same thing.

This becomes very messy quickly, if we are to go down that route I think.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
There is a famous story told in Chassidic literature that addresses this very question. The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.

One clever student asks "What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?"

The Master responds "God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all - the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right."

"This means," the Master continued "that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that God will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say 'I will help you.'"

ETA source: Tales of Hasidim Vol. 2 by Martin Bube
God gives us brains to use.

Clara Tea

WHY DID GOD CREATE ATHEISTS?

There is a famous story told in Chassidic literature that addresses this very question. The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.

One clever student asks "What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?"

The Master responds "God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all - the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right."

"This means," the Master continued "that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that God will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say 'I will help you.'"

"Why did God create atheists?" Chat with intellectual equals.

Someone has to tell the pious not to kill (if they insist upon war and insist that they must defy God's commandments). Isn't it odd that the prim and proper are the ones who insist upon violating God's laws.

However, atheists don't believe that there is an unseen being that is their equal.

Clara Tea

God gives us brains to use.

W. C. Fields said that when God was passing out noses, he thought that he said "roses," so he asked for a big red one. (Hung over, constantlly drunk).

If common sense is common, why don't theists understand that God said "thou shalt not kill" not "kill without proof, and try to unscramble the facts later." Not "torture innocent people until they confess to crimes that they didn't commit, in order to justify unjust wars."

Common sense should mean that everyone has some.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

G-d created humans beings as believers, some of them fell from that original position and became non-believers, and they like to be called Atheist/s belonging to Atheism or many of its shades/sects/denominations, I understand, please. Right?

Regards

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
W. C. Fields said that when God was passing out noses, he thought that he said "roses," so he asked for a big red one. (Hung over, constantlly drunk).

If common sense is common, why don't theists understand that God said "thou shalt not kill" not "kill without proof, and try to unscramble the facts later." Not "torture innocent people until they confess to crimes that they didn't commit, in order to justify unjust wars."

Common sense should mean that everyone has some.
Well I'm a pacifist.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Cart before the horse.

Heyo

Veteran Member

G-d created humans beings as believers, some of them fell from that original position and became non-believers, and they like to be called Atheist/s belonging to Atheism or many of its shades/sects/denominations, I understand, please. Right?

Regards
All humans are born atheist. Most are also born with a propensity for superstition. That superstition can be filled with religion.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Lucky student to have such a wise master.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
However that doesn't really make sense, I think. Even if that is the excuse, because then what he is writing is either wrong or he is straight up lying.

If a religious person hold the belief that all atheists pretend that God doesn't exist, then surely saying that "atheist teach the lesson of true compassion" seems weird, because atheists would not do that, but would in fact be lying about their none believe in God, which could really be an expression of compassion I think.

And why would any theist want to sin, under the excuse of being atheist, I don't really follow that logic? Wouldn't it be easier to just claim to be religious and do sinful things, it just seems strange to me :D
It is indeed strange; and I don't know why they do it. Of course I don't suggest all Christians do that, but the far-right kind seem to be more prone to it.

InChrist

Free4ever

Except God did not create atheists. God created humans to exist in loving relationship with Himself the Creator. Atheists choose to reject the love and purpose they were created for.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or atheists are obsessed with God.
For myself, I know what a purely conceptual / imaginary God is, but no one seems able to tell me what a real God is, such that if we found a real candidate we could determine whether it was God or not.

If you can provide such a description of a real God, I'm all ears.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
God created atheists because God was fed up with creating so many different religious beliefs, or just was bored and had a day off. :oops:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Nice story l shall tell my children

Viker

Häxan
Compassion is inherent. Some require a higher power to draw it out. Atheists, as well as other types, need only to witness the human condition to draw it out. No particular group corners the market on compassion or even the lack thereof.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Except God did not create atheists. God created humans to exist in loving relationship with Himself the Creator. Atheists choose to reject the love and purpose they were created for.

And you evidence for this is?

I consider it the other way, humanity did not need gods but greed and group think devised a way to make the group feel better while slaughtering or even just giving nasty verbals to those not in their group. That something was a god.